other Gadget Gurus out there?

Options
This diet has been working for me so well, because I get to play with a gadget (my android smart phone), and I find I am so obsessed with seeing the data line up correctly, that it's motivated me to put less in my mouth!!

So far I've lost 5 pounds, which is a great start towards my goal. I feel I can keep this up for as long as necessary! I'm not eating much different, just less at each meal.

I'm a software engineer, so this motivation makes sense in my case - how about any one else?

Does anyone else find themselves really motivated by getting to work with their smartphone, and seeing each day finish with a green number, rather than a red one?

Replies

• MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Smart phone, heart rate monitor, wireless scale for weight, body fat, etc.
    Masses of data to keep me motivated.
  • kellymarie619
    Options
    The mobile apps are actually what drew me here in the first place. I need something I can take with me...I can't be stuck to the computer all day. And forget writing it on paper, I'd lose that with my busy life. I just love being able to plug it into my smartphone, and able to check the news feed of my friends. It is quite addicting!
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the c25k program so I run the c25k app along with the runkeeper app all while listening to pandora. It's fun to track the progress on runkeeper too. Oh yeah, and I wear the Polar FT7 to track heart rate and actual calories burned. Good times.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    In the last couple months I have purchased quite a few new things, HRM, food scale, five finger shoes, lets just say i love buying thigns for a good cause. Haha
  • Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Does runkeeper give you the queues when to walk and when to run while playing music? I heard that there was android app that does that. I was interested in using that for the c25k.
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    Oh....welcome to heaven! I have a bodybugg (or BodyMedia FIT) to track how many calories per minute I burn, and how many steps I take in the time I'm wearing it. They want you to wear it 24x7, but I don't always do that.

I have an Android phone, so I have my Bugg reporting to it's app there, but I use EndoMondo to track my outdoor activities. Check out their apps and their website - LOVE this free app: it tracks your route via GPS, but will also tell you which song you were listening to when you were on your path, the # of cheeseburgers you're burning and the elevation differences you saw while you were doing it.

And then I have MFP for tracking it all in one place.

BTW - fellow geek here in case you didn't guess that already :) I've gotten so involved with all my tracking, that I'm down 32 so far...just wait until you get into the challenges!
  • alibeany
    alibeany Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I agree - I'm loving seeing those green numbers. I have also found another app- Runkeeper, which lets me see my pace,calories burnt,mph and a map- all while playing my fav music. It's my new best friend
  • lastrabbit
    Options
    i completely agree with the motivation caused by seeing immediate results on your phone, it almost is competetive for me, like a sport: me versus the red number. Weight loss can be difficult for people because normally results do not appear for some time, but with this phone app, you get to see the immediate differences you are making every time you eat. Overall good to hear you are already finding success with this app, keep it up mang.
  • ukhennin
    Options
    Does runkeeper give you the queues when to walk and when to run while playing music? I heard that there was android app that does that. I was interested in using that for the c25k.

I have to run the c25k app simultaneously to get the ques. I just run runkeeper to track the distance and pace. The HRM takes care of the calories burned.
  • ukhennin
    Options
    I agree - I'm loving seeing those green numbers. I have also found another app- Runkeeper, which lets me see my pace,calories burnt,mph and a map- all while playing my fav music. It's my new best friend

I use runkeeper and a hrm at the same time and fyi the calories burned on runkeeper are way off. I can't remember which way they're off because I don't pay attention to them anymore, but the first couple times I did runkeeper was no where close.
  • Gydyon
    Gydyon Posts: 1
    Options
    Absolutely. I am a gastric bypass guy who let about 1/3 of my lost weight creep back on. The ability to track and look up everything on my Android phone is what is keeping me interested, and that helps to prevent my motivation to lag.
  • debdptg
    debdptg Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I love the bar scanner - that is fun! Plus, I find that being able to look up a food BEFORE I eat it often changes my mind when I am out and about. Hard to eat a burger after you find out it has 1200 calories - the steamed shrimp is much more appealing then.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Yes! I log everything in the phone app religiously! I love it! As soon as I am done eating (sometimes while I am eating!) and as soon as I am done working out I am logging everything instantly. I love playing with the phone app....and I love the website too!
  • frankimbur
    frankimbur Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies!