Looking for a trainer?

Options
Hi everyone would like any suggestions on starting out with a trainer I belong to the YMCA what should I look for and how long do I need one for . Thank you in advance

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Someone just asked about trainers earlier today:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/38795060/#Comment_38795060

As far as how many sessions, why do you want a trainer? Do you have any orthopedic issues? What is your overall goal?
  • linda212121
    linda212121 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am not tone and I need to strengthen my core because I have a small back issue but it's my right knee that has pins and a plate that I will see what I can do
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I would ask for a routine that's mostly freeweights, not machines where your body is supported. It could take 5 to 15 sessions to learn a basic routine, depending on how quickly you learn the exercises. Take good notes or get a routine in writing. Try to find a trainer with experience working around knee injuries. Having a kinesiology degree or NASM-CES certification would be ideal, but that may be hard to find at the Y.

For back pain, google "drawing in maneuver" and practice it all day long while sitting, walking, etc. That tends to be the best exercise for back pain in my experience. :+1: