Meeting protein goals on a plant-based diet

Options
I've been consistently a bit under my protein goals and I want to crowdsource ideas for what others with a similar diet use to get all their protein in. Give me an idea of what you eat in a day!

- I generally do not eat dairy products
- I use a plant based protein in my morning smoothie
- I use nuts and seeds and nut butters but would like to get more lower-fat proteins in
- I eat soy products but not a ton bc they've been shown to mess with hormones and I already produce too much estrogen.
- I should probably eat more beans but don't want to live in a permanent fart cloud

HALP

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Have you considered seitan? It's incredibly high in protein, soyfree (assuming it doesn't include soy sauce for flavor), and if you make your own you can make it pretty low fat.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I like beans. And I'm not in a permanent fart cloud..lol. well, sometimes. But I think if you take it slow, your body acclimates to the fiber. Cauliflower is more gassy to me than lentils & beans.

And I think when you make the beans from dried, it gives me more gas. I buy canned. Friends use beano and say it works.

What about spirulina? I had a vegan friend that used that. I think it's made from seaweed.
  • burnsdesi
    burnsdesi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Have you considered seitan? It's incredibly high in protein, soyfree (assuming it doesn't include soy sauce for flavor), and if you make your own you can make it pretty low fat.

I had no idea this was soy free. I just assumed it was a soy product! This is awesome. Even when I was an omnivore, I remember really liking seitan. Thanks!
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. I had a ton of problems getting adequate protein so I started eating meat again.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    beans...canned or soaked, drained then cooked have less methane, generally...also lentils are great to use in place of regular refried pinto beans if you add some seasoning like paprika...

also seitan...also soy doesn't mess with hormones so no need to avoid it, I just would over do it on it since you should have a balanced, varied diet...grains like quinoa or brown rice or seeded breads are great too and oatmeal, just throw some nuts in it, or you can also put protein powder in it. There's also some brands of vegan greek yogurt like daiya
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    beans...canned or soaked, drained then cooked have less methane, generally...also lentils are great to use in place of regular refried pinto beans if you add some seasoning like paprika...

also seitan...also soy doesn't mess with hormones so no need to avoid it, I just would over do it on it since you should have a balanced, varied diet...grains like quinoa or brown rice or seeded breads are great too and oatmeal, just throw some nuts in it, or you can also put protein powder in it. There's also some brands of vegan greek yogurt like daiya

FYI -- the oligosaccharides in beans may cause some people to produce methane when they are broken down during digestion, but beans themselves don't contain methane.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options

FYI -- the oligosaccharides in beans may cause some people to produce methane when they are broken down during digestion, but beans themselves don't contain methane.

That's what I meant sorry...
  • shri2314
    shri2314 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I wanna quit my whey protein suppliment and consume it from food.can anyone suggest me good source of protien from food that I can consume after my workout for recovery.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    shri2314 wrote: »
    I wanna quit my whey protein suppliment and consume it from food.can anyone suggest me good source of protien from food that I can consume after my workout for recovery.

Plant-based or any kind of protein?
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    If we're talking vegan based diets, I'm afraid it's really going to come down to legumes and nuts. I have had great success with soy and the proposed estrogen affects of it aren't any where near as drastic as you would think. Personally, I don't believe that soy can negatively impact estrogen levels beyond some marginal increases, as long as you're a generally healthy female. The fart cloud is definitely something you'd like to avoid, but taking an inhibitor like Bean-O should solve that problem. I am severely lactose intolerant, but love cereal, so I go with Lactaid! Hope that helps
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    aelunyu wrote: »
    If we're talking vegan based diets, I'm afraid it's really going to come down to legumes and nuts. I have had great success with soy and the proposed estrogen affects of it aren't any where near as drastic as you would think. Personally, I don't believe that soy can negatively impact estrogen levels beyond some marginal increases, as long as you're a generally healthy female. The fart cloud is definitely something you'd like to avoid, but taking an inhibitor like Bean-O should solve that problem. I am severely lactose intolerant, but love cereal, so I go with Lactaid! Hope that helps

Beano has gelatin, so it wouldn't be appropriate for those shooting for veganism.
  • JacquiH73
    JacquiH73 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Nuts, beans (including soy), and whole grains - all are great sources of protein. I have no problems with soy and hormone imbalances. I find the more I eat beans the more tolerant my stomach gets for them. I found the opposite with dairy. After giving up dairy for several months I've developed a lactose intolerance. I cannot eat dairy in large portions without feeling distressed.

I noticed that the food database on MFP doesn't always properly register the right macros. I just make sure to eat a variety of wholefoods throughout the week. I use my diary to help keep me accountable for my eating habits and exercise. I don't stress on the macros. I don't worry about being protein deficient. I get plenty from plant-based sources.

Just a note: a plant-based wholefoods diet is not necessarily vegan. It can be flex or reductionist if the person chooses to consume small amounts of meat dairy fish or eggs on occasion. Not that there is anything wrong with being vegan but vegan diets aren't always wholefood plant-based and not all wholefood based dieters adhere to total veganism.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, lentils, or beans.

Might want to ake sure ypu know the minimum of protien you need in case you are going by standards MFP set.

(Body weight) X (body fat %)= grams of protien needed
  • JacquiH73
    JacquiH73 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    This past weekend I was making my vegan faken-chicken tacos and I took a look at the nutritional info on the meat replacement product I use. It was 20g of protein per 85g/3oz serving and only 120calories per. Even though I'm not a huge fan of processed food I eat this on occasion when looking to reminisce back on my meat eating days. I use it for faken tacos and faken curry salad sandwiches. It is mainly soy and pea protein based and is high in protein and low in fat and sugar - http://beyondmeat.com/products/view/grilled-strips (there's a store locator on their website).
  • Zulu87
    Zulu87 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Lentils are the bomb!!! So high in protein and fiber so they fill you up. I use canned beans and really rinse them which helps. There is also a type of seaweed called kombu you can add when you cook beans to aid in digestion. You don't eat the kombu, just remove after cooking!
  • sybillabryson
    sybillabryson Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I like tempeh. Fermented soy does not have the same kind of bad reputation as regular but after doing some research im not really worried about soy messing with my hormones. I eat beans almost daily and I really don't fart more than the average person...and my farts smell good anyway because i don't eat meat. :)
  • sybillabryson
    sybillabryson Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Also I get 100-130 grams a day but i also eat dairy and eggs. I love eggs. You didn't say you were vegan. Maybe just eat like 3 eggs a day. I really enjoy quiche, omelets...really eggs prepared anyway. Since i'm pregnant i started eating fish too but it grosses me out. It would be very hard to stay low calorie if your main source of protein is nuts.