Calories

Options
Hi
How do you know how many calories you burn

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    That depends. Are you asking about exercise calories, calories burned from normal everyday activities, or calories burned simply by existing?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit and have it synced with mfp.
  • LorenzoDaGREAT
    LorenzoDaGREAT Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor, comes with watch and chest strap
  • debvick2000
    debvick2000 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm talking about everyone who posting on mfp it says how many calories they've burned I also have a fit bit and I've synced it to my mfp I just want to make sure I'm doing this right
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    MFP assumes that you are burning some number of calories based on your size and your normal activity level, then they expect you to log your exercise activities. I have a Garmin Edge that provides that information for my bicycle rides. If I were to do other activities I would just use the exercise database.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I just guesstimate right now. When I first started MFP I would look up the exercise and enter the time and would grossly overestimate. I used to wear a fitbit but I sit all day and my exercise is not focused on steps so all that did was discourage me. For now I try not to eat back my exercise calories so I just guesstimate and am aware of this. This seems to work for me at the moment.
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm talking about everyone who posting on mfp it says how many calories they've burned I also have a fit bit and I've synced it to my mfp I just want to make sure I'm doing this right

What does FitBit say your total calorie burn is?
    What is your calorie goal set to on MFP?
    How big are your exercise adjustments?
    Do you have negative calorie adjustments enabled?
  • debvick2000
    Options
    I'm not sure I'll have to check
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You can know how many calories you burn by accurately logging your food intake and monitoring your weight over a few weeks. As one pound of fatty tissue equals around 3500, you can extrapolate your total expenditure per day. I'm burning around 1850 calorie per day, per my estimations.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Trust your FitBit numbers.....for awhile. The numbers do work out for a lot of people. Then over time you may find that your FitBit is very accurate....or not so much. But your logging and your rate of loss (actual results) will help you pinpoint your calorie burn.

FitBit info here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    You don't :smiley: you have to guess, but if you look up the Harris-Benedict equation, you'll find a calculator to get your Base Metabolic Rate (calories to stay alive in a coma), then you'll have to guess at the rest. Most heart rate based fitness trackers will get close. My BMR is 1511 and I do another about 400 to 500 calories of stuff like walking around, fidgeting, and exercise during the day. My Garmin VivoSmart HR helps.
  • debvick2000
    Options
    Thanks everyone this helps me a lot