Should I be eating carbs??

Options
I consistently come short of my carbohydrate "goal" as I log my foods. I'm focused more on protein and fiber, and also I have digestive issues and feel better eating low-carb. Is there any reason for me to eat more carbs?

Replies

• MeredithDeVoe1
    MeredithDeVoe1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Susan.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I consistently come short of my carbohydrate "goal" as I log my foods. I'm focused more on protein and fiber, and also I have digestive issues and feel better eating low-carb. Is there any reason for me to eat more carbs?

No
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Low carb is not necessary to lose weight, but you also don't need to reach any sort of carb goal.

Eat what satisfies you within your calorie limit. You're doing fine.
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options

There are many people on a Keto diet, and they do weight-loss and healthy living just fine. It depends on the individual really. I personally love carbs, and feel more energetic on my workouts with them. Some people love high protein diets which is good too (unless you have a pre-existing kidney disease, then consult your doctor regarding your protein intake). So in the end, try both, and see how your body reacts to either one.
  • MeredithDeVoe1
    Options
    Thanks. I just wanted to be sure. I didn't pay attention to protein and it cost me time and effort... The only time I really "need" carbs is for migraine recovery. They are like opium then!!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    The only time I really "need" carbs is for migraine recovery. They are like opium then!!

OMG Yes. I luckily haven't had migraines in ages but salty fries were the only thing that ever made me feel better outside of sleeping in a pitch black room!

• Thoin
    Thoin Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it depend on the carbs you eat? For example, I would say no to more processed carbs like white bread but yes to healthy carbs like vegetables.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Thoin wrote: »
    Wouldn't it depend on the carbs you eat? For example, I would say no to more processed carbs like white bread but yes to healthy carbs like vegetables.

Unless you have a medical reason to, you don't need to cut out bread
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Thoin wrote: »

In terms of weight loss the only thing that matters is that you're eating at the correct calorie deficit for your weight goals. What you eat though, or how many carbs you're consuming, is pretty irrelevant. Nothing wrong with bread, as long as it fits into your calorie goals.

OP, focus on your calorie intake and then eat in a way that's sustainable for you and your lifestyle. That will vary between people so just experiment with different foods/macros ratios and see what clicks for you :)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Your body runs on carbs, so eat carbs when you are going to need energy quickly (exercise, etc.). If you aren't exerting yourself, then the slower process that is involved in converting other things into usable energy is sufficient.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    There is no requirement for humans to consume carbohdrates at all. Eat as much or as little as suits your needs.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    There is no requirement for humans to consume carbohdrates at all. Eat as much or as little as suits your needs.

This is true. Humans can eat virtually zero cars and be completely healthy eating quality animal products.

There's no such thing as a carbohydrate deficiency.
  • MeredithDeVoe1
    Options
    Thanks all!
  • larry_world
    larry_world Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    For me personally I stay away from carbohydrates if I can help it except for fruits and sweet potatoes. The only time I will eat carbohydrates really is before or immediate after a workout.