What is my true weight.

Options
Everyday I weight myself and everyday and even during the day my weight fluctuates. This morning my weight was 80.3kgs and tonight it was 82.6kgs. During the week it fluctuated from 81-82kgs. What is my true weight? Can my lowest weight be my true weight?

Replies

• pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Your weight will always fluctuate - certainly throughout the day, as you eat drink, breathe, sweat, excrete... all those things will have an impact on the weight of your body overall. And throughout the week and the month - due to the things you eat and drink, the exercise you do, and the impact of hormones, injury, recovery etc.

I don't really think there is any such thing as "true weight" but if you want to get a good overall picture, pick one time of day to weigh (lots of people like to weigh in first thing in the morning after you've used the toilet) and then look at the changes over time. If you are going to weigh yourself every day, then you might like a trend weight app - Happy Scale is one for iOS which smoothes out the day to day fluctuation and gives you a better long term picture.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Your true weight is the weight you see when you get on a properly functioning scale. Everybody's weight fluctuates throughout the day and often daily. Think about the fact that your food, sweat, waste, etc all weigh something. As you eat, void, etc your weight is bound to fluctuate. You are more than fat/muscle/bones.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Get up in the morning, go to the toilet and weigh yourself naked. That is the most consistent way to weigh yourself.

Of course you will weigh more in the evening as you have eaten and drunk fluids.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You will get more consistency if you weigh in the morning on the same day each week. Trends are more important than the specific number. If you are tending toward higher numbers then you are gaining weight. If you are tending toward lower numbers then you are losing weight.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I think if you weighed yourself nude, in the morning, after using the restroom each day for a week and took an average, that would be your true weight.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    There is no true weight. Only solid objects have a fixed weight - like bricks or clothing store mannequins. You are not a solid object, you are a complex organism made largely of water. It's like asking the true weight of a wet sponge.

What you have is a weight range. Mine at the moment is between 12 stone 12 and 13 stone 2 (180lb-184lb). I am working on getting it down to between 10st 3 and 10st 7 (143lb-147lb).

This is why things like weight watchers' 2lb maintenance range make no sense.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    There is no "true weight," only an approximate weight range.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Why did you weight yourself after eating all day? Food and liquids have weight so of course you are going to be heavier
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    If you are tracking fat loss/gain, then it makes sense to go with your lowest weight. Things like water and waste weight change often and quickly. Fat does not.