Is this schedule good or bad?

Options
This is my current schedule of exercise. Is it too much? Not enough? Should I add more exercises with weights? M-F I do Cardio...30 minues on Bike, 30 minutes on treadmill and 8 minute Tae-Bo. O also do Abs on M-W-F

On M-W-F I do the following exercises for Arms and Legs
Palms Up Wrist Curl (FA)
Biceps Curl (BC)
Palms Down Wrist Curl (FA)
Biceps Curl (N-Grip) (BC)
Seated Triceps Extension (Tri)
Lying Triceps Extension (Tri)
Leg Raises (UL)
Leg Curls (UL)
Calve Raises (LL)

On T-T-S I do the following for Chest, Back and Shoulders
Kneeling Bent Over Row (B)
Straight-Arm Pullover (C)
Bent over Row (B)
Shoulder Press (N-Grip) (S)
*Bent-Arm Pullover (C)
Upright Row (S)
DB Bench Press (N-Grip) (C)

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Also, ever since I increased my exercising, my weight loss has stopped.. I know muscle weighes more than fat but I aint seeing it. And my arms feel mushier than before...lol

Replies

• pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Be wary of over training, you're doing a two day split across 6 days and that's tough. See how it works for you, be mindful that if your not effectively progressing you should take a look at what your spending the most time/effort doing and start changes from there.

Think about cutting cardio a day midweek as to at least give yourself some break, as per the exercises, they're all pretty reasonable core lifts IMO. Maybe consider replacing one of the splits per group with a compound movement day, i.e try to get multiple muscle groups hit in a single exercise, kettlebell, squats, lunges, compound swimmers, etc.

Forgot to mention, don;t stick with the plan for more than a few weeks, especially when you're hitting each group x2/week. go a few weeks and swap things around.
  • Route194
    Route194 Posts: 5
    Options
    Honestly - there is no 'correct' workout schedule carved on a stone anywhere. The correct workout (in its right context) is what is yielding you the best results at that time. You also have to note and if you pay close attention you will also see in reality that no workout routine, no matter how intense or even hand-picked by a professional trainer will work for an extended period of time.

Here's why -

The muscles have a brain on its own (don't go looking for it on an x-ray, you will not find it)). When you start a new exercise routine, especially in weight training, your muscle tissues tear and go through a phase of damage (the good kind). And with right post-workout nutrition and adequate rest, the muscles rebuild themselves to be tougher as a defensive measure to prepare themselves for the next time they are put through similar intensity ordeals (your exercises). This visible and palpable end-result of "muscles-rebuilding-to-be-tougher" process is what we come to realize as Muscle Tone.

In a nut shell, the more you workout, the more your muscles tone.

but here is the big HOWEVER

When you put your body through an exercise routine* for an extended period of time, the muscles in your body come to a conclusion that it is their new 'normal'. (I may have said muscles have a brain, I did not say they were bright).

*Exercise Routine - Same set of exercises, with same weights, intensity and reps repeated over a period of time.

You may ask - How long is considered 'extended period of time'?
    This is subject to differ between individuals based on their age, sex, physical activity, even history of physical activity etc.

The bottom line - While exercise routines are great, they need to be revised periodically. The ideal duration to stick to an exercise routine is like I had mentioned earlier varies from one individual to another and the best way to determine that is to closely monitor your weight loss, muscle gain, measurements etc. When you are spending time at the gym doing your good ol' routine but don't see any changes/progress anymore , it is a clear indication that its time to revise the routine.

Hope this helps.

P.S - I don't claim to be an expert or professional in the field. But I have done extensive research and have sought advise from several professionals
  • tmston2
    tmston2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    WOW!! THATS ALOT!!! HOW LONG HAVE YOU STUCK TO THAT ROUTINE?

if im reading this correctly, you do the same exercise's on mwf & Tue Thr S?

imo you are def. over training!

how much time do take btwn sets?

how fast are you running on the treadmill? bike?

How old are you?

mucsle's need at least 24hrs to repair and shouldnt be worked more than 2x per week

how do you even have energy for that weekly work out?

i played football in high school & basketball & we never trained like this!
  • txgator
    txgator Posts: 65
    Options
    Honestly - there is no 'correct' workout schedule carved on a stone anywhere. The correct workout (in its right context) is what is yielding you the best results at that time. You also have to note and if you pay close attention you will also see in reality that no workout routine, no matter how intense or even hand-picked by a professional trainer will work for an extended period of time.

Here's why -

The muscles have a brain on its own (don't go looking for it on an x-ray, you will not find it)). When you start a new exercise routine, especially in weight training, your muscle tissues tear and go through a phase of damage (the good kind). And with right post-workout nutrition and adequate rest, the muscles rebuild themselves to be tougher as a defensive measure to prepare themselves for the next time they are put through similar intensity ordeals (your exercises). This visible and palpable end-result of "muscles-rebuilding-to-be-tougher" process is what we come to realize as Muscle Tone.

In a nut shell, the more you workout, the more your muscles tone.

but here is the big HOWEVER

When you put your body through an exercise routine* for an extended period of time, the muscles in your body come to a conclusion that it is their new 'normal'. (I may have said muscles have a brain, I did not say they were bright).

*Exercise Routine - Same set of exercises, with same weights, intensity and reps repeated over a period of time.

You may ask - How long is considered 'extended period of time'?
    This is subject to differ between individuals based on their age, sex, physical activity, even history of physical activity etc.

The bottom line - While exercise routines are great, they need to be revised periodically. The ideal duration to stick to an exercise routine is like I had mentioned earlier varies from one individual to another and the best way to determine that is to closely monitor your weight loss, muscle gain, measurements etc. When you are spending time at the gym doing your good ol' routine but don't see any changes/progress anymore , it is a clear indication that its time to revise the routine.

Hope this helps.

P.S - I don't claim to be an expert or professional in the field. But I have done extensive research and have sought advise from several professionals

Great advice, thanks
  • txgator
    txgator Posts: 65
    Options
    WOW!! THATS ALOT!!! HOW LONG HAVE YOU STUCK TO THAT ROUTINE?

if im reading this correctly, you do the same exercise's on mwf & Tue Thr S?

imo you are def. over training!

how much time do take btwn sets?

how fast are you running on the treadmill? bike?

How old are you?

mucsle's need at least 24hrs to repair and shouldnt be worked more than 2x per week

how do you even have energy for that weekly work out?

i played football in high school & basketball & we never trained like this!

Im 48. The people working out with me are 42, 43 and 15. On the bike, usually keep steady pace at between 9-10mph and every 5 minutes bump it up to 14-15 for one minute, 30 minutes total. On the treadmill I usually walk at about 3-3.2 and every 5 minutes do 60 seconds at between 4.5-5mph.

Right now all exercises are dumbell only and we are using 30lbs on each dumbell (me and my B-In Law). the girls are using 10-15 lbs. My BIL is almost the same size as me and 30lbs gives us a max rep of 8 per set. So we arent killing ourselves with weights

How do I find the energy? I have no F-ing idea...lol. I guess because we are having fun and everyone is showing progress. Since June 3rd I have lost 14 1/2 inches, almost all of it in the spots I wanted. Would I like to cut out a day? Of course but its hard to justify while we are getting results and there are so many sites that will tell you what I am doing is ok. It was driving me crazy looking so I finally settled on this one. I would like to throw in a weights only week or a cardio only week or maybe have a double cardio night or something, but havent found anyplace that preaches that...lol The search continues...
  • tmston2
    tmston2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i didnt mean any offense bro, hey if its not broken, dont try and fix it right?

im not a fitness expert, but i have been active all of my life, played high school varsity sports, city leauge, and worked out with

friends who played D1, and went on to play pro, so i call it the G of E, aka the geometry of experience!! if i did your workout at

my intensity i would be cooked after the cardio alone, i ususally do HIIT on tread for 20mins after da weights, i usually do

sprints in btwn my sets, route194 is correct to a degree "there is no one perfect workout", but there is one that's best fit for

your goal of working out, for instance if your are looking to loose fat and build muscle then cardio is your best friend, reps

should be kept to 8-10 w/ minimum rest in btwn, if your are looking to gain or mass then cut back on cardio, reps should

be 4-6 w/ 1:30 - 3 mins btwn sets, a football player wont have the same work out as a marathon runner, 2 diff athletes

2 diff workouts

but hey, if it works for you, stick with!!! best of luck to you and your workout group!!!!