weight loss

Options
I have been loosing weight for 100 days now, have lost up to 70 pounds. I try to keep my calories between 1200 and 1500 per day. lately I have been struggling to stay away from the sweets. I have tried just having 1 serving to try to satisfy my cravings but I end up eating the whole package in one sitting. does anyone else have the same problem and if so how do you manage to stay on track?

Thanks
Tyler

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It's no wonder...you're losing 5 pounds a week and eating below the minimum intake you should be hitting. Take a step back and reevaluate your goal. What are your stats and how much more do you want to lose?
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Of course your body wants you to eat, you're starving it!
  • tylerrud2002
    tylerrud2002 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm 6ft 1 inch tall when I started I weighed 440, I'm now 370. My goal is 200 The reason I'm using the 1200 to 1500 calories, is what a weight loss surgeon told me. At one time I was going to get surgery, but ended up not doing it.
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    It's all about mind control. Eating sweets isn't bad, you need to learn moderation. Maybe stay more towards 1500 cals so you can give yourself a sweet treat daily?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'm 6ft 1 inch tall when I started I weighed 440, I'm now 370. My goal is 200 The reason I'm using the 1200 to 1500 calories, is what a weight loss surgeon told me. At one time I was going to get surgery, but ended up not doing it.

But wouldn't you have been under medical supervision at that time as you were pending surgery and dropping your calories so low? Are you under medical supervision now?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Is your physician monitoring your progress? At most you should be losing 1% of your weight per week, and eating a minimum of 1500 calories.
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    First let me say way to go on your loss! Maybe check with your Dr and see what calories you should be at now at your current weight.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Wow! You're doing awesome.... too awesome unfortunately.

Take a break, slow down, up your calories a bit. Slow and steady will not only get the pounds off, but it will keep it off forever. You don't just want to lose weight. Along the way you'll realize this is a life change. Slow and steady will give you that life change, 200 days of drastic weight loss will get you 400 days of rebound weight gain.

But still, well done. You might want to check out a little thing called If It Fits Your Macros and then try this thing I saw on VitruvianPhysique. His answer to "I want to eat that big bowl of ice cream!" is this. Fine, eat it, but you aren't allowed to eat it for 2 hours and first, you have to eat a big helping of good food like grilled chicken breast or brown rice or a big lettuce salad, the list goes on. Now once you've eaten that good food, if after the two hours, you still really want that ice cream, then go ahead. Psychologically you need a break every once in awhile.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    you have did a great job , i would put stats in MFP and eat those calories .. as far as things i like alot yes its hard to control how much to eat , but i cant see never eating those again , so i try to fit them in my calorie goal and go from there ,,

Good luck
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I find that there are some sweets I do well with and others I don't. Dark chocolate doesn't cause me a problem, but milk chocolate does. Hard candy doesn't cause me a problem, but soft candy does. Getting rid of all sweets doesn't work for me because then I'll start eating other stuff. I try to limit the amount of the problem sweets that I keep in the house. I keep a bowl of hard candy sitting around because it takes longer to get calories from hard candy, but it still tastes like sugar. I also use places that sell sweet stuff as the destination for some of my bike rides. When you're 15 miles from home, you aren't likely to buy a lot to take home and the small amount you eat while you are there will be burned off by the time you get back home.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I have been loosing weight for 100 days now, have lost up to 70 pounds. I try to keep my calories between 1200 and 1500 per day. lately I have been struggling to stay away from the sweets. I have tried just having 1 serving to try to satisfy my cravings but I end up eating the whole package in one sitting. does anyone else have the same problem and if so how do you manage to stay on track?

Thanks
    Tyler
    Take out 1 serving then PUT THE PACKAGE AWAY. Don't eat out of the package. Many times this is the difference between successful and unsuccessful people.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I'll second this. I will mindless eat or just go 'f it' and keep eating if I have the whole package. Single serving, it's done, I'm done and the package is out of sight and not staring me in the face.
  • tylerrud2002
    tylerrud2002 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I want to thank everyone for their input. I will bump my calories intake to 1500,.
    I have done this a few times, I get to 70-75 pounds loss and fall off the wagon. I don't want to do that again. I gain even more weight, and at that weight adding more will kill me
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Individual portion packs - for cookies, chips and ice cream. I allow myself a treat everyday. Increasing your calories would allow for this. Aggressive weekly weight loss is very restrictive and eliminates favorite foods. Moderate weekly weight loss goals help you eat a bit more like "normal."

If you don't want to lose weight again find lifestyle changes. I won't give up treats forever, so I need to manage them.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I don't keep it in the house. If it isn't there, I don't think about it or crave it. If for some reason I do get a craving, I drive to the convenience store and buy one and eat it. I have found for myself, if I just don't have it around, it is easy to break that habit of "needing" it everyday. I don't need it every day.
  • ActionAnnieJXN
    ActionAnnieJXN Posts: 116 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I don't store any sweets at all in my house because I used to binge on them and I will obsess on them until they are gone. However, I have not completely eliminated sugar from my diet and do not intend to ever do so.

For example...Kroger deli sells two slices of cake in a little box - we will pick up one of these to eat on a Saturday evening with a cup of coffee while we watch a movie. And then there's Edward's frozen pies - they sell the boxes of two slices as well. The fudge place at the outlet mall - very enjoyable to choose one special piece and take a break from shopping on the bench while slowly savoring it. And of course, there's the shared desserts at restaurants, one divine, crumbly cookie from the local bakery, and the relatively low calorie small soft-serve ice cream cone to be enjoyed on a summer's evening.

So not keeping sugar and sweets at my home makes them more of an enjoyable occasional treat as they should be instead of an ongoing temptation and burden for me. These small enjoyments are merely a momentary delight to the senses - nothing more. They are not happiness; they are not evil. They are not prime nutrition; they are not deadly to us in moderation. They are acceptable to be enjoyed in an amount agreeable to our own physical health. For me, that's a very small amount, in a controlled situation, and I accept that. We must step up as mature men and women and take responsibility for our own health, in the end, or live with the dire consequences.

And, I might add, I've eaten small amounts of sugar in this manner throughout my 107 lb loss and still managed to bring my blood sugar into the normal range. The weight loss resulting from a consistent calorie deficit is what ultimately corrected my high blood sugar.

One more tip from my own experience - I do not eat sweets when I am hungry. I always enjoy my small sweet treats after I've eaten a full meal with plenty of protein, and often with coffee or tea. This method is quite satisfying. I simply leave room for it in my calorie total for the day and this has never proven to be a hindrance to me as far as weight loss. Bingeing, on the other hand, nearly killed me. But that's a subject for another post. All the best to you in your journey. :-)
  • DaveDR7
    DaveDR7 Posts: 49 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Tyler, you're doing freaking awesome! But why spoil it with sweets? Get some nourishment, put a bowl of fruit around the house to snack on when you feel like it.
    I'm assuming your body is craving the sugar for energy as like others have said already you're 'starving' yourself, if you up your calorie intake with a good selection of protein, fats and carbs, you might not get the pangs for sweets and it will give your body time to adjust to the weight loss.
    Good luck and remember it's not a race its about getting to the finish line healthier and fitter!