HOW DO I GET ABS - I NEED SUCCESS STORIES

Options
Hey, Ya'll! My husband and I've started a weight loss and fitness challenge. We have a bet for who can get abs before the other. I am NOT in shape. I am exactly 5 foot tall and between 130-140 lbs (the reason I don't know is because I haven't weighed). Any success stories? I would love to win and get those wonderful abs by May-June. Is that possible?

Replies

• Dee_D33
    Dee_D33 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You diet. There's no way to just get abs as you can't spot reduce fat. You have to reduce your overall body fat %. Before you even start dieting you should probably figure out how much you weigh to figure out your TDEE, so I'd start with doing that.

Keep in mind that for most people, the belly is the last place that the fat comes off of. So it'll probably be a while,
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Reduce bodyfat which requires a calorie deficit.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Yeah, since men and women have a different % body fat that is appropriate, and visible abs are 100% the result of body fat, this isn't going to be a fair battle, necessarily.

Also: where you store the last few pounds of body fat (which again, is *necessary* especially for women's hormones to function properly) is totally out of your control. You need a certain amount of fat, and some people store it in their butts, and some people store it in their thighs ,and some people store it evenly spread out across their body -- and some people store it around their stomach.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    Also: where you store the last few pounds of body fat (which again, is *necessary* especially for women's hormones to function properly) is totally out of your control. You need a certain amount of fat, and some people store it in their butts, and some people store it in their thighs ,and some people store it evenly spread out across their body -- and some people store it around their stomach.

So unfair but so true. Even before I started losing weight I tended to carry my weight in my stomach. Now that I've lost and am at a healthy weight range, I have no butt, and very little fat on my arms and legs. I swear all the fat left in my body is in my belly still :neutral:

• LegallyBrunette1
    Options
    Ya'll all depressed me haha! My definition of abs in our challenge is first visible muscle on stomach. So it doesn't have to be amazingly defined. I know he has a better start but without a challenge, he would not be motivated and it would be more difficult for me to lose with him eating all the delicious food in the world. My prize is a trip anywhere I want so I need to win!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    True 6-pack abs on a woman is very difficult and dependent not only on low BF% but genetics and muscle base as well. You can work your butt off and still not have the definition you desire. For example I have been lower BF a few times and while I looked pretty lean everywhere I never really had abs.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I think you can make great progress between now and June. That's four whole months to lose weight, and you don't have a ton to lose anyway.

You understand that you won't have a ripped belly, but sure...you can do a lot of slimming and trimming within that time frame. Maybe you'll get lucky and see a hint of your abs. There's only one way to find out though. Go for it!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    I think you can make great progress between now and June. That's four whole months to lose weight, and you don't have a ton to lose anyway.

You understand that you won't have a ripped belly, but sure...you can do a lot of slimming and trimming within that time frame. Maybe you'll get lucky and see a hint of your abs. There's only one way to find out though. Go for it!

I don't know. I'm an inch taller than her, I weigh 115 and change, and my abs are nowhere in sight. Well, if you count obliques? Sure.

OP, will your bet count obliques? You might see those first. Don't count on anything in the middle showing up first necessarily.

Granted, she looks to be a lot younger than I am. I think a lot of it does come down to genetics.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »

^^ Agree! You know you are going to have to work hard. You are going to have to stick to a deficit. But you can make huge changes in 3 months. That linear line between the abs seems to be quicker to show up near the ribs. Maybe that will count!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    To get Abs, you need to lower your fat %
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    you already have abs, they just might be hidden
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Ya'll all depressed me haha! My definition of abs in our challenge is first visible muscle on stomach. So it doesn't have to be amazingly defined. I know he has a better start but without a challenge, he would not be motivated and it would be more difficult for me to lose with him eating all the delicious food in the world. My prize is a trip anywhere I want so I need to win!

Kick his butt. You might be at a disadvantage genetically but you win either way :) Get into a calorie deficit and wait. The other thing you could do is lift weights. You could try something called a Floor Wiper (there are modifications based on your ability) and also a Barbell Clean and Push (you could use a milk jug or a small child (jk) or something else that fits one hand).
  • LegallyBrunette1
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who responded! I literally just figured out how to find my post because I thought it was lost forever. I got a personal trainer last week at my gym. Hopefully that helps. I've been lifting some but I get so sore so easily because I'm not use to it. My body fat percent is 35. ☹️ I am still going to try!
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    It's going to take more like a year with your starting point and a lot of hard work and effort in the gym and especially with your diet.

To achieve that kind of fat loss by this summer is unrealistic.

If you really want visible abs it's possible, but your husband will most certainly win the bet as men lose weight faster and more easily and have less subcutaneous fat so they get visible abs much more easily.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Hey, Ya'll! My husband and I've started a weight loss and fitness challenge. We have a bet for who can get abs before the other. I am NOT in shape. I am exactly 5 foot tall and between 130-140 lbs (the reason I don't know is because I haven't weighed). Any success stories? I would love to win and get those wonderful abs by May-June. Is that possible?

Low body fat. That's it. No magic to it, but hard to do.