Plant-based Diet

Options
Hello!

My husband and I are both on a weight loss journey - we want to lose weight and get healthy together. We have both put on a considerable amount of weight since our wedding.

He is currently in college after getting out of the military - one of his courses is a nutrition class. With what he is learning he would like to try a mostly plant-based diet, with meat once or twice a week. This is not an idea I am very excited about - to say the least - but I want to be as supportive as possible. We have landed on starting with 3 days meat free - Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

I am looking for advice from those who have tired diets like this: recipe suggestions, tips on sticking to it...really anything? Did it make you feel more energetic? Was it harder to feel full and stay full?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Other than weight loss, is there anything else included in the "get healthy" bucket? If not, it's fine. I'm just curious if there are specific health metrics that you're looking to hit.

Is your goal to lose weight and improve health by removing foods from your diet (or eating them much less often)? Or is your goal to lose weight and improve your health by eating a lot more of certain foods (like vegetables, fruits, whole grains, etc)? Or a little of both?

A plant-based diet, in and of itself, isn't going to result in weight loss. Some people find that they lose weight because they replace higher calorie foods with lower calorie ones and this creates a deficit. Others find they maintain their weight or even gain weight -- there are plenty of calorie-dense plant foods.

Understanding exactly what it is you want to achieve may help you create a plan. Is he thinking it will be easier for him to maintain a calorie deficit by reducing animal products? If so, is this something that he requires you to do to? Or would he be comfortable with you both following a plan that results in a deficit but sometimes eating different foods?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jane that you should think about what you want to achieve and whether this plan will support that.

If you are going to eat the same meals together, it should be something you both like. It's fine to be enthusiastic, and it's fine to be supportive, but none of you should really push a way of eating on the other.

When that's decided, but before you look for recipes... Is eggs and fish and other seafood "allowed"? Is this just for dinner, meaning that you can eat whatever amounts of meat you want for the other meals? Is it going to be totally meat free, as in no stock or lard? This will set some boundaries as well as determine how easy it will be to stick to.

Lots of people have embraced "meatless Monday". Could that be a compromise?

My dinners Monday+Wednesday are meatless almost every other week, and always on Saturdays. Other meals may or may not contain meat. Or fish. I feel fine, full, and very energetic also after a meatless meal. I don't want to stop eating meat, but I believe I wouldn't suffer physically, it's more that I like to eat meat.
  • rph2t
    rph2t Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've started eating more plant-based, and I feel it has improved my health. I have stomach problems, and it helps with that. The important thing is to see it as an opportunity, not a limiting factor. We tend to center our meals around meat, so when you take that out, you open up a whole new range of recipes. Also, it's important to remember that a lot of the things you eat don't contain meat anyway. Pasta is my favorite meatless meal, and you can do a lot with it. Potatoes are good, too. A big secret to my success is to pour on the flavor. Meat brings a lot of flavor, so if you take it out, use plenty of spices, seasonings, etc. I use hot sauce on most of my veggie meals.

When I have no meat days, I feel like I eat a lot more variety. When I eat meat, I tend to eat the same things: baked chicken, turkey chili, tuna salad for lunch. When I do plant-based, I have to get more creative. I use beans a lot, all varieties, and the fiber REALLY fills you up. I make soups with beans a lot, and I don't ever really need anything else. It is a lot easier to stay full on a massive pile of veggies, rice, legumes, and starches than it is on a chicken breast of the same calorie value. But I am a volume eater. The amount of food I perceive I have eaten is important to me.

Good luck! It's also really good for the environment to lay of meat, so you're not just doing good for yourself!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I am looking for advice from those who have tired diets like this: recipe suggestions, tips on sticking to it...really anything? Did it make you feel more energetic? Was it harder to feel full and stay full?
    Recipe suggestions: start with what you know and like already. There are plenty of plants that most standard diet eaters already know and love. Whatever your favorite fruits and veggies are. Salads, baked potatoes, baked beans, oatmeal, veggie soups, rice and veggies, etc.

Tip to stick with it: eat enough, and eat the (plant based) foods you enjoy.

Did it make me feel more energetic? Abso-freaking-lutely! It also made me feel younger, made me think quicker and makes me feel happy in general. You ever notice how there are hundreds of online videos of fist fights at fast food restaurants? Ever seen one at a farmer's market?

Harder to stay full: at first. If i just cant seem to kill the hunger, a baked potato pr some veggie soup knocks it right out.

• nowNOTthenmylife
    nowNOTthenmylife Posts: 47 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Well I am mostly on a plant based diet as I have stomach pains when I eat too much meat but I always weight or calculate my calories intake to make sure I still lose weight. I make my meals simple. I try not to mix heavy food together like grains with meat, or legumes/avocado with grains instead I pair meat with veggies on my meat days and legumes/avocado with veggies on my non meat days or veggies with grains . I also make sure to use no more than 1 tablespoon of oil per meals if i am using it. On my meat days, I eat up to 16 oz of green leafy/ yellow/orange steamed veggies with a little bit of Grilled fish/ baked chicken or sauteed ground turkey . No red meat. On my veggies days I eat veggies with legumes/avocado, or 16 oz of sauteed /steamed veggies . Another option is eating the veggies with a cup of rice, quinoa, or a big sweet potato. I eat lots of variety of fruits for snack and breakfast and stay away from juice.
  • fbazaldua
    fbazaldua Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Try Dr. Joel Fuhrman's "Eat To Live" book, and Dr. Michael Greger's "How Not To Die". Excellent research-based books on the myths we've been taught regarding animal protein, and why you should be eating a mostly plant-based diet for long-term weight loss and disease prevention/reversal.

"I am looking for advice from those who have tired diets like this: recipe suggestions, tips on sticking to it...really anything? Did it make you feel more energetic? Was it harder to feel full and stay full?"

Dr. Joel Fuhrman's "Eat To Live" has a lot of information that would be useful in your husband's nutrition class, and everything you're looking for in terms of recipes, tips, and suggestions. I will tell you that as begin to lose weight quickly and effortlessly you will be motivated to stick to the plant-based lifestyle. Embracing a plant-based lifestyle you can eat all you want, feel more energetic, and any inflammatory diseases (hypertension, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, coronary artery disease, arthritis, etc.) will be better managed and eventually disappear. Additionally, you will significantly decrease your risks for heart attack, stroke, diabetes, and many forms of cancer.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    We eat a plant based diet and while we don't have a specific schedule, there are usually a few days a week that we don't eat meat. On those days our meals are usually bean and/or egg based. Omelets, fritatas, quiche, egg salad, bean salads, beans and rice, beans and cornbread, beans and eggs. Occasionally I'll have a tofu stir fry , but my husband doesn't like tofu (it's just us too now). Otherwise I'd have it a lot more because I like it.
  • Ghen1114
    Ghen1114 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten meat in over 7 years, personal decision. At first I floundered around, eating way too many carbs. There are great plant based foods in the organic, vegetarian/vegan, health sections of your grocery stores. Try a veggie stir-fry. I found that chopping veggies, cooking together, makes the meal fun. Go for the whole experience. Food, conversation, music, glass of wine. Try Yummly for recipe ideas. Portobello mushrooms, fresh organic produce, crisp salads in weird combinations, chickpeas. You just need to ensure you are getting enough protein. There's nothing dull about eating vegetarian. You just have to look and plan ahead. Best of luck.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    For recipes, check out Thug Kitchen's books or blog. Lots of profanity, but good recipes. I also love the Appetite for Reduction cookbook by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hello!

My husband and I are both on a weight loss journey - we want to lose weight and get healthy together. We have both put on a considerable amount of weight since our wedding.

He is currently in college after getting out of the military - one of his courses is a nutrition class. With what he is learning he would like to try a mostly plant-based diet, with meat once or twice a week. This is not an idea I am very excited about - to say the least - but I want to be as supportive as possible. We have landed on starting with 3 days meat free - Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

When I'm in maintenance I tend to eat ovo-lacto vegetarian about 3 days per week and I eat meat the other days. My wife and I primarily eat fish (mostly wild caught salmon and cod) and some chicken...beef or pork maybe 2 or 3 times per month. We have tried full on vegetarian, and I just like fish and other meat too much and it just wasn't a sustainable choice for us.

I actually enjoy eating this way and we make a lot of lentil and bean dishes...lots of potatoes, etc. I have gotten most of my recipes on pinterest.

When I cut, I tend to eat more meat to keep my protein at higher levels and I reduce my carbohydrates (not low carb/no carb...it's just that something has to give to control calories)...I don't do particularly well trying to cut on a substantially ovo-lacto vegetarian diet, but I maintain just fine on it...I would deduce that when I'm eating that way, I'm eating a lot of quality, but calorie dense carbohydrates making calorie control more difficult...your mileage may vary.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    jlemoore wrote: »
    I am 100% plant based. Don't miss the meat or dairy at all. Check out Forks over Knives; McDougall Starch Solution to get you started. There's a lot of good FB pages that will offer support. There are a few of us out there, but not many on MFP.

Oh goodness no. Forks over knives is just one sided propaganda that is based on junk science.
  • fbazaldua
    Options
    Oh goodness no. Forks over knives is just one sided propaganda that is based on junk science.

elphie754, I strongly suggest you check your facts. Aside from T. Colin Campbell and Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, numerous other research physicians have confirmed most if not all the actual research presented in "Forks Over Knives". You need to read up on the research done by these two as well as from other physicians such as Dr. Joel Fuhrman, Dr. Dean Ornish, and Dr. Michael Gregor. Just because these researchers go against the establishment (food industry, pharmaceutical companies, mainstream media, FDA, AMA, and the truly flawed food pyramid) doesn't mean it's "one sided propaganda that is based on junk science". It has been a well known fact for quite some years now that a plant-based diet is superior in every way to eating animal protein.

• cwolfman13
    Options
    fbazaldua wrote: »

elphie754, I strongly suggest you check your facts. Aside from T. Colin Campbell and Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, numerous other research physicians have confirmed most if not all the actual research presented in "Forks Over Knives". You need to read up on the research done by these two as well as from other physicians such as Dr. Joel Fuhrman, Dr. Dean Ornish, and Dr. Michael Gregor. Just because these researchers go against the establishment (food industry, pharmaceutical companies, mainstream media, FDA, AMA, and the truly flawed food pyramid) doesn't mean it's "one sided propaganda that is based on junk science". It has been a well known fact for quite some years now that a plant-based diet is superior in every way to eating animal protein.

What about all of the very healthy regions of the world that eat meat...in particular, fish?

Part of the problem with a lot of the research is that it ignores the diet as a whole and much of this kind of research is done with correlation studies and they notoriously neglect overall diet...so someone with a meat heavy diet that is eating the SAD is going to be lacking in a lot of other basic nutrition...so is it the meat or is it a basic lack of overall nutrition?

Again, I think you can look at many of the healthiest regions of the world and find that they're traditional diets include meat...they also eat a varied and balanced diet consisting of a variety of foods, to include a lot of plant based foods.
  • fbazaldua
    Options
    cwolfma13, I strongly suggest you read up on the The China Study, the Nurses Health Study, and the Framingham Heart Study just to name a few. These are all longitudinal studies (not correlation studies) that verify and demonstrate that the healthiest people of the world are plant-based eaters. As for fish---it's the most toxic animal protein in the world.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cwolfma13, I strongly suggest you read up on the The China Study, the Nurses Health Study, and the Framingham Heart Study just to name a few. These are all longitudinal studies (not correlation studies) that verify and demonstrate that the healthiest people of the world are plant-based eaters. As for fish---it's the most toxic animal protein in the world.

There are already multiple good critiques of how Campbell draws conclusions in his popular work that aren't backed by the data in the China Study so I'm not going to repeat that.

For the other two:

What are the specific portions of the Nurses Health Study that deal with plant-based eating? I know its a very large study, but it was my impression that it didn't include many people who had eliminated animal foods from their diet.

As for the Framingham study, isn't that just on the population of a small town? I understand it also has useful information, but how many people in the study had eliminated animal products from their diets?
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Try Dr. Joel Fuhrman's "Eat To Live" book, and Dr. Michael Greger's "How Not To Die". Excellent research-based books on the myths we've been taught regarding animal protein, and why you should be eating a mostly plant-based diet for long-term weight loss and disease prevention/reversal.

"I am looking for advice from those who have tired diets like this: recipe suggestions, tips on sticking to it...really anything? Did it make you feel more energetic? Was it harder to feel full and stay full?"

Dr. Joel Fuhrman's "Eat To Live" has a lot of information that would be useful in your husband's nutrition class, and everything you're looking for in terms of recipes, tips, and suggestions. I will tell you that as begin to lose weight quickly and effortlessly you will be motivated to stick to the plant-based lifestyle. Embracing a plant-based lifestyle you can eat all you want, feel more energetic, and any inflammatory diseases (hypertension, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, coronary artery disease, arthritis, etc.) will be better managed and eventually disappear. Additionally, you will significantly decrease your risks for heart attack, stroke, diabetes, and many forms of cancer.

If you eat too many calories you'll gain weight, regardless of what foods you're eating. Also, there's numerous people who are in excellent health and eat meat-cutting it out doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be healthier or have medical issues/diseases dissappear.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

If you eat too many calories you'll gain weight, regardless of what foods you're eating. Also, there's numerous people who are in excellent health and eat meat-cutting it out doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be healthier or have medical issues/diseases dissappear.

I didn't see that. So does that mean that plant based diet make autoimmune diseases (since they involve a lot of inflammation) disappear? Wow all the hard working research scientists are wasting their time trying to find cures.
  • cwolfman13
    edited February 2017
    Options

Dude...I'm not new...I've done *kitten* tons of research on this stuff...

Buy the way, thanks for the "bingo" with the China Study...there is so much wrong with that...his conclusions don't even match actual study findings...

But hey...I understand you're a vegan so you're going to preach it...that's what most of you do...except for jenejellyroll.

Also, in regards to fish...it depends on where you're getting your fish...what kind of fish, farmed or wild, etc. And really...the whole *kitten* world is polluted, including plants...including "organic" plants...you name it. I'm not going to spend my whole life worrying about such things. And by the by, I namely eat wild caught Alaskan Cod, wild caught Alaskan Salmon, and pole caught Albacore Tuna...all of which have been listed as "very safe" from a contamination perspective and pretty darn good for you.

If my diet is so unhealthy I wonder how it is that I completely reversed a pile of bad blood work and am healthier and more fit than I was in my 20s?