How do you eat healthy when travelling?

Options
Nevada
Nevada Posts: 140 Member
The complimentary breakfast in the hotel lobby usually has some easy choices in cereal, fruit, and nonfat milk. Wish they would let the bananas ripen a bit.

Big grocery stores with a salad bar make lunch easy.

Trader Joe's has good packaged fresh salads.

I have learned to say "Hold the mayo."

I have yet to find a fastfood salad I really like. They are too fast with the preserving chemicals.

Replies

• Nevada
    Options
    The complimentary breakfast in the hotel lobby usually has some easy choices in cereal, fruit, and nonfat milk. Wish they would let the bananas ripen a bit.

Big grocery stores with a salad bar make lunch easy.

Trader Joe's has good packaged fresh salads.

I have learned to say "Hold the mayo."

I have yet to find a fastfood salad I really like. They are too fast with the preserving chemicals.
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I try keep a bar of some kind handy, and an apple (anything but 'red delicious' which is an oxymoron in my book).

Big groceries with salad bars are good too - but I tend to pile up too much 'cuz I love veggies and salad. Yes, I need to exercise restraint. But in the meantime, I go for the sushi.... YUMMM. It's just enough and satisfies my hunger.
  • tnkitty
    tnkitty Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    On the rare occasion that I travel I tend to not drink enough water. Gotta keep that stuff strapped to your hip! ;-)
  • Nevada
    Options
    Right on the water. I carry a bottle to drink while waiting in the airport security line, since you can't get it through.

Getitng hydrated for a flight makes it less stressful.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Pack up some of your snacks from home.
    Eat what you know is good for you (what you're used to eating and already know how it fits into your daily calories).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    yeah, Nevada!

When travelling, the first thing to do on arrival is go to the grocery and buy four 16oz bottles of water per day per person to have in the room. Unless you like paying $6 a bottle in the hotels/gift shops. I don't drink the tap water in many cities, due to the flavor.

So I've gotten in the habit of doing that every time I travel and I'm going to be in one room for a few days.

~Cheryl
  • samantha_martin11
    Options
    What i do is try not to eat out that much , but if you can't do that ( i know you can't) then try asking the people at the restaurant how many calories your food has. Also you can try to eat baked not grilled things and eat tasty salads.

- Samantha
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    taking along snacks that are healthy is a great idea. you can stop at safeway and get hot soup that is healthy. you can also get celery and carrots for one to go, etc. they have a great selection. subway wil let you make any sandwich into a salad and they have baby spinach leaves as well. ocassionally i will get their veggie personal pizza and eat two slices and save the rest for another day. when i go to a restaurant i ask them to steam veggies to bring with salmon or a fish selection or chicken breast. i have had no problem with them accomodating me.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    Under the topic of what do you eat when travelling:

I must confess - everything I want.

Thanks, I feel better.
  • nowNOTthenmylife
    nowNOTthenmylife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    At hotels I usually stick to eating yogurt and fruits with a slice of bread where complimentary breakfast are concerned. You could stop by a grocery store and grab a bag of fruits like bananas or clementines that you could easily peel or get pre made salads. I've also bought corn tortilla and made a burrito with a whole avocado that I peeled with my bare hands .
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    yogurt, travel packs of peanut butter, almonds and protein bars. All but the yogurt I put on my carry on.
    Helps when you do not have enough time to grab some food between changing flights.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I was nearly full-time on the road (project management in remote-from-home locations) for about 8 years ("full-time" = Mon-Fri, plus some weekends). I thought I was making decent food choices when eating out all the time, but the weight gradually snuck up on me. I got in-room healthy snacks (veggies such as celery, grape tomatoes, apples, oranges, carrots, nuts, etc.) to avoid worse snacking options during later-evening work spurts.

One downfall for me was gradually accepting restaurant portion sizes as "normal" - I was in constant calorie excess (this travel was in the days before apps like MFP made logging and tracking a bit more feasible). Even making frequent use of the hotel pools and facilities, the degraded (relative to health) travel lifestyle caught up with me.

I'm now working to shed this weight, which, at my older age, isn't so easy to do.

Recommendations: choose good meals, and leave some food on your plate. Drink lots of water. Be active when you can be. Gets lots of sleep.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    If I have to eat at a place where there's no calorie guides to go by (this is common for me since I often travel to Mexico for work) then I opt for something that's a giant slab of meat with some veggies on the side.
  • SophieeBrook
    SophieeBrook Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I live in europe, ao when I travel to another country I try and find an accommodation thats has a small kitchen so that I can prepare my meals.
    But I also try and keep things simple if I dont have a kitchen. I make sandwiches, wraps, lots of fruit for breakfast.
    I also try and look for vegetarian or vegan places to eat :smile: