Discouraged? Then here's some advice....

Options
It's going to happen in your journey.

You can do everything absolutely right, have the stars align right, be the most positive person, etc. and when you check on your weight/measurements at the end of the day/week/month you gained or didn't see a change at all.

All of a sudden, the world is against you, you consider yourself a failure, the gods have hexed you and you don't want to deal with it anymore....................then may possibly quit.

So why does this happen? Because weight loss isn't linear. There are so many variables that we DON'T CONTROL and throw havoc into our programs. Hormones are regulated by stimulus and even this like losing a few hours of sleep, a stressful week, anxiety from an event, mood changes, and just how you feel overall can affect how hormones can disrupt even the hardest work put in.

This also happens when you feel you did crappy one week and WTF you lost weight or inches. How did that happen?

Don't try to figure it out. What I can tell you is that CONSISTENCY day in and day out will result in success. Most of my clients will complain that they aren't losing, but when I ask how close to 100% they were, they have the case of the "wellas".

"Wella" I did have some wine and cake. Or "wella" I was maybe 90%. Yes you can have a bad day, but that may be the reason you got thrown off course. So don't dwell on it, but also don't EXPECT that result should happen because of it.

Weight loss is simple, but it takes effort, discipline and strength to deal when the numbers don't line up the way you want.

Just remember, if you quit you don't get closer to your goal. So don't quit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• brdoyle8
    brdoyle8 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Needed this today, thank you!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Please repost this every day in every thread, lol!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    bump
  • schwest76
    schwest76 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Definitely needed this today! I'm bummed I didn't make a challenge I set for myself. On top of that I've been battling serious cravings (carbs, sweets, salty food and junk for the past few days) and am tired of tracking everything. But, I most definitely don't want to gain back the 50 I lost!!
  • Wonder_Mattie
    Wonder_Mattie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I needed that. I did everything right, but did my weekly weigh in.... Gained a pound. WTF? I feel like a total failure. I keep say motto, "Ond day at a time, one pound at a time." But today it just isn't working.
  • PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    As someone who has been stuck on a plateau for going on three months now I needed to read this. Thanks!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Bump for solid advice.
  • DarkSinestra
    DarkSinestra Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Since accepting this truth recently, it's actually made me love my body more. I am amazed at how adaptable it is and it's one priority is protecting me! I lose sleep...it responds to protect. I eat too much salt...it adds water to counter it. I am below my calorie goal and eat well...it lets me lose some fat stores.
    I used to hate it, but now I see just how beautiful and complex bodies are. Thank god! Because it they weren't, we wouldn't survive a single day!

This is a beautiful way to look at it. I'm going to keep that in mind the next time I retain water. Sodium isn't my issue; menopause is! Anyway, thank you.

And thank you, OP. Encouraging words that ring true.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options

As someone who has been stuck on a plateau for going on three months now I needed to read this. Thanks!
    How close are you to goal? What's your current weight loss goal per week?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • NannersBalletLegs
    NannersBalletLegs Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thank you! My TOM is rapidly approaching, and the scale went up this morning. I know it's water and will be gone soon enough, but I kind of wanted to cry. Your post was the pep talk I needed to hear today. :)
  • designerdiscounts
    designerdiscounts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Excellent post. Thank you! The scale hasn't budged for weeks even though I eat at a deficit and work out a lot. BUT, my body is changing a lot.
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Thxs for sharing all. I was on a roll but recently got stressed out and started eating wrong but still going to the gym 3 or 4 days a week. Well I put on a skirt yesterday that fit perfect 4 weeks ago but is now too tight. Starting again w my journey to eat better and eliminate or reduce the stress.