Is this enough exercise to see a difference

Options
I'm a 23 year old female, not trying to lose weight just keep in shape and am wondering if I exercise for 10 minutes a day doing crunches, butterfly kicks, the hundred, squats, will this help at all or would it not make any difference and is just a waste of time, committing to more is just not realistic for me right now, this is what I'm comfortable with and am hoping will help with toning in addition to me eating healthier, am I right or is it a waste of my time to exercise for such a little period of time?

Replies

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Something is always better than nothing. Weight loss (or gain, or maintenance) will come from what you eat. Health will come from exercise. Do what you can.
  • coboblack
    coboblack Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm a 23 year old female, not trying to lose weight just keep in shape and am wondering if I exercise for 10 minutes a day doing crunches, butterfly kicks, the hundred, squats, will this help at all or would it not make any difference and is just a waste of time, committing to more is just not realistic for me right now, this is what I'm comfortable with and am hoping will help with toning in addition to me eating healthier, am I right or is it a waste of my time to exercise for such a little period of time?

10 min a day is not bad if you don't rest at all in between the sets. Set timer and do it the full 10 min. You should be moving the entire time for 10 min with zero rest. And add in some push ups. I'd would also try to work to up to eventually doing 20 min sessions at least twice a week.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Something's better than nothing but how much benefit you're actually getting from this will depend, in part, on the intensity of your workout. Perhaps you can swap out some of your normal workouts for 10 minute Tabata routines, for example. And if the squats start getting too easy for you, you can augment them with either resistance bands, or by adding additional weight (dumbbells, a kettle bell, a couple gallon jugs of water, etc).
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,937 Member
    Options
    Better than nothing.

I'd suggest also incorporating activity throughout your day ... take the stairs, park at the far end of the parking lot when you get groceries, get off the bus a stop early and walk, go for a walk at lunch, etc.
  • gunnmike
    gunnmike Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Anything is good. However, I find it hard to believe that you only have 10 free minutes a day that are free.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    gunnmike wrote: »
    Anything is good. However, I find it hard to believe that you only have 10 free minutes a day that are free.

I have to agree with this. I guarantee that there are times when you're just sitting around or looking things ups. No one is busy for 16 hours straight. Toning won't happen unless you're in a caloric deficit and you reduce total body fat
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Whether or not that will make a visible difference depends on your body. Some people don't need to exercise at all to look good.

That is not nearly enough exercise for general cardiovascular health.

If that is what is comfortable for you, it isn't a bad place to start.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Studies show that your BMR is the catalyst for the majority of daily calorie burn. If you are in caloric deficit the emphasis of any strength training program should be to maintain present muscle stores, because it is the muscle which maintains or raises your metabolism as you add new muscle. Muscle utilizes more calories than fat mass at rest.

With only 10 minutes a day, I would recommend banded or tube work with body weight training and calisthenics performed in a circuit. Keeping it simple, I would suggest something like five minutes upper, and five minutes lower body.

Will it make a difference? Yes, but the result will not be as dramatic as you hope -- because they never are for anyone.
  • Tum22
    Tum22 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I think this is a good idea and best to choose a time you can stick to then it doesn't seem so bad and you won't be tempted to miss it. I think I would, in time, see muscle toning even from just 10 mins so I hope you do too.
  • NaomiAnna22
    NaomiAnna22 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, im trying to gain weight and have been but I've noticed it's storing in my stomach the most even with eating healthier and believe it or not ten solid minutes is wearing me out, feel the burn in my thighs, abs, love handles the next day which I'm hoping means it's working.