StrongLifts 5x5

I'm a beginner weighing 232 looking to loose 50+ pounds and Was wondering if the StrongLifts 5x5 workout is good for weight loss or is just mainly for strength??

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    A calorie deficit is for weight loss.

Stronglifts 5x5 is a great beginners strength training workout that can help shape your body composition while losing weight.

I love the program, it's a great foot in the door to strength training and it's easy to follow.
  • RY4N87
    RY4N87 Posts: 23 Member
    Thank you for replying sammy :) I'm going to give it a go. Do you do any cardio along with it ??
  • RY4N87

Stronglifts 5x5 is a great beginners strength training workout that can help shape your body composition while losing weight.

I love the program, it's a great foot in the door to strength training and it's easy to follow.

Thank you for replying sammy :) I'm going to give it a go. Do you do any cardio along with it ??
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    I'm doing SL 5X5. Been on the program for just over a month. I also cycle a couple of times a week. If you do start, get the smartphone app.
  • RY4N87
    DevilsFan1 wrote: »
    I'm doing SL 5X5. Been on the program for just over a month. I also cycle a couple of times a week. If you do start, get the smartphone app.

Yeah I've downloaded it looks pretty simple. did you add any exercises to the plan or did you follow the way it is??
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    I lost about 30lbs doing SL and running. I hurt my back and was unable to lift for a couple of months and I'm redoing the stronglifts program from nearly the beginning again to rebuild my back. it seems to be working so far.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    RY4N87 wrote: »

Initially, I was taking a cardio kickboxing class once a week but then I stopped as they closed for the summer and then I moved. But other than that, no other cardio except walking most places (no car) and a hike once in a blue moon.

I believe if you do cardio, you should do it on the non-lifting days and there are some who advise to stop if it impedes with recovery, which is a wise thing to do.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    DevilsFan1 wrote: »

Yeah I've downloaded it looks pretty simple. did you add any exercises to the plan or did you follow the way it is??

The bench press was way too easy at first so I made a big jump on that lift. Otherwise, I've pretty much stuck with it as is. Don't complicate things.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    SL 5x5 gave me a love of lifting. Deficit gave me the fat loss but lifting gave me the architecture I needed for a fit body. I'm almost 48 and in better shape than I was in my 20s. Do it!
  • RY4N87
    lsutton484 wrote: »
    I lost about 30lbs doing SL and running. I hurt my back and was unable to lift for a couple of months and I'm redoing the stronglifts program from nearly the beginning again to rebuild my back. it seems to be working so far.

30lbs well done
  • RY4N87

Initially, I was taking a cardio kickboxing class once a week but then I stopped as they closed for the summer and then I moved. But other than that, no other cardio except walking most places (no car) and a hike once in a blue moon.

I believe if you do cardio, you should do it on the non-lifting days and there are some who advise to stop if it impedes with recovery, which is a wise thing to do.

Thanks for the advice :)
  • RY4N87
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    SL 5x5 gave me a love of lifting. Deficit gave me the fat loss but lifting gave me the architecture I needed for a fit body. I'm almost 48 and in better shape than I was in my 20s. Do it!

Sounds like the right plan then :)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    I've been SL since November, lifting since October, and body weight for a few years before that.

If you're just starting SL, don't add any accessories. I just recently added lower weight higher rep accessories and recently added cardio (C25K) to the mix. Take it slow.

Also there is no shame in taking things slower than the app suggests. Sometimes I will stick to the same weight for certain exercises for a few sessions or even add less weight than the app suggests. Listen to your body.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    You can do cardio on the days between lifting. I also do cardio in the morning if I lift at night, or cardio after work if I lift in the morning. I've tried cardio right after lifting, but could only handle walking.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    I would not jump up in weight quickly, even if it's easy. Take your time, get the form right, learn to activate the right muscle groups.
  • afbigg
    afbigg Posts: 33 Member
    I have been doing this program for about a month and have fallen in love. I've always liked weights over cardio however I have had better weight loss results with combining them both. I'm not great at the nutrition part 100% of the time so I feel like I need the cardio to help balance me out. I'm a 30y/o woman, 205lbs, 5'3" and bounce between 160-200 lbs between high school and having kids. If you download the app it's helpful and agree to receive emails from the 5x5 creator, he answers a lot of questions about adding exercises and how to do or not do certain things. I think you'll enjoy it!
  • mrspaul0530
    mrspaul0530 Posts: 6 Member
    make hard copy of exercise database