How much cardio

Options
This is my 3rd time to lose weight, my daughter is two months old and I already lost around 35 pounds and want to lose and 15 asap and then another 10 by Summer. She is my 4th child and after my other two I didn't work out after , when I decided to lose weight both times took me 3.5 months to lose 40 pounds. I'm 5"6 and just want to be 120, I am now 142 I was 109-112 before pregnancy. How much cardio daily? I love weight machines more than cardio but I need cardio to lose weight

Replies

• kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    20-30mins cardio
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is how you lose weight. And since you're already at a healthy weight, it's going to take quite a while to reach your goal.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Cardio does burn some calories, but you don't have to do it to lose weight. It's great for your heart and lungs. Calorie deficit, eating less than you burn is important for weight loss.

Strength training doesn't burn as many calories as cardio but it helps you hang onto existing lean muscle mass and is good for your bone health. Strength training is great for shaping your weight loss result.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    40 Lbs in 3.5 months is hell of fast....

The exercise itself isn't what burns the fat..being in a calorie deficit does that. Personally, I think incessant amounts of cardio can be unhealthy, particularly when those kind of training bouts aren't fueled.

Most of my cycling is 30-60 minutes in duration save for a longer endurance ride on the weekends. I typically do higher intensity shorter duration work on Tues and Friday... easy recovery spins on Mondays and Wednesdays (because I also lift those days) a 60 minute tempo ride on Saturday and a longer endurance ride on Sunday. Thursday is typically a res day.
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Cardio isn't a requirement to lose weight but it will improve fitness, and heart and lung health. I think the current recommendation is 30 minutes per day will show benefits. Cardio will aid weightless if you don't eat back all the calories you've burnt during your workout.
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    The exercise itself isn't what burns the fat..being in a calorie deficit does that. Personally, I think incessant amounts of cardio can be unhealthy, particularly when those kind of training bouts aren't fueled.

False. I avg over 12 hours of cardio work a week. And most of that is in a fasted state since I do 2 hours of treadmill and stairs before I eat anything in the morning. It's all about what kind of "cardio" you do. If you're heavily dependent on glycogen stores that your liver cannot make up, your body will tell you it is unhealthy. If you workout in a "zone" which burns primarily fats, you can go for a long time and feel great. A far cry from being "unhealthy."

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,117 Member
    Options

False. I avg over 12 hours of cardio work a week. And most of that is in a fasted state since I do 2 hours of treadmill and stairs before I eat anything in the morning. It's all about what kind of "cardio" you do. If you're heavily dependent on glycogen stores that your liver cannot make up, your body will tell you it is unhealthy. If you workout in a "zone" which burns primarily fats, you can go for a long time and feel great. A far cry from being "unhealthy."

So much woo in one post. Fat loss is all about calorie deficit. If it is from restricting calories or exercising to increase overall calorie burn so a person is in a deficit, they will lose. People can lose fat with no exercise or with lots of exercise. It is not about "fasted cardio" or about what kind of cardio you do, nor is it about working out in the fat burning zone.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

8 to 12 hours is extremely common among avid recreational cyclists.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

For one, I said incessant amounts of cardio while underfeeding...as in your total calories for the day is unhealthy...like if I go for a 50 mile ride and burn, say ,1800 calories and only consumed 2,000 calories, that would be inherently unhealthy done on any kind of regular basis...part of being healthy is taking in an appropriate amount of energy...i.e calories. I wasn't talking about fasted cardio...as an endurance athlete, I do that a lot...has jack *kitten* to do with what I'm talking about...and frankly, I wouldn't consider 8-12 hours per week to be anything outlandish...but it does require proper feeding.

And training in the fat burning zone is irrelevant...it's simply the fuel source being used at that particular moment. Our bodies constantly cycle through burning and storing fat...burning and storing glycogen, etc. What is relevant is your net energy position when it's all said and done, and nothing else.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Ok first off, you are only two months postpartum, your body is still getting itself back to normal.. so I personally wouldn't rush weight loss at this point, especially if you are concerned about body composition.

Second, you don't have to do any cardio to lose weight. Not that I am recommending not being active, but other than walking and being active in my day-to-day life, I did no cardio to lose my baby weight but instead focused on weight training to maintain muscle. BUT it did it did take me about 7 months or so to lose the weight and get my body composition back.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit

I have built considerable muscle mass last year so now I follow a program where I lift weights about 4 times a week and cardio about 4 - 5 times a week because I am trying to lean out. Of course the cardio varies. I rotate between the following: HIIT for 15 minutes, intervals on the treadmill with incline, intervals on the stairs for 10-15 minutes, jump training for 20-25 minutes and then I play 6 volleyball games on Saturday nights. I don't do cardio for more than 30 minutes per day - other than my volleyball tournaments. I have noticed greater results with HIIT.
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    109 - 112? how tall are you?

Is that 35lbs lost in two months including the immediate post birth weight loss?

Are you nursing your baby? Nothing wrong with it if your aren't. But if you are keep in mind steep calorie deficits while nursing aren't a good idea. You need to take those extra calories into account or you risk drying up.

Give your body time to recover, pregnancy and childbirth take time and energy to recover from.
  • heather0709
    heather0709 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Recently stopped nursing due to pain and issues , didn't want to but it is what it is. I'm pretty busy with 4 kids and don't have time like I use to, so trying to figure out a work out schedule to achieve my 20 pounds I want to lose. Figuring 5 days a week 30 min treadmill 30-45 min of weight machines. Plus everything I else do. Honestly I don't eat much I try too but just sometimes don't even have time. Here a photo of me from two weeks ago , I was very underweight before pregnancy that's not my goal again my goal is 120-125 pounds before summer

v1euwbsejp44.jpg
  • heather0709
    Options
    jaymijones wrote: »
    109 - 112? how tall are you?

Is that 35lbs lost in two months including the immediate post birth weight loss?

Are you nursing your baby? Nothing wrong with it if your aren't. But if you are keep in mind steep calorie deficits while nursing aren't a good idea. You need to take those extra calories into account or you risk drying up.

Give your body time to recover, pregnancy and childbirth take time and energy to recover from.

I'm 5"6
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Recently stopped nursing due to pain and issues , didn't want to but it is what it is. I'm pretty busy with 4 kids and don't have time like I use to, so trying to figure out a work out schedule to achieve my 20 pounds I want to lose. Figuring 5 days a week 30 min treadmill 30-45 min of weight machines. Plus everything I else do. Honestly I don't eat much I try too but just sometimes don't even have time. Here a photo of me from two weeks ago , I was very underweight before pregnancy that's not my goal again my goal is 120-125 pounds before summer

v1euwbsejp44.jpg

I'm sorry you aren't able to nurse if that's what you wanted. 120-125 is a great goal, my apologies if I came across as judgey.

As long as you're getting enough calories, and easing back into a workout carefully. I think you'll be fine. Just remember that you're still recovering, and you need to be careful or you risk injury. More so than usual.

I have four kids too, the youngest is 14 months old. I thought I'd be at my goal weight by now, but this last kid kicked my butt hard. I had 40lbs total to lose, and I still have 20 to go. My weight loss took a back seat more often than not for the first 10 months. Although I finally feel like I'm on track for real.
  • heather0709
    Options
    No worries thanks!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Energy deficit to lose weight....
    Strength training to build and maintain muscle and bone mass...
    Cardio to strengthen the cardiovascular system...
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm having very good success losing weight and gaining lean muscle mass with a blend of cardio, weight and strength training. I workout 6 days a week for appx. 1 h/session. I do cardio 2 to 3 days, Yoga 1 to 2 times and weights 3 times per week. Diet is critical.

See the following for some ideas on calorie cycling: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-basics-of-body-recomposition-macronutrient-calculations-to-lose-fat-and-gain-muscle/

• Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    This is my 3rd time to lose weight, my daughter is two months old and I already lost around 35 pounds and want to lose and 15 asap and then another 10 by Summer. She is my 4th child and after my other two I didn't work out after , when I decided to lose weight both times took me 3.5 months to lose 40 pounds. I'm 5"6 and just want to be 120, I am now 142 I was 109-112 before pregnancy. How much cardio daily? I love weight machines more than cardio but I need cardio to lose weight

So really, you are looking to lose 25 by Summer.
    I asked people who were really successful with loosing weight ( 25 lbs+) how much time they had to put in.
    It turns out they cardio for 2hrs

I do cardio, every other day for 100min and I burn 1500 calories.