60 and struggling with weight loss

Options
I'm 60 and not been on here for a few years but managed to lose 21 lbs whilst I've been away. I'm 60 and been struggling with sciatica and back pain so last month I had no alcohol and started Pilates and yoga which has helped immensely with the pain. This month I'm determined not to have a drink until I've lost another half a stone and I'm now adding spinning and adding body pump to my daily gym routine, at least 2 classes a day. The weight doesn't seem to be moving so I'm being more careful with my weighing and measuring. Usually have porridge and fruit for breakfast or an omelette. What does everyone else have for breakfast? Any advice really appreciated. Am I too old to be doing this I feel like my metabolism has stalled.

Replies

• phoebepenina
    phoebepenina Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Of course you arnt too old I am 76 do two active adult class and Zumba. But the one thing I cling to to maintain weight is the food diary. I weigh stuff and try to be honest about what I eat when logging and if I see that I have gone over at the end of the day I have been known to run around the passage to even up calories in against calories out
    So far you seem to be doing a great job despite aches and pains
  • lavender51
    lavender51 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm 58 and although I have another 60 pounds to lose (I lost a lot over a year ago then stalled....), I feel fitter than I was in my thirties and forties. I agree with being extra careful with weighing and measuring. It's so easy to guess and end up with way more calories than you think you're having.

Good luck :)
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I am 63,60 was easier than 50 menopause loosing weight.I eat egg whites and peppers, turkey bacon, 100 cal grits , yogurt and berries. or a granola bar on the go
  • alexshir
    alexshir Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I will turn 60 this year also and I know that if I don't keep active that it's not going to get any easier. I broke my ankle this past August, so I have to stick with low-impact workouts. I still have pain and lack of range of motion in my ankle, but I know that exercise is the key to its healing. I have been really tracking everything that I eat since after Christmas and have lost 9 lbs so far. It can be done, but it's not as easy as when I was young.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    No, you are not too old. I am 65 and have sciatica also. Keep tracking your food/drink carefully, and mixing up your exercise. You will probably show weight loss keeping careful track of what you eat and drink and calories burned from exercise. Are you eating back your calories?

I am by no means an expert, (I just started 1/1/17, but I have lost 14.5 pounds so far) My doctor told me that I should mix up my exercising. I am partial to the elliptical. He explained that doing the same exercise all the time can cause flare ups of sciatica.

Best of luck to you!
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    69 and is not a barrier to weight loss, it may be slower but keep at it and you will feel so much better. If you are a mutual friend supporter why not send a friend request. Good luck to all of the above posters, you can do this.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I know the pain of sciatica! If Pilates and Yoga help then I'm in! I'm 64 and here everyday for mutual support! Send me a friend request if you want!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You're not too old to do Pilates, yoga, porridge, omelettes, or weight loss. What works for me during the workweek is a big 600-calorie breakfast high in protein and fiber, a small lunch, and another big 600-calorie dinner. I use the category of "snacks" to add various small items at the end of the day to fill my calorie budget.

On weekends I try to have 2 of the 400-calorie small meals along with one 600-calorie big meal, then the small snacks.
  • oldyogi66
    oldyogi66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Of course you arnt too old I am 76 do two active adult class and Zumba. But the one thing I cling to to maintain weight is the food diary. I weigh stuff and try to be honest about what I eat when logging and if I see that I have gone over at the end of the day I have been known to run around the passage to even up calories in against calories out
    So far you seem to be doing a great job despite aches and pains

Thanks for sharing, you're inspiring!
  • oldyogi66
    oldyogi66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You're not too old to do Pilates, yoga, porridge, omelettes, or weight loss. What works for me during the workweek is a big 600-calorie breakfast high in protein and fiber, a small lunch, and another big 600-calorie dinner. I use the category of "snacks" to add various small items at the end of the day to fill my calorie budget.

On weekends I try to have 2 of the 400-calorie small meals along with one 600-calorie big meal, then the small snacks.

I like your eating plan, I just might give it a try.
  • revtonir
    revtonir Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello. I am new here. I am 60 and want to lose 30lbs. I have a sedentary job and work long hours so I never want to exercise. I need more motivation.