NEED ADVICE: Strength Training w/lower back issues?

Options
I have a lot of lower back issues-- herniated disk, dessicated disks, sciatica- you name it. I seem to do well with exercise until I start implementing strength training- then I'll have a back injury and will be out from exercise for a week. I normally do 5 lb weights with the jillian michaels no more trouble zones workout. Does anyone have suggestions for strength training that is good for lower back issues? I have resistance bands, but never use them- is this better than lifting weights? Tired of pain and immobility! ALSO- i'm not trying to get cut :) just want assistance with those last few inches and some toned arms. THANKS!

Replies

• 1derwhy
    1derwhy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Say yes to the resistance bands! It's never a good idea to exercise to the point of injury - so start with reistance bands to help strenghten your core muscles. When your back is weak, it helps to strenghten your abs, too. When you feel stronger, try a DVD on mat Pilates - you don't need any special equipment for this.

I can tell a HUGE difference in my lower back strength when I remember to do my Pilates DVD at least once a week.
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I also have some insane back problems (sciatica, bulging disks, etc). I strength/circuit train twice a week, and there are certain exercises I can't do. For instance, I don't do dead lifts, and I'm very careful about anything that involves twisting. Also, it isn't strength training, but implementing yoga and pilates into my workout routine has made a huge difference in how my back feels.

A simple Google search turns up ways to strength train with back injuries.
  • smlaw3
    smlaw3 Posts: 7
    Options
    i have some of the same issues and i talked to physio about it and they suggested while swimming on your front pull your tummy muscles in as far as you can keep then and carry on swimming.
    Also you could try walking and while doing this tilt your pelvis towards yourself as if tightening your tummy and then pull in tummy muscles. It reduces strain on your back.
    To reduce pain in lower back your could try lying on your back, bring your knees as close to the chest as possible and then rock from side to side.
    I also use a gym ball and sit on it and then walk my legs back until you think you are going to fall ( but stop) and to the side. You will end up astirde the ball. This then opens the pelvis.
    Hope this helps
    Sharon x
  • AuntNiecey
    AuntNiecey Posts: 26
    Options
    Sounds like core strengthening may be good for you. Just wondering if you could get a trainer for a session or two to help with this?
  • MamaJilldo
    MamaJilldo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks, maybe pilates and resistance bands is the way to go. I've gone to loads of physical therapy and do exercises everyday to strengthen my back which is actually pretty strong along with my core. I just have so much pain from disks herniating- which is a structural problem and degeneration of the spine. I need advice on what to do for overall body strength training which is back-friendly.
  • Maxbjd
    Maxbjd Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi....resistance training is always good in some form. But what I would truly recommend is to find a Swim Exercise Class and some TaiChi. Your back is nothing to play around with and I sure you know this from the pain. Pain is a warning so listen to your body and do not be frustrated with what you cannot do, because there is always something that you can do. My back is giving me problems also but my knees are really the part of my body that is problematic. So, I have adjusted with low impact cardio....no running lots of walking and stationary biking. It is a humbling experience for a former Marine but I have got to start somewhere and feel better already.

Good Luck!
  • MamaJilldo
    MamaJilldo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I do a lot of spin classes, so I will stick with the low impact exercising, and when I'm ready add in some resistance bands. I wish my gym had a pool, because when I belonged to the Y I swam all the time and didn't have as much back problems. And you're right, it is humbling. I get so frustrated and feel so weak sometimes. I really get down on myself- I can only imagine being an marine and having to adjust. But you are right, there are things I can do and I will do them well :)
  • mercyyuen
    mercyyuen Posts: 21
    Options
    Well... I believe in the value of strength training. But I don't think you have to use dumbells and weights to have resistance training. You could just use your own body weight right?

I agree with the others who are saying, take it easy and do what you can do. Don't exercise to the point of injury~!