Squats: Past toe or not

Options
I've always followed the advice that its bad to let your knee go past your toes when squating. Yet, while watching the Insanity DVDs, it advices you to make sure your knee is going past your toes. Which is the proper form?

Why is this so confusing :frown:

Replies

• modestalchemist
    modestalchemist Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    past your toes can cause injury to your knees... p 90 x says not to go past your toes.. i think insanity would say the same thing... is this something it says a lot or just once, maybe they messed up?
  • Jonas_Renfold
    Options
    REMOVED: There was a joke here but it didn't make sense after I read the question lol
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I've always been taught that past the toe is bad for the knees. 30 Day Shred advises the same as well.

Sounds to me like Insanity may be wrong on this one!
  • missjaiy
    missjaiy Posts: 58
    Options
    past your toes can cause injury to your knees... p 90 x says not to go past your toes.. i think insanity would say the same thing... is this something it says a lot or just once, maybe they messed up?

He mentions it often when doing jumping and squats
  • AmberBarrios
    AmberBarrios Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    uh you might want to check that again, cause I have insanity and he is constantly telling you to make sure you knees aren't going past your toes.
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Never, ever, ever, NEVER, ever, never go past your toe... ask my right knee and my attending chiropractor..... never go past your toe... never!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

He mentions it often when doing jumping and squats

I always here him say to make sure your knees don't go past your toes when doing the plyometric movements.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Never, ever, ever, NEVER, ever, never go past your toe... ask my right knee and my attending chiropractor..... never go past your toe... never!

LOL and if you want a second opinion ask the scar on my knee from my surgery
    this is the one thing at the gym that makes me cringe and people are constantly doing it. one idiot last week had 315 lbs on his shoulders and was basically flexing his knees so they went past his toes and that was his version of the squat.
    a blown out knee waiting to happen.
  • missjaiy
    missjaiy Posts: 58
    Options
    uh you might want to check that again, cause I have insanity and he is constantly telling you to make sure you knees aren't going past your toes.

Hmmm...Ok I'll check again! My hubby heard the same thing. Maybe we were in shock from the intensity...LOL!
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I agree that you shouldn't go past your toe. I know it can cause injury, and so it's better to be safe than sorry.
  • suprfast
    suprfast Posts: 49
    Options
    do not go past your toes. usually that is attributed to not being flexible enough in the hip joint

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbxxs1PErLQ

you should be able to pull your toes up. If your toes are planted then you have way too much weight forward. Pretend you are sitting in a chair, if not lower.