recipes for protein powder

Options
I am trying to find healthy ways to get more protein in so I can stay fuller and eat healthier foods.. I can't drink protein drinks since I find them very gross. However, I love soft comfort foods like muffins, cakes ect... I am looking for more recipes that will be easy to carry to work and could be a snack between meals with hunger or cravings strike.. I would rather have simple recipes.

Replies

• mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    When I drink them I can taste the protein powder and just can't stomach it.. plus the shakes don't work cause I am not trying to replace meals so I need them more as a quick snack on the go when I am working.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Unflavored whey isolate works great in smoothies, chocolate milk, coffee, mashed potatoes, oatmeal, Mac n Cheese, and baked goods. I don't even notice it's there. When I add it to baked goods, I follow normal recipes and just add a scoop or two of powder.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I make protein pancakes - there are hundreds of recipes, but i tend to make them up.

Yesterday I used

3 XL egg whites, 150g zucchini, 15g protein powder, 30g Oats and 15g coconut flour. Added some Stevia (my protein is unflavoured), cinnamon, and baking powder. All whizzed in a blender til smooth, with a little water and cooked on low heat on a good non stick pan...
    I tend to make them quite small (15cms across) as they can be tricky to flip when big.
    They could be prepared in bulk to have for snacks.

I've done similar but whisked the egg whites to stiff peaks, blending the other ingredients and folding together gently. I bake it in a loaf tray and it's kind of bready/cakey.

Ive also added protein powder to other baking in place of some flour - it can change the texture a bit sometimes. (protein pow is a good website for recipes)
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I tend to experiment just by subbing in some protein powder into recipes I'm making anyway, that require flour of some kind. I just made some sweet potato brownies for example and it called for 6tbsp of coconut flour so I just subbed in 6 tbsp of pea protein powder and they came out just the same. I've added it to breads before as well. Try experimenting with stuff you are making anyway, starting with small amounts and working your way up. I've tried a couple of recipes from the Protein Chef, might want to give him a boo:
    https://theproteinchef.co/

• subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    The taste of the protein powder varies depending on the company you buy them from. I've had protein powders tasted like medicine, and some tasted so good, I wouldn't mind having them in my oats etc.
    Here is my baked oat protein bar recipe, you can increase the protein amount depending on your macro, remove some stuff if you don't fancy them too, I love the taste though, and this thing fuels my workouts for sure :smiley:

P.S The 100 gram one is oat meal, 150 ml one is low fat milk

52uj3fcirsmx.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    mygrl4meee wrote: »
    I am trying to find healthy ways to get more protein in so I can stay fuller and eat healthier foods.. I can't drink protein drinks since I find them very gross. However, I love soft comfort foods like muffins, cakes ect... I am looking for more recipes that will be easy to carry to work and could be a snack between meals with hunger or cravings strike.. I would rather have simple recipes.

Maybe just eat regular high-protein snacks?

Some options are Greek yogurt (you can use plain mixed with fruit or PB2 peanut butter powder, if you like, rather than pre-mixed sweetened), crispy chickpeas, dry-roasted soybeans, string cheese (or other individual cheeses, with or without some higher protein/lower-cal crackers), hummus with veggies, parmesan cheese crisps, pappadums, cottage cheese with fruit or veggies, hard-boiled eggs, . . . .

Look on Pinterest or just Google for recipes for various types of "frittata bites", "quinoa bites", or
    "oatmeal cups", which can range from a heavier snack to a light meal. You can make a bunch, freeze to store, and thaw or microwave to eat. The frittatas and quinoa bites are sort of mini-quiche like (you make them in muffin tins, mini or regular) and usually have eggs. The oatmeal cups are more grain-focused. There are higher & lower protein recipes, but lots of flavors and variation. Even "breakfast cookies" could be a good search term, though many of those will be more carb-y and sweet.

I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian, and like to get all of my nutrients (including protein) from regular food - I just find it more tasty and satisfying. I don't like fake meat, and don't enjoy protein powder, so I'm all about the higher-protein snacks and foods!
  • tarothelp
    tarothelp Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I love my protein pudding as I call it
    175 g plain Greek yogurt
    1 scoop protein powder
    Whisk those 2 well then add:
    Vanilla squeezelemon or lime juice
    If you want add 60 g defrosted frozen raspberries
    It's really good! And with my proteinpowdet it comes out to over 50g of protein!
  • sybillabryson
    sybillabryson Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Might try a different brand of powder. I had some recently with fake sugar which i really cant stand but at work where i make smoothies we have unflavored/unsweetened whey protein and you really cant taste it. Also powdered peanut butter is a low cal option which could be used like protein powder and tastes great. I agree with Ann that eating some "real" protein foods would be good. Plain greek yogurt is my secret weapon.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Super simple Protein balls.

80g Protein Powder of your choice (I have a chocolate one I like)
    60g Almond flour
    80g melted butter
    25g desiccated coconut

*if you use unflavoured protein powder you can add flavouring such as cocoa, coffee or peanut butter or whatever you like.

Mix together, roll into balls and refrigerate. You can roll them in some more desiccated coconut before you refrigerate if you want to. I make 11 and they have 125 cals each (1.5g carbs).
  • plow54
    plow54 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    All of these sound good. I think I will try them. I'm new at all of this but does the slim fast powder count?