Stupid question about water!! Seriously need help!

Okay, so I drink a gallon, sometimes more, of water each day. So I thought drinking water was just that, drinking water but am I drinking it too fast? I work in a factory where I can't have my jug with me constantly, so I drink about a bottle and a half right when I wake up, about another bottle and a half with break and then again the same for lunch and then maybe two hours later again with 1 and a half until I finish my jug at around 7 to 8 pm. Am I spacing my water apart too far and drinking too fast? I've noticed I have a lot of belly bloat and I watch my sodium closely, is the water the culprit to my belly bloat? I don't know why it seems I'm retaining water despite drinking more and watching my sodium levels. Help me please!!

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Are you drinking that much because you're that thirsty or because you think you're supposed to?
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    I can't speak your bloating issue, because I just don't know. But I do wonder why you're drinking so much to begin with. If you're drinking more than a gallon a day whilst keeping your sodium intake low, you run the risk of creating an electrolyte imbalance.

Are you drinking all that water to help you control hunger, or...?
  • sflann50
    sflann50 Posts: 14 Member
    Because I feel I'm supposed to. People say drinking more water helps with weight loss. Someone said I should drink at least half my body weight in water.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    Holy hell, half my body weight in water is 40 litres! I'd die! Like, actually, literally, die!
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    sflann50 wrote: »
    Because I feel I'm supposed to. People say drinking more water helps with weight loss. Someone said I should drink at least half my body weight in water.

Gotcha. That's really not necessary. Even the widely accepted guideline of 64 oz/day isn't necessary for most people. Some people find that drinking water helps them keep their hunger in check, but that never worked for me.

As long as your pee is a very pale yellow, you're sufficiently hydrated. Drinking any more than that is just overkill.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Is your factory where you work really hot, stuffy, so you're sweating alot? If you are hot and sweaty, you're more likely sweating alot out.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited February 2017
    its stated somewhere its half your weight in oz(dont think its gospel though),but 64oz a day is fine. but if you drink coffee/tea,eat fruits or veggies that have high water content then you wont need a lot of water as you can get it from those things.There are many days I dont get 64oz and other days I get more.to me it doesnt impact anything there are days Im still hungry.
  • nutrikimber
    nutrikimber Posts: 2 Member
    Consider add a tiny 'pinch' of sea salt to your water to improve electrolyte balance. (I would encourage you to reduce processed table salt and processed foods - but mineral content in sea salt may be helpful for electrolyte balance if you're consuming at lot of water quickly. Generally its preferable to spread out water intake to promote absorption but certainly schedules can make that tough. Cilantro is one herb that may help w/ the bloating!
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Drink when you're thirsty, as much as you're thirsty for. As long as your urine is pale yellow, you're fine. There is NO need to drink a gallon of water per day unless you are excessively sweating and that thirsty.

Just going to leave this here for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWASUMMQjj8&feature=youtu.be
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    My paramedic friend always tells his patients that if they don't do 6 wees a day they are probably dehydrated. I'd use that guideline in conjunction with your wees being pale yellow in colour to determine how much water you need.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    If I'm not mistaken, that's about four litres, which is twice the generally recommended amount of around two litres.
    And even that is a only rough guide and will vary depend on what you are doing and whether you are also getting lots of liquid in your meals.
    If you are doing physical work in the heat then you need more, otherwise I'd cut it by half and see how you go.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member

No! Not every day anyway.

You can drink too much water, and that would indeed be too much water.

The old recommendation of 8 glasses of water a day is about 2 litres. You should probably be drinking at least that much but you could go a bit more, especially if you're exercising.

I tend toward 3 litres a day, and not just water ... that includes coffee, tea, and water.
  • sflann50
    No, the factory where I work stays a constant temp of roughly 60 to 65 degrees all year round so it's never hot. And my urine is always pretty clear. I usually drink the water with my meals and during/after my exersize when I'm expecially sweaty. I wouldn't say that I'm thirsty when I drink it, but I'm fine with drinking the water as I go, like I never feel super full because of it. I'll try to cut it in half and see how I feel though :)
  • sflann50
    Oh yeah and I also only drink water, I don't much like tea or coffee so I stick to plain Jane h20.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Holy hell, half my body weight in water is 40 litres! I'd die! Like, actually, literally, die!

You weigh over a ton? 40 L = 1352 fl. oz. (I know you're joking btw)

OP, drink when you're thirsty. If your pee is clear/light yellow, you're okay.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    zyxst wrote: »

You weigh over a ton? 40 L = 1352 fl. oz. (I know you're joking btw)

OP, drink when you're thirsty. If your pee is clear/light yellow, you're okay.

I think she took it literally gram per gram. Weighing 80 kg would mean 40 liters.

@Alatariel75 the rule of thumb is meant to be half your weight in pounds, in oz. So for your weight that would be 88 fl.oz.

But yea, I don't buy it. I drink when thirsty. Always have always will.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    My paramedic friend always tells his patients that if they don't do 6 wees a day they are probably dehydrated. I'd use that guideline in conjunction with your wees being pale yellow in colour to determine how much water you need.

Six times? Man, I wish. I pee every 45 minutes or so, except when sleeping...then it's three times per night. :-o
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    edited February 2017
    Oh yeah and I also only drink water, I don't much like tea or coffee so I stick to plain Jane h20.

I drink about a gallon every day. Sometimes more.. Lots days more. And on days get lazy and don't drink as much, feel dehydrated with a headache. I'd say you're fine.