Gaining weight by exercising

SophieeBrook
SophieeBrook Posts: 29 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been to the gym for a week now. I still eat with a deficit (1200cal) and im gaining weight. BUT I feel leaner!
Is it due to muscle weighting more then fat ?

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,369 Member
    edited February 2017
    You wouldn't have gained muscle yet, but if you have been doing weights it could be fluid retention. Weight training causes minute tears in the muscles, the body retains fluid to help repair them.

It could be a number of other factors...hormones, fluid retention due to other reasons, etc etc.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    No. Its virtually impossible to gain muscle on 1200 calories. It's because, as you start or increase exercise, you create tears in your muscles and they hold on to extra water in order to repair. It's normal and should go away within a week or two.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear
  • SophieeBrook
    Thanks guys ! It seemed strange, and yes I have been doing weight training, but not too much . I guess thats it . Thanks.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    Water. I can put on as much as 6lb after heavy exercise. It goes away after a few days (unless you keep upping the intensity, in which case it will go away once you have fully adapted. Don't worry about it. There's a limit to how much water weight you can put on and it is always temporary.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    are you logging accurately and consistently? is this new exercise?

It's not muscle gain...it's probably water retention.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    A lot of times you'll retain water for a week or 2 (stress response) when you start a new and tough workout regime. Give it some time and it should flush out.

Also, pay attention to your body measurements. If they are getting smaller, then you're doing it right, even if the scale is staying put or getting a bit heavier.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Muscle weight increases much more slowly than other kinds of weight and it is somewhat unlikely to occur when you are eating at a deficit. What actually happens is that why you exercise you produce micro tears in the muscle fibers and the body sends water to those areas to help with repairs. Once the extra water is no longer needed you will see a drop in weight.
  • SophieeBrook
    Thanks guys :smile:
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    In my experience, if I am consistent with a new exercise program it can take as much as six weeks for me to adapt to where I don't retain as much water, so don't be concerned if you don't lose it right away. What's important is that you still look/feel/measure leaner.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I have been to the gym for a week now. I still eat with a deficit (1200cal) and im gaining weight. BUT I feel leaner!
    Is it due to muscle weighting more then fat ?

New exercise is going to create tears in existing muscle fibers...like anything you tear, this will cause inflammation and water retention.