Weighing rice cooked or uncooked?

Options
So I like to tracked my macros when I can but when it comes to rice and pasta I'm still a little confused. Most show on the nutritional value 100g cooked. Is this saying what 100g of cooked rice nutritional value is or is it saying what 100g of dry rice when cooked is?

Replies

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I was confused about this,too. In the end I made me own entry in my foods section. The rice I use has nutritional information for cooked and uncooked amounts so it was quite straightforward.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Most of the time you should weight/measure your food in the state you eat it. Pasta and rice are an exception - because depending on the length of time you cook it, it absorbs more water and therefore would give you different weights. One ounce of generic dry pasta is 100 calories. Look up what dry rice is and use that weight.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Depends on the entry you pick. Weighing uncooked is more accurate, but in cases where you can't, it's okay to weigh cooked provided you choose the database entry that explicitly states "cooked". My rice is always weighed cooked because It's always prepared by others for the whole family. I don't like to bother them by snagging items and weighing them while they're preparing meals.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I use a dry weight entry. Weighing rice dry is easier and less messy.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    You can do it either way.
    If you weigh your rice raw, look for an "rice, raw" entry in the database.
    If you weigh it after cooking, look for "rice, cooked".

My preference is to weigh rice cooked, because I'm never going to cook a single serving at a time, so weighing it raw isn't realistic for me.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I weigh it dry.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    weigh uncooked and use the nutrition data on the box (then add in any extra - i.e. if you add butter, oil)
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    The rice I buy actually details calories 'As bought' i.e. dry and 'As prepared' i.e. cooked. So I weigh mine before cooking and log the first number. My long grain rice reckons ~140 calories per 40g dry weight.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I weigh it raw and note how many servings I've made. Then I weigh it again after cooking and divide the total weight by the number of servings I made to get the cooked weight per serving. I figure stuff like that doesn't always absorb the exact same amount of water, so it's good to check it out before and after.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I weigh raw - it's more accurate as the cooking time will alter the amount of water absorbed, and the final cooked weight.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    SolotoCEO wrote: »
    Most of the time you should weight/measure your food in the state you eat it. Pasta and rice are an exception - because depending on the length of time you cook it, it absorbs more water and therefore would give you different weights. One ounce of generic dry pasta is 100 calories. Look up what dry rice is and use that weight.

Actually, it is more accurate to weigh everything raw when possible. Pasta and rice absorb water depending on how long cooked. Other items lose water depending on how long it's cooked. It isn't always feasible to weigh raw, but when you can, that's the bet way to go.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    It also depends on what you cook the rice in. Assuming water, it's best to measure it dry by weight. Depending on how long you cook it or how much water you use, it will absorb more or less and not be as accurate.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Lol. I won't eat it unless there is an entry for it cooked. Because I'm lazy.