Coconut water?

Options
LivLovLrn
LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
Today I had a new student in my Zumba gold class, she went to every student and myself and handed us a container of coconut water. She said it is much more hydrating than water. Not wanting to be rude I drank it, but didn't notice that it was any more helpful than water....thoughts, ideas?

Replies

• dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    I love coconut water. I try to stick with clean eating, so I don't drink sports drinks. I think coconut water is only better than water if you sweat A LOT. I have one after Bikram or a long run on a hot day. It has tons of potassium and a few other electrolites. And it is so yummy!

There are calories in coconut water, so if you don't need it because of a really heavy workout I'd stick with plain water.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    There's this ad for it my gym, I'm guessing that it has electrolytes in it? I would just stick to regular water and maybe the coconut water if you like it, but I wouldn't drink it all the time.
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    It "cleans me out" So I try not to drink it. I do however love the taste so it is a love/hate relationship.
  • marialy21
    marialy21 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Where do you get coconut water?? I've been trying to find it forever!!!
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    I've gotten it at Trader Joes, Cost Plus World Market and Whole Foods.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's more the electrolytes. It's still 60 cals and has 15g sugar (Carbs). But I love the taste of it.

Water works.
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    dont drink TOO much! it can give you the runs!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    .....and I have to order mine by the case at Amazon. The grocery stores got really expensive about a year ago for coconut water.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Where do you get coconut water?? I've been trying to find it forever!!!
    In the soda/water aisle at the grocery store.

I'm guessing because of south Florida's close proximity to the islands coconut water's been popular here since....the dawn of time. Like I laugh when I see people chugging Vita Coco because it's $2 a container and you can get the Jamaican brands (Grace, Ocho Rios) for 79 cents.
  • cjstrong
    cjstrong Posts: 54
    Options
    Dunno, its expensive and aint all that. I just stick to water
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Coconut juice or water, whatever it is, is a natrual laxative.
  • SpectacuLaura
    SpectacuLaura Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Yeah I like to add this into my green juice in small amounts but I would stick to regular water for re-hydrating, in my opinion.
  • Sparrow_Feet
    Sparrow_Feet Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    When you workout you will sweat, well you should sweat providing you are pushing yourself enough. When you sweat you lose essential electrolites, and these need replacing. Water doesn't have any so you are much better drinking something like coconut water or gatorade as these put back the lost electrolites. I've taken the next bit from another internet site - hope it helps! :smile:

Proper hydration is one of the best and easiest things you can do to promote good health. Yet, many people become dehydrated and don’t even know it. Intoxication or working out, in particular, can cause rapid dehydration that should be remedied as soon as possible.

Why is Hydration Important?
    For starters, hydration is important because more than half of your body is composed of water. Yet, there’s a lot more to hydration than that.

Every cell in your body requires water to properly function. When your cells lose more water than they take in, they become dehydrated.

So while water seems simple and readily available, it’s important to actually remember to drink it, and to drink a lot of it. Even if you’re not thirsty, it’s recommended that you continue to consume water. The average person should consume about 8-10 glasses of water per day.

If you’re an athlete or experiencing dehydration due to intoxication, hangover or flu, you will need to consume even more water, especially electrolyte-enhanced water or other super hydrating alternatives like coconut water.

How Can Coconut Water Help Dehydration?

Coconut water is incredibly rich in electrolytes, particularly potassium, and sodium. When you sweat or expel too many liquids, your body loses these electrolytes and becomes dehydrated.

It’s important to maintain good hydration and replenish your electrolytes as soon as you begin to lose them. Coconut water makes it easy (and delicious) to stay hydrated.

So, coconut water is an excellent source of potassium and sodium making it an excellent drink for rehydration, but what else is good about it?

Coconut water is rich in other essential electrolytes, too, such as calcium and magnesium. Electrolytes are necessary for almost every cellular function in your body, especially proper heart, nerve, and muscle function.

Coconut water also contains lots of vitamins, particularly vitamin C and B vitamins. Vitamin C helps to boost immunity. B vitamins help to boost metabolism, and keep your digestive tract moving properly.
  • elle2bee
    elle2bee Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Coconut water is perfectly fine to drink throughout the day. It's all natural, more electrolytes than any leading sports drink without the sodium intake, more potassium than 2 bananas which will aid in preventing cramping after workouts. There's no fat, no cholesterol and it's low in calories.

It has many other benefits too. It helps repair your skin, hair and nails over time. There are so many different brands. I like the brands with pulp. They tend to be naturally sweeter and less bitter. VITA COCO, ONE and ZICO brands are a little bitter and less sweeter. My favorite is Taste Nirvana with Pulp or Amy and Brians all natural Coconut juice.

You can find these at any herbal store, health food store and even Amazon which is where I order them by the case. I do watch how many I drink, as the calories can rack up, but for the most part, this is a healthy alternative to any other drink besides water. I personally have already noticed a difference it has made in the way I feel after I work out the next morning and a day or so later. I'm not near as sore and I constantly feel hydrated.

Hope this helps and enjoy.
  • GLLove
    GLLove Posts: 77
    Options
    So if it's a natural laxitive, isnt it just canceling out any positive hydration benefits it has over water?
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I really like coconut water and I will drink it after I workout. But it is expensive so I rarely buy it. You can find it at Target, but the even there the price is high. I mostly stick with water.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Double post :grumble: