Those now with at maintenance, have you beaten your set point.

Options
surreychic
surreychic Posts: 117 Member
edited February 2017 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Hi all, I have posted on a few boards the same question and seen a great post above requesting info on the non food ways to success). I am curious though, I know when they lose weight (through hard work) they only go and find the reward system in their brains lights up even more with food and they regain the weight.

I am really keen to hear if anyone has managed to lose weight, and keep it off, without surgery.

I am learning more and more about the body set point and how hard people work to achieve weight loss, try and change their lifestyle but stopping food giving them that intense reward feeling, especially following weight loss is tough. I wonder if it's possible to break trough..

It would be great to collate how people did it (if they have). I appreciate bariatric patients tend to do better but I would like to know if there are other ways to overcome it!

Replies

• allierat84
    allierat84 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    There's plenty of people who have lost and kept it off. Go look at the success stories on here.
  • girlgroves
    girlgroves Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    ^^ so much this. My adult weight has varied vastly between 9.5 and 14 stone but when my head has been in the game I've maintained lower weights very well (3 years the last time I was at my current weight). When I look back at the times I've put on substantial amounts of weight it's always been in circumstances where I've almost given myself permission with excuses. Starting work for example = 'have so much less time to exercise', getting pregnant = 'eating for two', career upheaval = 'comfort eating', juggling childcare and going back to full time work = 'no time at all to exercise'.

With regards your question on "stopping food giving that intense reward feeling" I'm actually finding (maybe due to the combination of being so active and feeling so good at my current maintenance weight) that my healthier food choices are tasting soooo good! And those more fat-filled snacks and foods that I used to over-indulge in? - when I do treat myself to them occasionally they actually don't give me such an intense reward feeling anymore. I think I could now take them or leave them. How good is that? :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I didn't know I had a set-point.

I've lost 182# in 5 years (last 9# were unintentional while finding maintenance last year). BMI is 24. Ooo, I barely qualify with that, lel.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    surreychic wrote: »
    I am really keen to hear if anyone has managed to lose weight, and keep it off, without surgery.

Yes.

• Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm not actually sure what your question is, what you mean by body set-point?

I simply started using MFP, back in 2011, and then it worked. I slowly lost the weight and it's still gone. I allow myself to fluctuate a few pounds, but other than that, it's pretty easy.
    For me it was mostly about awareness. Even though I don't log my food anymore, I do know roughly how much I'm eating/should be eating.
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I have ... You could also read the success thread.

One thing I've noticed, if I may share: you can drive yourself crazy reading everything about how it's difficult to lose weight whether it's set-point, age, menopause, gender, height, carb ranges, medications, and on and on and on. This is why I recommend reading the success thread -- hang out around stories about how it's been done. The way you write your post makes it sound like you believe that there is such a thing. I'm sure you can find study after study about it. Don't go there. 1000s of people share their stories about losing weight on this site despite all of the above. You can too!
  • Machka9
    Options
    What exactly is "set point"?
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

The set point theory, if I recall correctly, is that your body has a weight that it is supposed to be and even if you lose weight, your body will make sure that you get back to that weight. Others claim that they can never get below a certain weight because it's their body's "set point", but the reality is that since weight loss slows down as one loses more weight, the person isn't noticing the small losses or underestimating their food intake which is making them think they've "plateaued".
  • Machka9
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »

The set point theory, if I recall correctly, is that your body has a weight that it is supposed to be and even if you lose weight, your body will make sure that you get back to that weight. Others claim that they can never get below a certain weight because it's their body's "set point", but the reality is that since weight loss slows down as one loses more weight, the person isn't noticing the small losses or underestimating their food intake which is making them think they've "plateaued".

Ah yes ... I have heard of it.

• smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I don't know where the Set Point theory came from but I'm pretty sure it's a myth. It just doesn't make any sense.
    I've known so many people who have said "I can never weigh less than x because my body won't let me" etc, and have then smashed through their goals and realised that set point never existed. I think some people also use it as an excuse, "I can't lose any more weight so why even bother".
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I lost over 50lbs and have kept it off...but set point psh

what is mine? my heaviest weight, my lightest weight? mid weight? current weight? the weight I got to before I went back up?

\please tell me what is my set point and how do I figure it out...
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I do believe at least somewhat in the set point theory. After all, homeostasis is a thing. So summarily dismissing set point theory isn't logical to me. And I've certainly had long periods of time in my life where it was quite easy or quite challenging to maintain a certain weight.

I guess I've had two success stories.

When I was 25 I lost 64 pounds and successfully kept it off for years and years. Fast forward to when I was around 50. I'd been through two pregnancies and was mostly through menopause when I found my weight creeping up no matter what I did. I couldn't figure it out. No matter how little I ate and how much I exercised the number on the scale kept slowly increasing. Eventually I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, started medication and the weight started coming off. It wasn't effortless but neither was it overwhelmingly difficult. I lost about 24 pounds and have kept it off for over a year now.

Assuming set point is a thing I do believe it can be changed by slow weight loss, getting at least some regular exercise and by maintaining the lower weight long enough to give the body time to recognize a new normal. Of course I don't mean that eventually you'll be able to eat as much as your overweight self did and maintain a lower weight, but that the lower weight will become reasonably easy to maintain.