HELP! Anyone know anything about hormone imbalance and weight loss??

Options
Hello there
Before I get into my story please note that I have lost weight before, I know all about logging and measuring and how to not overestimate your exercise calorie burn....etc etc etc
I am looking for specific help in regards to losing weight after removal of ovaries and medical menopause...if you have any first hand knowledge on this subject then I need your help!!!

Story in a nutshell:
After I battled cancer from 2010-2011 I got in the best shape of my life. I started running and strength training and reached my goal weight of 120 in March of 2014. I had never felt better. Then, at advice of my doctor at the age of 30 I got my ovaries taken out. I went into menopause straight away. I started on Hormone Replacement Estrogen and Progesterone 2 weeks after surgery and ever since that day I have not been the same. I slowly and steadily gained weight, despite keeping up my normal healthy lifestyle of eating right and exercise. The harder I tried the worst it got. I finally ditched the hormone replacement pills in September of 2016 and my weight for the first time in years stabilized. But I know my hormones are not balanced and that's part the problem.

But, here is the kicker. It is now stuck at that 166-168 mark. I do everything I can to make it budge, but it wont. Over these last 3 years I have done lots of research and I am more confused then ever. I have seen an Endocrinologist who tested me for everything you can think of. Thyroid is normal; Adrenal function is in normal range; Estrogen and Testosterone are normal for a POST MENOPAUSAL woman of course (which means they are in the drain!)
I have eaten less, I have exercised...I have done HIIT and running, and weights, and yoga...I have increased the protein and limited the carbs....and everything you can think of and I am so burnt out on things that don't work. My stomach (which has never been my weight gain area) is bigger than I have ever seen and I am frustrated!!!
I need someone who has experience or knowledge to please share what works! What type of foods, what type of exercise, what type of supplements/vitamins....ANYTHING!!!
I am extremely frustrated and feeling hopeless.
I know have given up on my once 120lb goal weight and just want to shed at least 20 of these extra pounds and feel like myself again.

Thank you in advance for reading this.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Your food diary is empty, how do you know you are in a deficit?
  • Jess830409
    Jess830409 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Because I manually log on paper due to my job and the hours away from a computer.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    Have you lost no weight since tracking? How do you know your tracking is accurate?
  • Jess830409
    Options
    Yes, in the past I lost a lot of weight while using MFP and tracking from 2012 thru 2014 - I am not new to this by any means. I have food scales both at work and home; I can count calories in my sleep pretty much lol. The change I need advice on his hormonal. My activity and food intake did not change from when I lost weight before and my body is definitely different after the surgery.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    You can blame your not losing because of your hormones but it does not change the fact that are eating more than you think. If you not losing, eat a little less or exercise a little longer. Do this everyday.
  • Jess830409
    Options
    You aren't helping. Been there, done that. Not eating anymore. Not blaming it on hormones. Its a true story, and one I have been dealing with for years now. So, unless you have first hand experience on the matter I thank you for your comment but it doesn't mean much. I know how active I am and I know what I eat...I also know my body and this is not just an "eat less, exercise more" situation.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh all your food on a food scale?
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    Why do you assume I know nothing of hormones? I'm trying to help you.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    The thing is, while there are factors that can change the calories out part of the equation, it still boils down to eating less than you require to maintain. There are plenty of post menopausal women here who have lost weight in exactly the same way as women who are not.

You have had every other health condition ruled out but even then, it is still possible to lose weight. And again, there are plenty of users here on MFP that prove that.

Science says you cannot gain weight without an excess of energy for your needs. And you cannot lose it without a reduction of what your body needs. It's just human physiology.
  • Jess830409
    Options
    Yes, I do weigh on a digital food scale

I am not assuming that - I stated you weren't being helpful. I am looking for advice on the best type of exercise and diet to combat a hormonal imbalance. My normal way of eating is emphasis on fruits, vegetables, chicken or fish. I do eat steak on occasion and my favorite snacks are string chees, popcorn (air popped) and I do like certain protein bars.

I am a runner (my favorite type of exercise) I am not a heavy lifter due to my past surgeries and limited upper body strength...but I do body weight exercise for upper body.

Some studies show a decrease in prolonged cardio helps, others state strength training is key after menopause....some say no carbs after menopause....its all too confusing. All I know is what I am doing is not working...so this is why I ask for help
  • Jess830409
    Options
    The thing is, while there are factors that can change the calories out part of the equation, it still boils down to eating less than you require to maintain. There are plenty of post menopausal women here who have lost weight in exactly the same way as women who are not.

You have had every other health condition ruled out but even then, it is still possible to lose weight. And again, there are plenty of users here on MFP that prove that.

Science says you cannot gain weight without an excess of energy for your needs. And you cannot lose it without a reduction of what your body needs. It's just human physiology.

So, in this respect, if I have kept my activity level the same (calories out) and have limited calories to 1,500 with no change, then 1,300 with no change...where to go from here? Is there a way to truly know what my BMR is? I, of course, have always stuck by the "never below 1,200" rule as gospel - but maybe this is not a 100% science.
  • Jackson2348
    Jackson2348 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think what this is telling you is that the hormonal issues are disrupting your normal in/out equation. So while I'm sure you have a handle on tracking and exercise, your CO side is apparently MUCH lower due to menopause. It sucks, but the equation still stands. Up your output, or lower your intake.
  • legsnbacon
    legsnbacon Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    How many calories a day are you eating now?
  • ameliabee6
    ameliabee6 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    First off, I'm so sorry for your health issues at such a young age and I hope you are well now. I completely empathize with your frustration about the hormone imbalance and no weight loss. I am in a similar situation and have been reading a lot about stress and cortisol and their connection to weight loss/gain. Everything I have been reading indicates that high-intensity workouts in certain people (women over 40/those with hormone issues) can actually increase cortisol. The things I have read/seen suggest low-intensity workouts such as walking, yoga and strength training to lower . I just this week am starting to make this change. Maybe give it a try? Best of luck to you!
  • Jess830409
    Options
    legsnbacon wrote: »
    How many calories a day are you eating now?

1,300 Mon-Fri with anywhere from 1,300-1,500 on the weekends
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP I'll start out by saying I have no experience with your situation so take its for what it's worth.

You say you have been tested and all your hormone levels are normal. So why are you convinced the problem is hormonal? Usually when ones hormones are out of whack, it affects weight loss by messing up your CO. The way to fix it is by getting your hormone levels normalized. Menopausal women can lose weight just like everyone else. Perhaps try to get a second opinion from another endocrinologist?

There are lots of people out there who want to convince you that a special diet or supplement can fix your hormones but they are usually selling something so I doubt it's true. I think the most common suggestion is low carb, and it couldn't hurt to try that.

Unfortunately when someone insists they are doing everything right 99.9% of the time the answer is in their food log regardless. If you don't want to discuss that, it's kind of impossible to give any specific advice, because seeing what you are logging and what you are aiming for is a big part of the picture either way.

I hope someone with more experience in your situation can help you out more. There are a lot of veteran posters who lost their weight after menopause, or with pcos or hormone conditions. Best of luck I hope you figure it out.
  • Jess830409
    Options
    ameliabee6 wrote: »
    First off, I'm so sorry for your health issues at such a young age and I hope you are well now. I completely empathize with your frustration about the hormone imbalance and no weight loss. I am in a similar situation and have been reading a lot about stress and cortisol and their connection to weight loss/gain. Everything I have been reading indicates that high-intensity workouts in certain people (women over 40/those with hormone issues) can actually increase cortisol. The things I have read/seen suggest low-intensity workouts such as walking, yoga and strength training to lower . I just this week am starting to make this change. Maybe give it a try? Best of luck to you!

Thank you. Best of luck to you as well! I have read some of the same...it is hard to wrap your head around because I am used to higher intensity for the calorie burn - and I know I need to burn to lose. It I seems like a whole new ball game after menopause.
  • Jess830409
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP I'll start out by saying I have no experience with your situation so take its for what it's worth.

You say you have been tested and all your hormone levels are normal. So why are you convinced the problem is hormonal? Usually when ones hormones are out of whack, it affects weight loss by messing up your CO. The way to fix it is by getting your hormone levels normalized. Menopausal women can lose weight just like everyone else. Perhaps try to get a second opinion from another endocrinologist?

There are lots of people out there who want to convince you that a special diet or supplement can fix your hormones but they are usually selling something so I doubt it's true. I think the most common suggestion is low carb, and it couldn't hurt to try that.

Unfortunately when someone insists they are doing everything right 99.9% of the time the answer is in their food log regardless. If you don't want to discuss that, it's kind of impossible to give any specific advice, because seeing what you are logging and what you are aiming for is a big part of the picture either way.

I hope someone with more experience in your situation can help you out more. There are a lot of veteran posters who lost their weight after menopause, or with pcos or hormone conditions. Best of luck I hope you figure it out.

Thank you. I have no problem discussing my food log, but I do a lot of manual logging due to my work and not having access all the time to MFP. If you look back I was super proud to do some online logging earlier this month and in the past. But I do monitor every day, and most days I am boring eating same old same.
    Either way, I agree with you on the selling aspect for sure. I am not at all looking for a magic pill. But I know certain herbs and vitamins will aide with different hormones. The reason I am so sure it is hormonal because my Estrogen, Progesterone and Testosterone levels dropped dramatically due to the fact this wasn't a normal progressive menopause - its like going from 0 to 100 - unlike other menopausal women of older ages, my body did not adjust or adapt over time - it took a nose dive.

After almost 50 lbs of weight gain it has not found a new normal so to speak.
  • ameliabee6
    ameliabee6 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    @jess830409 I know. HIIT and running were the two things that always worked for me in the past. Low-intensity seems to easy but it's worth a shot! Feel free to add me if you'd like. I say let's both give it a try for a month as an experiment and see what happens.
  • Jess830409
    Options
    ameliabee6 wrote: »
    @jess830409 I know. HIIT and running were the two things that always worked for me in the past. Low-intensity seems to easy but it's worth a shot! Feel free to add me if you'd like. I say let's both give it a try for a month as an experiment and see what happens.

Sounds good! I am actually doing like a run/walk program now (I just give up running totally!) Its hard for me to do all low intensity, but I don't want to stand in my own way!!