Tips/advice on going Keto??

Options
Started my first day today (: looking for some pointers!

Replies

• trustymutsi
    trustymutsi Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Drink water, don't be afraid of salt. You might experience "Keto flu". It's worth fighting through it.

When counting carbs, you can subtract the fiber from total carbs, which is your net carbs.

Try to get most of your carbs from veggies. I am sometimes tempted to get them from one small treat, but then I'm missing out of the veggie's nutrients.

I'm by no means an expert. I'm on my third week. I've lost 9 lbs though, and look better!
  • pstaggs
    pstaggs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm new to keto too... Love the Maria Emmerich book... Good flavorful recipes without much effort! Great wing recipe on "I Breath I'm Hungry " site!
  • acarpenter
    acarpenter Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple at first - don't try all the complicated recipes with ingredients like xantham gum and stuff like that.

If you start feeling bad, drink some chicken broth or beef broth.

If you're on Instagram, search 'keto' and you'll find tons of good accounts to follow that post snapshots of their food.

If you're on Facebook, do the same. Lots of groups you can join with great info and photos of food ideas.

Just because you're eating low carb, doesn't mean you will automatically lose weight. You still need to be in a calorie deficit, so make sure you track everything like you normally would.

Just my two cents. Good luck!