Help Me Learn to Love Running!

Options
I really want to learn to love running, but am just so stuck. At this point I am so slow that I get discouraged every time I try to go and do it, and it is so difficult for me to convince myself to keep trying. I recently bought myself a new pair of running shoes, and I've been using the Aaptiv app to coach me through runs, but it just doesn't feel good. I wouldn't say that I am in any sort of specific pain, it is just terribly uncomfortable. I lose my breath very quickly and then all I can think about is when it is going to be over. I signed up to do a 5K in a couple of weeks, with the notion that I will have to walk a lot of it, but after a particularly discouraging attempt at running last night, I don't know if I will follow through. I am seeking others who hated running, and were able to learn to love it, to please tell me your secrets! I am willing to hear any tips and tricks that anybody might have to help me learn to love running. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I ran first time round this health fitness loop, and got up to being able to run a full 5k run, let me let you in on a couple of my thoughts.

C25K is a great program, starts really slow and steady. Uses a run/walk approach

If you can not breathe you are going too fast, slow down. I am back up to being able to run for 15min and have run/walked a few 5ks.

My greatest secret, I am not sure I will ever enjoy running while I am doing it, but I do enjoy having gone out and run. (I run with my dog, now he enjoys running, I will never get that excited to go out running!)
  • bossymom15
    bossymom15 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to start slow, but keep at it. I started running to be able to say I did a 5K by my 50th birthday. I wasn't getting very far until I happened across a friend out running too. She was willing to run with me and coach and I was just to embarrassed to let her know I had never run as far as she planned on us going. I made it, no passing out, no throwing up and it was a turning point for me. I realized the only think holding me back was me!! I still don't run far, 5 miles is the most I've done. But some days I hit the zone and that keeps sending be back on the tough days. Plus I LOVE how I feel the rest of the day after I run. I can breathe so much better!
  • SimonCypher
    SimonCypher Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    It's not just beginners who need help learning to love running, I didn't run between September - January and had to find my love again for running.

I didn't really find a solution other than lacing up and getting out the door. That was the hardest part for me personally. Even now I find running more of a mental battle than physical and have to fight through at times to keep going. Such as the other day I wanted to go out for a run (no distance planned) and around 5k I really felt like giving up, but I knew that I had more left in me and I had to fight on. I ended up running 25k and felt absolutely amazing afterwards.

I've also got a fair few running friends who encourage with me with their posts on here, Facebook, Instagram and Strava and highly recommend surrounding yourself with other runners if you can.#

One thing you should know is everyone CAN run and you personally CAN do this! I've sent you a FR and will happily lend encouragement where I can. Admittedly I'm a bit more experienced but I absolutely love nothing more than seeing people take up running and what they can accomplish!
  • bepperson30
    bepperson30 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Really just be persistent. I HATE running. But I got a good partner that was just a little better than me and my competitive streak too over. I wanted to keep up and she didn't want to stop before I did so we pushed each other. After about a week I could tell I started walking later and later in our runs. If you don't have a partner I would pick a mile stone to keep an eye on and try to get to it before stopping; like a driveway, light post, or if your on a treadmill a particular time. Start off trying to get to 3 mins then 3:30 and so on. It really helps to have a goal instead of just running to run. Atleast for me. But eventually you will see a difference in your endurance.
  • JessM822
    JessM822 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Forget about pace. You need to set small goals. If you go out for a 3 mile run/walk set a goal for that activity. Run for the first 5 minutes, walk for 10 minutes, then run for 5 minutes. I hope that makes sense? Every time you go for a run try to increase the time you run and decrease the time you walk. It doesn't have to be huge increases either.
    While you're running you need to find your happy place in your head. Focus on the music you're listening to, your surroundings, or how you will feel when you complete your first 5K. I started out running just like you and learned to love it. Then just running got old, so I started competing in Triathlons. Having a multi discipline sport makes training a lot more interesting. This year I'm attempting my first Ironman. Trust me I understand pain, and taking my body to very dark places. lol
    Everyone's body is different. Maybe try some cross training. Rollerblading or riding your bike. Just as long as you're getting your heart rate up and pushing your body. The days I didn't run I always went out on my bike. Either way I wish you luck and hope you're successful!!
  • slomo22
    slomo22 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, my then girlfriend and I decided to start running to get in shape. She was a horrible runner. In the beginning she couldn't run for more than 2 minutes continuously. We set goals based on that. We started running for 2 minutes, then walking 2 minutes and repeated that cycle for a few days. Then we changed the duration based on her improvement. Drop the rest to 1 minute, run for 3 minutes etc. After a month or so she could easily run for 15 minutes or more.

I think you'll get motivated once you see yourself improve. However, I never learned to love running. I did learn that I enjoy listening to podcasts or watching netfilx on an elliptical or stairmaster. Don't get discouraged if running doesn't work out.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    So far everyone else here has given great advice, so I just want to encourage you that probably most of us who loved running did not like it at first. We adapted and we learned to love it, and once that happened it was the escape sometimes, and the classic runners high we craved, but it happened after the doing, and by staying consistent. Like the others have said, start at the level you are at and slowly work up endurance and strength. A little weight lifting all body routine will actually help running performance, as does losing excess body fat. Have fun!
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about pace, and walk breaks are a great way to get to a longer distance. I've heard good things about C25K althought never did it myself. Once you have gotten better results you will probably feel more confident so in the meantime find something to distract yourself. Maybe you are more social and running with a friend will motivate you. I had a lot of success with books on tape or podcasts on long runs. Some people like a really good mix of music, although if you run a lot this may get old.
  • feetjustgo
    feetjustgo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Follow a structured program like C25K (ensures you build an adequate base and don't burn out, gives you a plan to follow and a sense of accomplishment). Implicit in this advice: you need to get out there regularly.

SLOW DOWN. Seriously, slow down even more. If you're losing your breath quickly, you're going too fast. If you're embarrassed running at an ideal (talking) pace, then find a place to run where people won't see you. Slowing way way down is a game changer. This blog helped me grasp the importance of slowing down: http://doctormama.blogspot.com/2006/05/listen-up-maggots.html
    http://doctormama.blogspot.com/2013/04/how-i-became-slow-runner.html

For a beginner, I recommend doing C25K while also trying to run as slowly as you can bear. You will NOT keep up with running if it's miserable--your goal should be to get out there regularly and find a way to make it not miserable! (Running outside instead of on a treadmill helps me personally.) Later on, once you're hooked, you can decide to go further or faster and may find a little misery is worthwhile. But as a beginner, you need to focus on comfort.

Finally, I highly recommend the book Chi Running. It encourages you to focus on form and running comfortably--very inspiring but also full of practical tips.
  • aki619
    aki619 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Woah, you guys are awesome! I'm already feeling better about taking another bite of the apple. Thank you, thank you, thank you, for all of this incredible advice!! :)
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    z4oslo wrote: »
    I started running in August 2016. At that my my fitness level was .. well .. ground zero.
    Wanting to improve my fitness level was my motivation, and that motivation was stronger than the pain I experienced when i started running.

I used the app zombies run 5k training app when I started out, and its brilliant. Instead on basic instructions and /or beeps, you get a wonderful story that makes you want to get out and run again.

Also, the progress I made from one week to the next was very motivating for me. When i looked at the training plan and saw a 20 min run in week 4 I thought no way I can do that, but I did (not bad for a 47 yo chain smoker)

my suggestions is this:

- Find a good training app that you like (and try the zombies run 5k)
    - Have good running shoes
    - RUN SLOWLY. Speed comes later.

You will improve from one week to the next, and that is very motivating.
    See you soon, Runner 5

I started running with Zombies run (the regular one) so that I could do a fun mud run. I was excited about the goal and love the story on zombies mixed with dance music. I prefer running outside to the dreadmill. If I AM on the dreadmill, a fan and a tv in front of me helps. Sometimes a good audiobook works too for slow runs.

Basically try to stay cool and distract yourself by any means possible from listening to your breath or the stupid slow creeping up of distance.

Also don't worry about how fast. Just keep moving. The speed will come naturally, especially if you're outside.

It took a while but I love it now. Still hate the dreadmill. Cant wait for spring. Good luck!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I started running when a coworker challenged me to run a 5K with her. I followed a C25K program and was determined to finish and run that race. I slogged through those early weeks hating every minute of it.

However, finishing that 5K was amazing. I ran it at a turtle pace but I finished. I was hooked on running after that. Everyone, from the fastest runner to the slowest walker, was so supportive and encouraging. Plus, most 5K races raise money for a charitable cause and they give you a bag of goodies at packet pick up.
  • rubrink
    rubrink Posts: 43 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

I've been running for 4 years. It's a love-hate thing, I still go through periods where I don't enjoy it (in fact, right now I'm ready for 3 weeks from now, because I'm taking a couple month break after this half I wish I hadnt signed up for). But there arent many things in life that are better than a good run.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Not my post, but I am really motivated now to get into running. Been toying with the idea for a bit and want to do the C25K program. Thanks everyone for the great suggestions and all the motivation!!
  • dindon68
    dindon68 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    For me listening to fantastic up-beat music helps me massively, I'm on my sixth week of couch to 10k. I started on week 1, running for 90 seconds walking for 2 minutes (thinking I was going to die) today I ran for 5 minutes walked for 2.5, did that 3 times and was so happy I not only could do it but felt it was quite natural to do.
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you need to work on your aerobic base. If you can't carry on a conversation, you're running too hard. I would suggest finding a pace where you can run for your entire session opposed to running/walking/running. I call the pace you need to be running an "impersonation of your grandpa running." Start small, maybe 10 mins, maybe even 5 mins. You may need to walk a bit getting started. I'm on week 12 of a program and I can basically run sub 9 min/mi on flat road for hours. Or, I did a 13 mile and 4000' day in the mountains last saturday - after 40 miles of training Mon-friday.

Without that aerobic base, you'll eventually plateau - that goes for long distance and sprinters alike. Start slow, be consistent (daily, one or two rest days a week at most), gradually increase your load.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    OP, some great advice given above. If you decide that you'd like to continue running, many people find the support of a group makes a big difference. I've seen dozens of new runners sign up for the 5k beginners groups at my local running store and have a great experience. You'll often meet others of similar background and share the journey to "race day" as a team. This helps build confidence and the group runs often become a fun appointment on your calendar each week. Good luck!