Slow cooker recommendations

zyxst
zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
edited February 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Thinking about buying a crock pot/slow cooker but not sure what size. I want something large enough for things like pulled pork/chicken, pasta (mac & cheese, let's be honest), and fish, but small enough for just 2 people with maybe leftovers. I also want to try to cook oatmeal, but I'm the only one who will eat it, so 1-2 servings maximum. I read that a 2 qt. size is "enough", but maybe getting a 6 qt. "just in case".

Brands I'm looking at are Hamilton Beach, Crock-Pot, or Black & Decker.

Replies

• rainbowyeager
    rainbowyeager Posts: 22 Member
    I think the best crock pot for you would be one with a double pot. You can slow roast veggies in one side and make meat in the other. I make all sorts of healthy foods in mine. My husband likes my white chili and also when I make soups. Mine is a Crock-Pot brand, but I paid $3 for it at a garage sale. Lol.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    I don't think the brand matters but I can tell you right now that the 2qt one is going to disappoint you.

Yeah, you can make oatmeal in it, but not much else.
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    edited February 2017
    I have a 5 litre pot which is too big for single meals but is perfect for batch cooking and family meals. A 5 litre one will comfortably hold a whole chicken, 1.5kg joint of pork, whole leg of lamb etc.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    My friend had one that came with 3 pots, small medium and large that each fit onto the heating base. They nested inside each other for storage.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    My friend had one that came with 3 pots, small medium and large that each fit onto the heating base. They nested inside each other for storage.

That? Sounds awesome.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member

This is genius. Off to the amazon for research!

Right now I have two crockpots a 4qt and 8 qt. I would love to have only one.
  • zyxst
    edited February 2017

That sounds like what I want.

ETA: Found this searching Walmart. I wonder if I can get one tonight...

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/hamilton-beach-right-size-slow-cooker/6000187384576
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    I like using the bigger pot because things cook quicker. The smaller ones will take longer.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    I use a big crock pot and just leave it on keep warm til I finish the pot.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    I bought one for my son for Christmas from Amazon...read lots of reviews and ended up with crock pot brand I think. I'm not sure what size I ended up with but I did get him a cookbook about crockpot meals for 2. I have a hard time cooking smaller meals...especially casserole type meals.
  • ivygirl1937
    ivygirl1937 Posts: 899 Member
    Emily3907 wrote: »

Must. Have. *Starts planning a trip to local Bed Bath and Beyond*
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    I have this one. It isn't programmable, but I just use a timer and it works out OK. There's only two of us at home, but I still went with the larger size because I like making a huge batch of chilli and freezing the leftovers for days when I can't be bothered to cook.

https://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-Patterned-Slow-Cooker-4-5-qt/dp/B00GFC644I/ref=sr_1_21?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1486579848&sr=1-21&keywords=crockpot&refinements=p_89:Crock-Pot,p_n_feature_four_browse-bin:3088473011
  • zyxst
    I talked to hubby about getting one and he agreed it's a good idea. The sad part is we're going to ask my MIL to buy one for our anniversary in 5 weeks. The waiting...
  • Kevindagul
    Kevindagul Posts: 19 Member
    edited February 2017
    zyxst wrote: »

That sounds like what I want.

ETA: Found this searching Walmart. I wonder if I can get one tonight...

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/hamilton-beach-right-size-slow-cooker/6000187384576

Just bought the same exact one at wally world today
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    You might also look into electric pressure cookers like the instant pot.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    cmtigger wrote: »
    You might also look into electric pressure cookers like the instant pot.

That's what I was going to suggest, I just got an Instant Pot this weekend. I have several slow cookers already but am excited that this enables you to sauté, and pressure cook, steam, or slow cook in it.

Making beef stew with butternut squash for my second trial run with the thing!
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    I have two 4 quart slow cookers, one Crock-Pot, one Hamilton Beach. It is PERFECT for me. I live alone but meal prep every week. I can also fit a whole chicken in it. Or ten baked potatoes. I have two so I can meal prep my lunches and dinners at the same time on Sundays. The Crock-Pot liners are a MUST. They make clean up pretty much non-existent. I am a slow cooker lover.
  • ceeana
    ceeana Posts: 4 Member
    I highly recommend buying one big enough you can put a whole chicken in it.

That way you can "roast" the chicken and have chicken for days! Meal prepping!!!

I also love making meatloaf in it.

It's such a wonderful time saver and it's so nice to have a warm dinner after work!
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Rather than a dedicated crockpot, just buy an Instant Pot instead. It's a multicooker, so it slow cooks, pressure cooks, steams, makes rice, makes yogurt, stews, and more.

My kitchen is tiny, so I don't have any room for one-trick-ponies!