Rebuilding a broken body

Options
Well, here i am.
Its been over 2 years since i was in a gym, or had any thought of what i ate. Infact, for a year and a half, ive been VERY sedentary. Almost all of that time, i sat in front of the TV, hardly moving but to use the bathroom, or go to sleep.
Sounds like a right lazy person huh?

Well, i MAY have had an excuse. I was involved in a horrific road accident, which left me being airlifted to hospital, my wife, 5yr old son and 2 WEEK OLD baby (yes 2 weeks!) being told there may be bad news. You see my spine was smashed in two places, my neck broken, my right lower leg held on by the skin at the rear of the knee, my left ankle shattered and worse still, my head swollen to twice its original size.
Yet with excellent doctors, surgeons, and nurses, here i am. Its took a year to learn to walk again, and finally i am beginning my excersise regime.
With the help of the app, tracking what excersises i do daily, what i eat, i can keep a log and show my Physio. Plus, it helps guide me to loose the weight. Every kilo i carry in weight is multiplied to my knee and ankle every time i walk. So i have a serious incentive to loose some big pounds!
Ive had the whole knee replaced and ligaments rebuilt, the ankle has been partially built from tin cans (thats what i call it! Gotta keep a smile!)
My spine has a huge rod down its middle, with enough screws to build a shed, and whatever angel was looking after me that day prevented me from serious brain damage.
Im here, with my wife and two boys, and i WILL show them what daddy can do. Im going to do this, im going to reach my goal, and hopefully this app will help.

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    You've been through so much already, you've got this! :smile:
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    You've come so far already, the weight loss will be easy for you, well done x
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    My road accident wasn't nearly as bad as yours, it I can absolutely relate to having to learn to walk again. You've obviously made a tremendous amount of progress so far and with your attitude, I've no doubt that you'll continue to progress. Best of luck to you! :)
  • DasViolator69
    DasViolator69 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow that is a truly amazing story I hope this does help and that you reach your goal but you sound truly determined so I'm sure that you will.
  • silberoma
    silberoma Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You have courage and determination, and I salute you. Wishing you best of luck to reach your goal. Bless you and your family!
  • emoe1973
    emoe1973 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thankyou everyone, its nice to have some encouragement too!
    I actually managed to do 5 minutes on a stationary bike this morning.......might be feeling that a little right now!
    But hey, unless i try ill never know IF i can do it.
  • lisahebert186
    lisahebert186 Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Wow, you are already a true inspiration. Good luck and keep smiling.
  • laceyslabaugh
    laceyslabaugh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration to all of us complaining of being tired, overworked or anything else! You, Sir have given me a new insight of pushing myself to want this even more! Congratulations and Thank you for inspiring me!!!
  • emoe1973
    emoe1973 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Oh i get tired! And i have spent a fair few months being that moany git everyone hates!
    But having the ability to get up off the chair makes for a completely different person.

To be totally honest, i am doing most of this for my eldest son. He has struggled to watch the last few years unfold, and i want to showmhim that all is not lost. With determination, daddy can overcome the injuries, and show him that as he grows, if he TRIES, he is more likely to succeed.
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Best of luck of this new part of your life's journey! It's amazing what medical help can do and what each of us can do once we focus and try.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Wow! You are a walking testimony. You WILL do this! God has plans for you my friend!
  • EifionCockram
    EifionCockram Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My friend, truely heart touching and inspirational. It's good you have the determination and positive outlook, just keep that going. Always look ahead my friend, well done and we are here for you.