Moments of weakness

Options
Its a beautiful day here in nyc and all i can think about is McDonald's ugh give me strength :s

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with mcdonalds once in a while?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Yup, still have McD's here, too. If I feel like having it, I work the rest of my calories around it.

Deprivation rarely works long term, I've found. :)
  • NannersBalletLegs
    NannersBalletLegs Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Think of it like an addictive drug. You may think you want it right now, but it will have less and less appeal for you the longer you abstain. Buddhist author Thich Nhat Hahn talks about being mindful of which seeds you water with everyday choices. Make a conscious decision to water the seeds that nourish and heal you (eating good, healthy, nutrient-dense foods) rather than feeding the chemical companies and agribusiness conglomerates that make fast food enterprises like McDonalds so addictive and destructive. You deserve better, and you can do this!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Alternative fact...

Wendy's is better...
  • mactaffy428
    mactaffy428 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Better yet, make your own hamburger/chicken sandwich or whatever. You will know exactly what is in it, how it is cooked, etc. and it will taste better than mass-cooked food that lays around until sold....
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I had Taco Bell yesterday. Nothing wrong with having some fast food in moderation.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Hey! McDonald's ain't that bad... Give the new Shamrock shakes a try ;)

I never got into those. Have they changed them recently?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    You can actually do pretty well at McDonald's, calorie and macro-wise. My go-to is always a McDouble with a 4 pc McNugget. 570 calories and 33 grams of protein.

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Its a beautiful day here in nyc and all i can think about is McDonald's ugh give me strength :s

Hey! McDonald's ain't that bad... Give the new Shamrock shakes a try ;)

Is it minty or just green?
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Rainy day here in california. Now, I'm thinkin' McDonalds too! (I usually get a single cheeseburg and large diet coke. About 300 calories, fills me up for hours so I don't snack, and a reasonable macro-nutrient split among Protein, Carbohydrate, and Fat.)

Bon Appetit!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    OP, if you have took in McD's in your calories, then it is okay. I still eat it. I had KFC last week.

You don't have to eliminate foods from your diet to lose weight.
    You can do it! Think of it like an addictive drug. You may think you want it right now, but it will have less and less appeal for you the longer you abstain. Buddhist author Thich Nhat Hahn talks about being mindful of which seeds you water with everyday choices. Make a conscious decision to water the seeds that nourish and heal you (eating good, healthy, nutrient-dense foods) rather than feeding the chemical companies and agribusiness conglomerates that make fast food enterprises like McDonalds so addictive and destructive. You deserve better, and you can do this!

Whoa.. addictive. Any (reputable) sources to back up your post? Also, do you stay away from Dihydrogen monoxide?
  • cerise_noir
    edited February 2017
    Options
    OP, if you have took room in McD's in your calories, then it is okay. I still eat it. I had KFC last week.

Gah... cannot edit. "Room" not "took"..
  • NannersBalletLegs
    NannersBalletLegs Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    OP, if you have took in McD's in your calories, then it is okay. I still eat it. I had KFC last week.

Whoa.. addictive. Any (reputable) sources to back up your post? Also, do you stay away from Dihydrogen monoxide?

@cerise_noir To clarify, I'm not suggesting that one can't lose weight while eating garbage like McDonalds. Not everyone's goal is to simply lose weight, though. Some people are actually trying to eat healthier and some people have a difficult time doing that because of how fast and processed food affects the brain and the body. Not everyone who avoids it is doing so because they've been taken in by fake news, consulting a crystal ball, or following the latest diet guru.

Here's some science:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21999689
    http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fnbeh.2016.00189/full
    http://fastlab.psych.lsa.umich.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Gearhardtetal_AddictionPotentialofHyperpalatableFoods_2011.pdf

• cerise_noir
    Options

@cerise_noir To clarify, I'm not suggesting that one can't lose weight while eating garbage like McDonalds. Not everyone's goal is to simply lose weight, though. Some people are actually trying to eat healthier and some people have a difficult time doing that because of how fast and processed food affects the brain and the body. Not everyone who avoids it is doing so because they've been taken in by fake news, consulting a crystal ball, or following the latest diet guru.

Here's some science:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21999689
    http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fnbeh.2016.00189/full
    http://fastlab.psych.lsa.umich.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Gearhardtetal_AddictionPotentialofHyperpalatableFoods_2011.pdf

Do you have any links to studies not performed on rats? Every paper you linked mentioned experimental research on rats.

Also, just to clarify: you'll find most here mostly consume nutritious foods but add treats. No one here advocates eating a diet primarily of "junk".
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting in Chicken Express drive through right now and will still have room for a snack later if I want it.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I drove past three fast food places on my way home. All of which sounded delicious, but I knew it was because I was tired and hadn't eaten much during the day. I skipped it because I know that I can eat a larger volume of food for fewer calories, with food I already have at home (two eggs and a grilled cheese sandwich: 470 cal, and I'm thinking cereal before bed). I could have fit the McDs in, and wouldn't have felt bad about it, but I had a steak supper last night, and A&W the day before, so I skipped it today. There's nothing wrong with fitting in some of the foods you enjoy. For me, it makes the process more enjoyable, and feels less like I'm suffering on a diet.

I think I've found my target for tomorrow:
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I had Taco Bell yesterday. Nothing wrong with having some fast food in moderation.
  • bluecrush84
    bluecrush84 Posts: 77 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    You can have McDonald's once in a while. Just work it into your calories and try to burn an extra 500-1000 calories. I would go to McDonald's but after I eat a Big Mac, fries and drink, I am still hungry....and that's almost all of my daily calories. So I just make a healthy version of Mickey D's

Instead of a Big Mac I make a
    Turkey/chicken burgers with grilled mushrooms, sliced onions, lettuce, sliced tomato, pickles, 1 slice cheese and a low calorie bun. Ketchup and low calorie mayo...20 calls per tablespoon.

For fries I make baked fries with sweet potatoes or English potatoes and ketch up on the side

Drink...diet coke

This meal could run me 550-650cals verse

McDonald's +1000cals
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I really have a hankering for fries and I'll take the hit and have some (not a large ugh), and cut back on something else that day or make up for it during the week. I discovered CookOut since I moved to NC, that place is delicious evil, so when I do go there, it's a treat not a mainstay (so many tasty carbs).