Weight Loss/Tone with SL 5x5??

Options
Hey guys and gals, noob here so please be gentle! :-)
I have lost 60 pounds on my 2 year journey now, still looking to lose another 6 pounds or so to get to where I want to be. Lost the majority of the weight in the beginning with HIIT sessions and correct diet/calorie intake. A month ago I started the SL 5x5 programme and I am really enjoying it. Was just wondering what other people's experience was with continuing to lose weight with this if eating to your MFP recommended calorie amount? I don't want to get mega muscly, I just want to lose a bit more weight and tone up some what, is SL 5x5 a good programme for that?
Thanks in advance.
Greg

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I've been using SL5x5 for a couple of months and found that eating at, or slightly below, maintenance the program will have you get stronger but not add muscle mass. You need a calorie surplus for that increase in bulk. My only caveat on the program is that it sometimes increases you lifting weight too fast. Don't be worried about repeating a weight or dropping back, deloading, if needed.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit will give you the weight loss
    strong lifts will help you get stronger and retain muscle, so you end up having nicer results when the weight lsos is done.
  • greggyboy77
    greggyboy77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks pondee629
    Yeah the weight increase seems scarily fast at times, have struggled already on overhead press especially.
    Slow and steady wins the race :-)
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I lifted using Stronglifts while initially in a deficit but then at maintenance for 9 months. Weight remained generally the same, but lost fat and improved body composition.
  • greggyboy77
    greggyboy77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Cheers guys. This is what I wanted to hear
  • LP_Std
    LP_Std Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Gregg,
    My daughter and I just started Strong Lifts this week, thanks for posting this. I will send you a friend request if that's OK with you. Perhaps we can keep each other motivated.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Hey guys and gals, noob here so please be gentle! :-)
    I have lost 60 pounds on my 2 year journey now, still looking to lose another 6 pounds or so to get to where I want to be. Lost the majority of the weight in the beginning with HIIT sessions and correct diet/calorie intake. A month ago I started the SL 5x5 programme and I am really enjoying it. Was just wondering what other people's experience was with continuing to lose weight with this if eating to your MFP recommended calorie amount? I don't want to get mega muscly, I just want to lose a bit more weight and tone up some what, is SL 5x5 a good programme for that?
    Thanks in advance.
    Greg

i dont know what toning is...but if you want to lose body fat and maintain muscle then calorie deficit + micro macro adherence + structured lifting program (like stronglifts) is what you need to do.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Amazon has light fractional plates (1.25) which I have come to rely on as I progress. Sometimes that's my max increase for the entire month. Its not realistic to add 5lb per session forever
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Was just wondering what other people's experience was with continuing to lose weight with this if eating to your MFP recommended calorie amount?
    Greg

i started lifting because i was stalled on the last 5 or 10 vanity pounds and just couldn't add any more cardio. i held to the mfp deficit for idk, four or five months of stronglifts, i guess. idk how much muscle i gained, if any at all. i did keep losing weight, subtle things about my 'look' definitely changed. and my weights did sort-of keep increasing . . . but that 5-pounds-per-workout increase flattened out pretty fast.

context though: i'm a woman and was 49 when i started lifting. neither one of those things really leans towars fast muscle growth.