Help Me Learn to Love Running!

Options

Replies

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Pick something else. Really simple. Why torture yourself?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'd love to help, but I loath running...I tried to force the issue for months and was miserable until I discovered my bike. Doing something you actually enjoy is far and away better than trying to force the issue with something you don't enjoy.

IDK, I could be wrong, but it seems to be one of those things that people enjoy or they don't...I know quite a few runners, including my wife and they all enjoyed it pretty much from the get go...not that they didn't struggle...any new exercise is going to be a struggle at first depending on your current fitness level...but everyone I know who is an avid runner has pretty much always enjoyed running.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to love running. Was able to do a 10k without stopping or walking, but I didn't love it. In fact, some people went by on bikes and I wished I'd had the good sense to ride mine. I get thousands of miles on the bike every year, and I enjoy almost all of them. So I just do that instead.

Maybe running isn't your thing, and something else is.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    While running might not be your thing as others have said, it sounds like it could be your thing if you had a different approach and that you want to love it.

Everyone has given you the same advice I'd give you:

Use a good program like C25K or Zombies Run 5K and Slow Down. You should be able to talk to someone else or sing (slightly breathlessly) along to some music.

Don't ever worry about how fast you are going. EVER. Speed comes with time, all you need to worry about is putting some ground under your feet.

One thing I did for a very long time is I stopped tracking my pace because I was so discouraged by it. I just set out to run (after completing C25K) for a certain amount of time. I did that for over a year! It really helped me focus on just enjoying the act of running.
  • cloverdaisy
    cloverdaisy Posts: 64 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    You don't have to love running to run. I hate running but I still do it and even signed up for a half marathon in March.

The hardest part is to start. I dread every time before I run but after my first 3 miles, it doesn't feel as bad any more and you just keep going.

I treat myself with expensive & cute running gears and that helps a lot! :wink:
  • cloverdaisy
    cloverdaisy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Oh and my friend told me that usually they serve beer at the finish of a half marathon. MOTIVATIONS!
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I loved running as a kid, but hated it once I grew up. I was pretty fit, having worked out for 2 months straight before I started running so it wasn't quite as hard, but I was definitely slow.

For me, I liked getting outdoors a lot better than the treadmill. After running outdoors a while, I discovered trail running, which is harder, but I like the smell of the woods, hearing nature, seeing animals, such as bunnies and deer. When I'm not trail running good, fun music that I like is a must.

Take it slow. If you build up your endurance, speed will come. I think I was running 12 minute miles when I started, and I got my fastest 5K in the 7:20 min /mile range.

I now have my 1st marathon in a few weeks and love love love running.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Goal-setting is what has kept me going. I started out only being able to run less than 1/10 of a mile! I hated it and my lungs burned so much. I was determined to get better. Little by little I worked my way up and eventually could do 8 miles. Once you get past a certain point you start to get the "runner's high" and then you become addicted.
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just not your thing. I used to get the bug to run, and I'd train up to about 10k, then just get so bored with it. It's just not my thing. I love speedskating, though. An hour of skating flies by, so I do that instead. Find something you love to do and don't waste time with things you dont.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    A great playlist is a big help. I went from hating running to finishing a half marathon last year with the help of some seriously dirty rap.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I have found three stages to a run.

Stage One, the first mile- OMG! WTF am I doing to myself!! This is horrible, why oh why?

Stage Two, After the first mile; Hey this is kinda neat, I'm feeling pretty good, I can do this. I have found my stride.

Stage Three, Just before and right after the attempted mileage is completed, OK, I'm feeling real good, that was fun. What do you mean I shouldn't run on back to back days? Can't wait to get back out.

Sad part is a lot of people don't get past stage One.

Start slow, get past stage One, see what happens. Maybe you won't like running. Maybe you will. I understand that not everyone does. If not, you'll find something else.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Oh and my friend told me that usually they serve beer at the finish of a half marathon. MOTIVATIONS!

Check the details for the specific race you're planning to run -- I've run all sorts of races of all different lengths. Some do serve beer, many others don't. If beer is your motivation, you'll want a race that has that specific perk.
  • Naruya
    Naruya Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Another vouch for the Zombies Run 5K app, it's awesome. I was in the same position you are in last year, maybe even worse. I couldn't even run for a few minutes at the time without feeling like I'd collapse - my heart rate was through the roof and I was so out of breath I couldn't take it. But the Zombies Run 5K app helped me run a full 5k at the end of it. It wasn't easy, especially at the beginning, but it was VERY rewarding and seeing how far you've come is amazing.

And after you've finished the 5K app you can switch to the main app and run your heart out while listening to the amazing story.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I hope all of this wonderful advice is helpful! I have always wanted to love running, tried to love running, and now finally accept that I'm always going to hate it. I still do run, and I'm getting better at it, but I just do not like it. I do CrossFit, so runs are only a small part of the workout most days.
  • tobandit
    tobandit Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yep...it sucks when you start. It does get better if you can stick with it. I always run alone, so sometimes I'll sing under my breath to check my breathing.

I echo everyone else when they say go slow. I started running early August 2016 (I'm 5'6" and was 202), I had signed up to run a 5K on October 16th and I ran almost all of it. I was running 3 to 5 days a week.

It was November before I loved it (still 5'6" but down to about 178 by that time). I think I started loving running more as I lost weight. I also find that it has leaned me out, helped back pain and strengthened my core.

The other advantage of going slow...it reduces the chance of injury. (which is my story - I'm on a break due to a sore knee. Its taking so long to heal).

Anyway, good luck! You can do this!
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I just finished my second marathon a few weeks ago, and you know what? I hate running! lol. Seriously, I'd rather sit on the couch and watch really bad reality TV and eat ice cream. Unfortunately that isn't very healthy and when I was basically doing that I found for some odd reason my gut was getting huge. Weird! So I run.

Running is just the best worst exercise for me. And while I don't love running, I do love setting a running goal and working hard toward that goal and the feeling once I accomplish that goal. I love being able to eat and not worrying too much about what it'll do to my boyish figure. I love that I'm staying healthy for my kids so that visits with me when they're adults, hopefully, won't be at a hospital because of some health issue I could have prevented with some exercise. But the actual act of running? Ugh!
  • emmarrgh
    emmarrgh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    breathe. I had to figure out how to breathe to make it more comfortable. I have to take in a lot of air and do big deep breaths every now and then in the beginning, almost like a sigh or a yawn, in between my regular breathing. And then I have to breathe in for a few steps and breathe out for a few, like a pattern.

Once I figured that out I found I could actually enjoy the day, the trail, the scenery, and not just count the minutes until I was back home lol. Running different paths every day helped too, so I wasn't looking at the same ol' trees, mailboxes and fire hydrants every time.
  • aki619
    aki619 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    An update for anybody who is interested... I got the Zombies Run app, and I think it is really fun. I have only gone on 3 runs so far, as a great piece of advice was to not run daily, but I ran for the whole time, each time. After reading about the importance of starting slow, I was much less worried about how far I was getting in a certain amount of time, and just went ahead and did it. My body is getting used to the feeling, so I have had some increased joint pain, but nothing that I can't handle. In my original post I had mentioned that I signed up for a 5K, but was pretty sure I wouldn't end up doing it, but I'm definitely going to do it. Oh, and there's beer at the end of this one. ;)
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    aki619 wrote: »
    An update for anybody who is interested... I got the Zombies Run app, and I think it is really fun. I have only gone on 3 runs so far, as a great piece of advice was to not run daily, but I ran for the whole time, each time. After reading about the importance of starting slow, I was much less worried about how far I was getting in a certain amount of time, and just went ahead and did it. My body is getting used to the feeling, so I have had some increased joint pain, but nothing that I can't handle. In my original post I had mentioned that I signed up for a 5K, but was pretty sure I wouldn't end up doing it, but I'm definitely going to do it. Oh, and there's beer at the end of this one. ;)

This made my day. You go girl!

....and don't let the zombies bite! ;)
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Getting started running for me after a long break is torture, so I understand. Loads of good advice here!

I always start out focusing on time and adding a little each time (maybe 10 seconds, maybe a minute) and not worrying about distance or pace. That'll come later. Most people I know swear by walk/run schemes that decrease walking time progressively. I personally can't stand it. So I just walk a bit, then run (increasing my time each time out) until I hit about 30 minutes. Then I focus on increasing distance (maybe 0.1 miles each time). Once I'm comfortable with 3 ish miles, I work up to increasing my pace.

So moral is what works for others may frustrate the heck out of you, so play with different plans and see what you respond to best, mentally and physically.