What are your favorite diet subsitutes?

Options
LAYLAH17
LAYLAH17 Posts: 170 Member
Well, I'm working it. Tonight I decided to eat a sweet potato instead of white potato and let me tell you it was quite fulfilling and nice.
So. what do you substitue your favs for...Here are mine so far:

1. Sweet potato instead of white potato
2. Dark choclate instead of milk choclate
3. Yogurt instead of sourcream
4. Applesauce (baking only)
5. Pita pockets for sandwich bread (just thought of this one0

Replies

• sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Bump great topic!
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    chopped cauliflower instead of sushi rice in my sushi. It's a pain to work with and isn't the same but still good and I can eat so much more of it at a fraction of the calories.
  • VeroM1234
    VeroM1234 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I replace pizza dough with egg whites.

I do only omelets with egg whites

Pancakes with egg whites

Anything with egg whites lol
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Mashed Cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes!! I still eat mashed potatoes once in a blue moon but substitute cauliflower more often. Yummmyyyyyy!!!
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I steam cauliflower & add a tad of butter & use the beaters on it until its “mashed potatoes.”
  • LAYLAH17
    Options
    Cauliflower pizza crust. Haven't tried it but heard of it. Sounds yummy.
  • lmtrevin
    lmtrevin Posts: 18
    Options
    Avocado instead of Mayo on sandwiches
  • rgprn
    rgprn Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I like to cut up my sweet potatoes and bake them in the oven w/a small amount of
    honey drizzled over top! They are delicious, healthy and even when they get cold
    it kind of satisfies my sweet taste!
  • janisjoplin1
    janisjoplin1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    In order to cut bad calories and sugar, use brown rice instead of white and try breads made with wheat flour or oat flour, enjoy!
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Those Quaker mini rice cakes: especially in Cheddar (amazing!), Chocolate, Apple Cinnamon, and Caramel.
    They are great instead of chips or anything crunchy.
  • kate_newlifestyle
    Options
    Mayonnaise/spreads/dips - hummus. Delicious, not TOO high in calories (in moderation), good for you
    flavored yogurt - plain greek yogurt with fruits, cinnamon, vanilla
    Light Pancake Syrup - blue agave nectar
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    brown or wild rice instead of white rice
    cous cous or quinoa instead of pasta
    almond milk instead of skim milk in my cheap brand coffee (good stuff goes black)

I'm never giving up my russet potatoes though... so much potassium... more potassium, more protein, and less sugar than sweet (although I do like sweet potatoes too)
  • LAYLAH17
    Options
    I like my salads so:
    I replace croutons with walnuts or raisins
  • _Jessica_
    _Jessica_ Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    baking I replace eggs with flax meal/water... less cals, and adds fiber
    Baking I also use applesuace or mashed bananas inplace of oil
    Brats I eat bistro sensations chicken brats instead of beer brats... YUMMMO! (also use the new brat thin buns!)
    Sandwhiches I use a hamburger thin or wheat pita or low carb wrap
    Dips I use plain greek yogurt inplace of sour cream
    I ALWAYS eat my protien, then vegies, then carbs when eating a meal... that way if you get full, then you are only wasting or skipping the carbs and not the protien and vegies!
  • azingale
    azingale Posts: 74
    Options
    I like to cut up my sweet potatoes and bake them in the oven w/a small amount of
    honey drizzled over top! They are delicious, healthy and even when they get cold
    it kind of satisfies my sweet taste!

I just microwave mine... but in addition to sometimes adding honey, I'll also dust it with a little baking spice - like the generic 5 spice blend you get for making pumpkin pie. Then it feels like something sinful, but actually, sweet potatoes are terrific for you.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    Carob instead of chocolate. My bulk store has carob coated raisins...YUM.
  • LAYLAH17
    Options
    Carob instead of chocolate. My bulk store has carob coated raisins...YUM.

Never heard of Carob. Where would you get from and how do you eat it. I googled it. looks like peas,LOL
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    Never heard of Carob. Where would you get from and how do you eat it. I googled it. looks like peas,LOL

I get it at our bulk food store. It comes as a powder-looks like cocoa powder, that's for baking. Basically anything that calls for cocoa powder can be replaced by it. It's a little sweeter than cocoa.
    We don't carry the kernels here, so I don't know what to do with those.
    The carob raisins look like chocolate covered raisins. I haven't found how to do them myself-that would make me very happy.
    Carob is popular with the vegans (which I am not), so vegan websites will have a lot of recipes.