Looking for other weight lifters/bodybuilders

Options
cobaltis
cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
Looking to add some friends who enjoy and realise the benefit of the free weight section of the gym. Those who strive to break Personal Records every trip to the gym.

Both experienced and new, I am always happy to share what I know, add me as a friend.

Replies

• cjstrong
    cjstrong Posts: 54
    Options
    In.

A lot of broscience being pushed all over these forums. You post on bb.com?
    Cutting until the end of october then lovely winter bulk. At least thats the idea
  • cobaltis
    Options
    Yea im on there by the same name. I stick to more of the training logs to avoid the broscience and follow a few of my inspirational friends :)
  • cjstrong
    Options
    Yea im on there by the same name. I stick to more of the training logs to avoid the broscience and follow a few of my inspirational friends :)

Im usually there for the workouts and the losing weight quickly section. Your progress looks great. Ive come down 70lbs but have been stuck for the longest time. Counting cals here now. Gluck
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Looking to add some friends who enjoy and realise the benefit of the free weight section of the gym. Those who strive to break Personal Records every trip to the gym.

Both experienced and new, I am always happy to share what I know, add me as a friend.

Count me in.
  • cjstrong
    Options
    I found a problem with the strength training database where you input your exercises... there arent any! Theres a few but for example if you search for bench press, no results. Kinda sucks
  • cobaltis
    Options
    I found a problem with the strength training database where you input your exercises... there arent any! Theres a few but for example if you search for bench press, no results. Kinda sucks

Do you mean on this site? I dont use it, I have a log on bodybuilding that I track my workouts. Their site also has progress tracking for core lifts.
  • cjstrong
    Options
    yeah here, i never use my body space, i probably should
  • karrenbennett
    Options
    Well, I guess I'm the only woman that's replied so far! I'm into weight lifting. I just recently started 5X5s. :) I am proud to say I now have weights on that heavy Olympic bar! To me it is heavy because I'm only 4'10" tall. I find it difficult to talk weight lifting with friends and family because they don't understand the lingo and issues that come up when lifting. Most of the time I get responses like "women are not suppose to be strong" or "you'll too big" (that's the idea!) OR (my favorite!) "You'll hurt yourself!".

Anyway... I don't know if you are familiar with 5x5. It is basically a core strengthening program in which you workout 3 x per week and each week you increase weights by 5 pounds. This program is designed to build strength and power. I don't do isolation exercises.. just free standing squats, Brench Press, Overhead Pres, Barbell Row and deadlifts.

I have an excel spreadsheet where I keep track of my training program... not on MFP.

My biggest issue is eating enough to sustain and encourage muscle growth. It just goes against all the propaganda I've been told all my life. And.. you know... since I'm female... I love those cookies!

Anyway... if you want a female weight lifter's advice... count me in. Most of my stuff is 'hit or miss'. I try something for a while, if that doesn't work I move on to something else.

Cheers!
  • cjstrong
    Options
    Hi Karren

5x5 is king. Great routine I wish more ladies would get on it instead of doing high reps at low weight. I think its because of the points you posted above about 'getting hurt' or 'getting big'

Sounds like you can push some heavy weight!
  • cobaltis
    Options
    Well, I guess I'm the only woman that's replied so far! I'm into weight lifting. I just recently started 5X5s. :) I am proud to say I now have weights on that heavy Olympic bar! To me it is heavy because I'm only 4'10" tall. I find it difficult to talk weight lifting with friends and family because they don't understand the lingo and issues that come up when lifting. Most of the time I get responses like "women are not suppose to be strong" or "you'll too big" (that's the idea!) OR (my favorite!) "You'll hurt yourself!".

Anyway... I don't know if you are familiar with 5x5. It is basically a core strengthening program in which you workout 3 x per week and each week you increase weights by 5 pounds. This program is designed to build strength and power. I don't do isolation exercises.. just free standing squats, Brench Press, Overhead Pres, Barbell Row and deadlifts.

I have an excel spreadsheet where I keep track of my training program... not on MFP.

My biggest issue is eating enough to sustain and encourage muscle growth. It just goes against all the propaganda I've been told all my life. And.. you know... since I'm female... I love those cookies!

Anyway... if you want a female weight lifter's advice... count me in. Most of my stuff is 'hit or miss'. I try something for a while, if that doesn't work I move on to something else.

Cheers!

I hear great things about 5x5! I am glad to hear more women are finding that heavy weights wont make them beastly.
  • hyenagirl
    hyenagirl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Me! I started lifting weights/strength training a few weeks ago and I'm totally hooked. Haven't lost any weight since I've been doing that, but I consider that a good thing as I might be building muscle. I think the benefits of doing it are enormous. I read a study about fast-twitch muscles and aging and it motivated me to try it out. I mean, i'm a hyena girl, so I'm suppose to be pretty muscled and intimidate the males, not a soft pillow like I once was. My goal is to get some muscles going on, especially big quads, calvs and hammys (as I find those attractive), and bigger arms. I want to bench press my boyfriend, haha.
  • karrenbennett
    Options
    5x5s are awesome! I actually got into it because I'm a runner.... a very slow runner. I'm hoping the explosive power that comes with weightlifting will translate into faster marathon speeds.

There are times when I'm not losing weight but I notice that my muscles (thighs, biceps, etc) are getting bigger. I try not to worry too much about my weight loss as long as I'm improving in strength and reducing my body fat. That is really difficult because of the government BMI recommendations. Muscles can really skew those numbers.

This may be a little TMI for guys but... I'm in the midst of menopause and weightlifting is the best thing to combat the symptoms! I wish there PSAs (public service announcements) about how the benefits of weight lifting for women of all ages. Try to do away with those myths about "women getting to big or deformed" ....that is unless you want that... in which I do!
  • cjstrong
    Options
    I wish everyone else understood this too!
    There are times when I'm not losing weight but I notice that my muscles (thighs, biceps, etc) are getting bigger. I try not to worry too much about my weight loss as long as I'm improving in strength and reducing my body fat. That is really difficult because of the government BMI recommendations. Muscles can really skew those numbers.
  • cobaltis
    Options
    Me! I started lifting weights/strength training a few weeks ago and I'm totally hooked. Haven't lost any weight since I've been doing that, but I consider that a good thing as I might be building muscle. I think the benefits of doing it are enormous. I read a study about fast-twitch muscles and aging and it motivated me to try it out. I mean, i'm a hyena girl, so I'm suppose to be pretty muscled and intimidate the males, not a soft pillow like I once was. My goal is to get some muscles going on, especially big quads, calvs and hammys (as I find those attractive), and bigger arms. I want to bench press my boyfriend, haha.

That is awesome! Just remember you will never gain muscle at a rate of more than .5 lbs a week (as natural body builders rarely but on more than 50 lbm of muscle in a lifetime, and half that in the first few years assuming adequate protein and strong and consistant training throughout) The extra is from increased storage of glycogen and water for energy and repair. With this attitude though you can do anything good luck!
  • cobaltis
    Options
    5x5s are awesome! I actually got into it because I'm a runner.... a very slow runner. I'm hoping the explosive power that comes with weightlifting will translate into faster marathon speeds.

This may be a little TMI for guys but... I'm in the midst of menopause and weightlifting is the best thing to combat the symptoms! I wish there PSAs (public service announcements) about how the benefits of weight lifting for women of all ages. Try to do away with those myths about "women getting to big or deformed" ....that is unless you want that... in which I do!

It is awesome to hear this, many dont realise that women lack the testosterone to get "bulky" but can build strength from lifting weights which will increase size some but definition primarily comes from getting leaner which muscles help with.

On a seperate note muscle at rest burns no more calories but the bigger the muscles every bit of activity you do burns more. Women who realise this can get leaner easier and maintain it easier.

As far as 5x5, since im cutting I am not trying to focuss on strength gains in that rigid of a manner. I am focussing on pushing all muscles to failure and I have been trying out different routines as well as perfecting my diet for ease of lifetime continuation.

IIFYM and IF have saved me...

when I get to below 10% body fat I plan to do a long clean bulk and I might try the 5x5 program.

My fiance has decided to switch to weight lifting after she finishes her training this year, she is doing a full ironman in November but realises she wont get the figure she wants through the cardio alone, even to such an extreme. (she runs/bikes/swims ~20 hours a week)

And BMI is definately useless, im obese still I think... lol
  • aprilshowers13
    Options
    Me!!! I've been following a lifting program for almost a year now and I love the results. I started with New Rules of Lifting for Women and one stage of the original NROL. Now I feel I'm ready to pick my own lifts and go from there. Starting Westside for Skinny *kitten* next week.

Edit to add: Feel free to add me :)
  • aprilshowers13
    Options
    In.

A lot of broscience being pushed all over these forums. You post on bb.com?
    Cutting until the end of october then lovely winter bulk. At least thats the idea

If I can get down and maintain a certain size, I'll be bulking with you.

Alot of misinformed people here and bb.com.
  • cobaltis
    Options
    Its true and knowledge is power, those who wish to succeed will seek out the knowledge for themselves and sort through the BS. The most reliable source of info for me has been Alan Aragon as he forms his opinions for studies of the research and constantly critiques all of the new studies.
  • suprfast
    suprfast Posts: 49
    Options
    Im a lifter.
    Too much crap on bb.com I frequent other forums.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options

5x5s are great for improving running speed. I PR'd a 10K on 6/19 running 8:51/mile pace, then after starting 5x5's and did it for 3 weeks, I PR'd an 8k on 7/10 running 8:28/mile pace. My fastest mile on the 10K was only 8:34 and I blew that away on the 8K! I can't wait to see how it will translate to when I run the marathon in December.