How early do you get up to exercise?

Options
Hi guys.
I'm wondering when you stand up to go to the gym. I restarted going and want to do some classes before work. The way the gym schedule is set up in combination with my trains I would have to stand up at 5am to get to the class at 7am. I am trying to convince myself that I can do that and that i would be good because i dont loose time. When do you stand up? How do you do it?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I mostly workout at home. I get up at 4:45. I eat breakfast and have coffee beforehand, with the goal of starting my workout at 5:30.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm generally not an AM workout guy save for summer riding when I'm up at 5 and on my bike by 5:15.
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I get up a 5 AM. Drink my coffee, wake up a little bit, watch the news/weather, pack my breakfast/lunch/snacks. Leave the house at 6 AM. Drive the 30 minutes to my gym - which is also a little over a half mile from my office. Workout, shower. To work by 8:30 AM.
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    5 am is when I get up and head to the gym. I've been doing that for 2 years now. It was hard for the first couple of months but I love it now.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    When I had to go to the gym to work out, I was up at 4am every morning. Now I have a home gym so I can choose morning or night. If I choose mornings, I get up at 4:30am to be out the door for work by 6:30.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Alarm goes off at 4 am. Get dressed, make coffee, feed dogs and take them outside. Approx 4:45am take the 10 second commute to basement to lift or run on the treadmill (run outside weather permitting). Done by 6 or 6:15 and hit the shower to get ready for work. Get kids up at seven, feed all of us a little breakfast and out the door by 7:45.

Sounds horrible, I know. But I didn't go from rolling out of bed at 7 to this overnight. It was a gradual process over a couple years and works well for me now. The best part is that there is rarely a scheduling conflict! Never once has someone asked me to see a movie, or help them move or go out to eat at 4 am. Getting to bed by 8:30 can be a little tricky, though.
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Up at 430. Out the door at 450. Workout from 5 to 6, then back home to get ready for work. 3x/week. For much of the year, I add 2 days/week of speedskating from 5-6 am.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 5:30 to be at the gym by 6 (fortunately, it's close). I run after work in the winter, or at sunrise in the summer. Fortunately, my work schedule is flexible enough that I have some choice about when I run.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Up at 5am, like to be in the gym by 5.30am, shower then home to sort out breakfast and get my daughter to college by 8-8.15am.

Summer will be different as I'll be getting up at 5am to hit the road on my bike for 2-3 hours. Love early morning rides, but it's just too dark and dangerous in the winter.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Up at 5:45 and at gym (my garage) by 6. Great way to start the day!
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 4:40am. Working out by 4:50am. The first two weeks? I had my friend call me to get me out of bed. No joke... now? I don't even think about it
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    5:30am. I wake up. Have some tea. Read the news. Aim to be on the road either walking or running by 6:30am. My strength workouts are at noon.
    I've been working out around 630am for 20+ years.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Between 3am and 6am. It depends on how early I get in bed. I exercise outdoors and in my living space though. I just make sure I get enough sleep to function. It also helps to move more purposefully than usual to wake up. For example, if I'm drowsy, I'll walk around as I brush my teeth. It gets easier over time.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Up at 5:30 2-3 times a week to do a Classical Stretch workout in front of my TV. I like the workout because it's not sweaty so I don't have to shower afterwards, makes me feel relaxed and energized and centered for the day. Also don't have to travel to gym so it saves time and $$$.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    For my longish week day runs (7-10 miles) I'm up between 0350 and 0415
  • lfcjohn
    lfcjohn Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I tried to get up early for running before work at 6am but tried few times it's too difficult for me (as slept usually after 12am). :neutral:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have scheduled my exercise time for 11 AM- not going to a gym.
  • S3r3knitty
    S3r3knitty Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am amazed that some stand up so early to excercise at home. Somehow that sounds even more difficult. I don't know if I would have the willpower for it. The bed would be too alluring :D.
    I'll try to stand up tomorrow at 5am for the first time. Wish me luck. It's just a 30mins workout at the gym but I decided I'll go to the sauna afterwards as a reward.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I work out at home, and in the evening.