Women with PCOS help

Options
I'm feeling very discouraged. If you have pcos then you know the struggle with having to work twice as hard than others to lose weight and keep it off. I just need support to keep going.

Replies

• annabee88
    annabee88 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Me too!
  • AlizaE502
    AlizaE502 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Same here!!! It can be discouraging at times!
  • cowsanddogsarecute
    cowsanddogsarecute Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    You can add me!
  • t1nk88
    t1nk88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Me too. I've been diagnosed with severe pcos would love to speak with others who suffer this too and the awful side effects. Weight loss is so tough
  • SarahKate2710
    SarahKate2710 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    While I may not have PCOS anymore, I was diagnosed at age 15 and lost a large amount of weight (in a very unhealthy way and developed an eating disorder) in my early 20s and it went away. I know the struggles that come along with it.
  • NatashiaGonzalez
    Options
    I have PCOS and it's so hard to lose weight!!!!!! I can just breathe and gain weight haha! I'm on a mission to lose weight! I've been trying to get pregnant for over a year and a half and before trying fertility meds I want to be in decent shape to help viability. I'm losing slowllllyyyyyy less then a pound a week, but I will take it. I find strength training has really helped and it's more fun in my opinion than straight cardio. I even have had more regular periods lately.
  • TheBrocheter
    TheBrocheter Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, you can always add me if you need a motivating buddy.
  • Nicole_M4
    Nicole_M4 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm here with pcos! The struggle is real ❤ all can add me
  • MandyxSchmitz
    MandyxSchmitz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I was diagnosed with PCOS 17 years ago.. been struggling with my weight my entire life. Losing it is sooo difficult!
  • HaleCry
    HaleCry Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Add me! I have PCOS and hypothyroidism. I tried low carb a few years ago and found it very difficult to keep at it so I gave up. I just calorie count now and I'm down 37lbs so far with about 20 to go :smiley:
  • Lauzzii1
    Lauzzii1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    CaraGrap wrote: »
    I'm feeling very discouraged. If you have pcos then you know the struggle with having to work twice as hard than others to lose weight and keep it off. I just need support to keep going.

I know the struggle to well since I was 15 :( will add you
  • Lauzzii1
    Lauzzii1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    t1nk88 wrote: »
    Me too. I've been diagnosed with severe pcos would love to speak with others who suffer this too and the awful side effects. Weight loss is so tough

Mine is severe to :( have added you hun
  • leilaroba
    leilaroba Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! :smile: The struggle is so real. It's hard to keep up with PCOS friendly health habits. :neutral:
  • nlkratzner
    nlkratzner Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Same here. If you want an accountability or motivational buddy just add me. I have lost 70lbs so far. And have a lot more to go. But I get the struggle.
  • mcs10282017
    mcs10282017 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Cyster here. Does anyone else want to rip their hair out the week before their period bc maintaining a healthy diet feels impossible? Does anyone take contraceptives to treat their PCOS? If so, how do you feel it had helped PMS food cravings if at all? Please add me, I need support
  • Krista_Knits52
    Krista_Knits52 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Same here ladies. I've struggled with my weight for most of my life. Lost a lot before I met my husband then got married and complacent and gained it all back and then some. Determined to lose it again. Feel free to add me.
  • lilacs510
    lilacs510 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have it to and am having a hard time getting weight off! I just had my second baby (fertility meds =great success for me)! I would love some accountability friends who also have pcos!!
  • malpurple45
    malpurple45 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've only been diagnosed for a year, so i'm still learning. It is so hard to be working out with friends and they're reporting weight loss and then me.... I'm a busy dietetics student and would love some encouragement amd advice!!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I copied this into a note that I could reuse because there are so many PCOS threads, so my apologies if you've seen it before.

I've had PCOS for 25 years, but only figured out how to handle it last year. Short version of what works for me:

1. Set to 1.5 lbs/week.
    2. 150g carbs or fewer.
    4. 45 min of sweaty exercise, 6 days a week. Yoga and leisurely walks aren't enough. If you can't do 45 minutes all at once, just catch your breath and start again when you're ready, until you’ve reached the time.

Insulin is an issue, so lowish carb and heavy exercise are key. They also help with satiety, blood glucose levels, and earning enough extra calories to stay sane. It can also drive down testosterone levels, which helps reduce some of the less pleasant symptoms.

I started at 248 and am now at 208.