Yoga question...

I went about 3 weeks 2 times a week and I enjoyed it enough I felt like it was good for my joints (I'm old), however my instructor seemed to say the same thing and practically do the same routine every time.

Is this normal?

I can get behind the same routine but it seemed as if she had a script memorized and that got old fast. I live in a remote area so there are no other instructors that I can find that aren't 30-45 min away.

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    I suppose it depends on the studio you go to, but that's not normal as far as I'm concerned. I used to practice yoga 4 times/week and always with the same teacher. Every class was a different routine, despite some similarities from week to week.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,519 Member
    Based on my experience in classes and with yoga vidoes, it is fairly repetitive. It's not going to be something completely different each time.

It's like there are, let's say, 24 poses, and in each class the instructor will select 18 of them. So there might be some variation, but chances are you'll be doing much the same each time.
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    thats pretty common. Yoga is done usually in specific sequences so if you went to birkrim yoga it would be the same poses everytime at any studio. Some gyms which arent so specific to the traditional sequences just use poses and make up their own routines which are why some gym may switch it up sometimes. You may enjoy following a video program there are lots of 30day programs on youtube where youd get a different sequence every video because youre building to a goal and not actually practicing the flows.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Ok thanks.

I'm ok with the same poses but she seems to SAY the same things with virtually no variation. It was oddly demotivating.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited January 2017
    I suppose it depends on the studio you go to, but that's not normal as far as I'm concerned. I used to practice yoga 4 times/week and always with the same teacher. Every class was a different routine, despite some similarities from week to week.

ETA: Each class I went to would start with sun salutations and end with shavasana, but the "meat" of the class would vary from day to day. For example, some days we'd do more hip openers, other days we'd do more warrior pose variations than usual, etc. (Oops, meant to edit my original comment, not reply to myself ;) )
  • catgerm
    catgerm Posts: 44 Member
    I would find another class. I'm finding it's a little difficult finding a good teacher...
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    I love the online yoga stuff. No driving to the gym, getting there early to get your mat down in a good spot and driving home - which adds an easy 45 mins for me. I have kids at home, so catching the 5 pm class and getting home at 6:30 doesn't fly.

I get the kids in bed, I get ready for bed in sweats, walk down stairs, load the youtube yoga things I want to do, do it and walk away. There is so much out there, I can pick what I want when I want to do it. Sometimes my wife joins me and can spend some time together working out, which is nice. I've had good luck with "yoga with adrienne." Having done yoga off and on since 2011, I don't feel like there is a real advantage a jam packed class has over online yoga.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I went about 3 weeks 2 times a week and I enjoyed it enough I felt like it was good for my joints (I'm old), however my instructor seemed to say the same thing and practically do the same routine every time.

Is this normal?

I can get behind the same routine but it seemed as if she had a script memorized and that got old fast. I live in a remote area so there are no other instructors that I can find that aren't 30-45 min away.

Were going to a yoga studio? Or something like the Y or a senior center?

In my experience, YMCA yoga instructors tend to be pretty repetitive.

If you're doing Ashtanga, then a set routine makes sense....

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-8622/14-styles-of-yoga-explained-simply.html

but even then, I'd assume the teacher might say different things.

My own instructor is very varied. And offers an intense, strength building workout. I do also attend some Yin classes, and some restorative and flow classes.