cardiovascular endurance

Options
I am a gym re-starter who has started gymming just last week.

I see other new gym-goers posting every other day "45 minutes on the elliptical machine followed by weight training" or burned "2100 calories doing exercises".

Here I am, huffing and puffing after 15 minutes of HIIT on the crosstrainer and not able to move my arms after working on biceps. Do you think my endurance is too low? Should I step it up? and how? How many calories are typically burnt by doing HIIT for a person of my stats (F,28, 87kg/190-is lbs). Can you suggest a better routine? Any tips are welcome.

not sure if the title is really reflective of my question but could not think of anything better.

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I would be flabbergasted if there was anyone who was performing 45 mins of HIIT (45 mins of interval work maybe, HIIT - highly unlikely).

So, their 45 mins is likely to be steady state cardio which, although challenging, may not be as intense as your 15 mins HIT session.

nehaad88 wrote: »
    Do you think my endurance is too low? Should I step it up? and how?

HIIT doesn't really test for or train endurance. It's a good way to pack "a lot" of exercise into a short time. If you want to improve endurance there is really nothing better than taking it slower and steady and working for longer. Personally, I wouldn't do that at the complete expense of the HIIT work but rather as a complement to it.

That said, if your goals are something other than being good at an endurance sport, event, or pastime (such as distance running) then you don't need to worry about endurance much (my opinion is that there are other fitness improvements that would take a higher priority for overall health).
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If truly looking to build cardiovascular endurance, it takes time (8 to 10 weeks), consistent training, and long sessions on the treadmill. I do 2+ hr sessions. Also, and most importantly, you need to slow down, keeping your hesrt rate around 125 bpm. Start small 10-15 mins and walk if you have to, but watch your hr. There's nothing sexy about jogging for 20 mins at a 14.5 min/MI pace, but it is the correct way to build your aerobic endurance.

I would argue a strong aerobic base brings a lot of fitness benefits, eg ability to clear lactate and reduce acidosis in other parts of the body or when you do get to HIIT you can go stronger and longer. Unfortunately it takes time to build, time to maintain and it isn't sexy so few put in work for it if they're going purely for aesthics. Which is fine, we all have different goals.
  • kuchaja
    kuchaja Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you have pretty high expectations after just one week! If you are out of breath after 15 minutes and so sore you can't move after lifting weights, you are pushing too hard; you risk getting discouraged and setting yourself up to fail. Start slower and lighter, aim to make very slight progress every week, and try to have a little fun.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    First thing I would say, don't concern what other people do. Concentrate on your level of training. If 15mins is too much then no need to push yourself unless you want to be pushed out in an ambulance chair. If you do as you are, few times a week in few weeks that will seem like a walk in the park. Ease into training.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Pretty much ignore what other people do/post. Most of the calorie burns are highly over estimated.
    If you are wiped out from what you are already doing...how is "Stepping it up" possible? Be patient. Hopefully you are doing some full body strength training in your overall workout program. (that won't specifically help endurance, but should be included)
    As for improving your endurance, it's just going to take time. Some days you can do intervals and work at a higher intensity, other days keeps a slower pace for a longer time period.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    The people that are posting that they did 45 mins of HIIT were not able to do that amount at the beginning. They probably started with 5-10 minutes and then worked their way up. You're building muscle and endurance... it doesn't happen overnight. You start with 5-10 minutes 2-3 times a week. Next week, try to add 5 minutes to your cardio, 5 minutes more the week after, and so on.

I am also a gym re-starter, and am working with a trainer to ensure that my lifting form is correct. Our favorite phrase is "Baby steps". Yes, I used to be able to bench 240 lbs (when I was MUCH younger). Can I now? No way, nor would I try. Last night I did 15 reps with 60 lbs. I probably could have done 70 or 80 lbs, but I'm waking up my muscle memory, and I'm not going to injure myself. I'm in it for the long haul.
  • gustafgirl
    gustafgirl Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I agree with the going consensus. Slow and steady wins the race, after all you want this to be about being healthy for life. Good things will come when you are diligent and stick with it. If you push too hard too fast, not only will you likely injure yourself (which would and could be a complete setback) but you risk discouragement. The only one you need to compare yourself to, is YOU. It has taken me too long to figure that out!
    Even baby steps are still steps forward in the right direction!!
    Be proud of yourself for going after it and celebrate the small victories
  • boothekm1
    boothekm1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I started HIIT Elliptical training 3 weeks ago. 20 minute session with 10 intervals...just after 3 weeks 3 times a week it's gotten easier. You just have to start out slow and steady and build from there. It takes a lot of patience!!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Here I am, huffing and puffing after 15 minutes of HIIT on the crosstrainer

HIIT is excellent for building aerobic capacity. Most programs, like those programs on equipment do a different variation of HIIT compared to the compact 10-15 routines you find in most sports med programs. So it makes sense you kinda washed out at about 15 minutes. That is the idea. You are doing it right.

My HIIT is simple. I do 15 second bleacher sprints with 30-45 second breaks between each sprint. I do 10 sets. By half way I am gasping and trying to talk myself into a minute break!. But pushing max VO2 is key. I also only do HIIT twice a week.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

I see other new gym-goers posting every other day "45 minutes on the elliptical machine followed by weight training" or burned "2100 calories doing exercises".

Here I am, huffing and puffing after 15 minutes of HIIT on the crosstrainer and not able to move my arms after working on biceps. Do you think my endurance is too low? Should I step it up? and how? How many calories are typically burnt by doing HIIT for a person of my stats (F,28, 87kg/190-is lbs). Can you suggest a better routine? Any tips are welcome.

not sure if the title is really reflective of my question but could not think of anything better.

Nobody is burning 2100 calories with 45 minutes of elliptical and some weight training afterwards...they're fooling themselves.

Cardiovascular fitness takes time to develop.

Also, if they're saying they do 45 minutes of HIIT...it's probably not actually HIIT...HIIT has become some generic term for any kind of interval work.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Patience. Also, HIIT and endurance are really different things. HIIT done properly will not be something you can do for 45 minutes. Endurance is doing 45 minutes at a steady pace.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    If you want to build cardiovascular endurance, stop wasting your time with HIIT.
  • ronocnikral
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »

HIIT is excellent for building aerobic capacity. Most programs, like those programs on equipment do a different variation of HIIT compared to the compact 10-15 routines you find in most sports med programs. So it makes sense you kinda washed out at about 15 minutes. That is the idea. You are doing it right.

My HIIT is simple. I do 15 second bleacher sprints with 30-45 second breaks between each sprint. I do 10 sets. By half way I am gasping and trying to talk myself into a minute break!. But pushing max VO2 is key. I also only do HIIT twice a week.

False. HIIT is excellent for building anaerobic capacity and diminishing aerobic capacity (for those who truly have a large aerobic base). People call HIIT different things, but if one is interested in growing their aerobic capacity, they should spend the time doing low intensity, long duration work.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    There are 3 main components of fitness: strength, muscular endurance, and cardiovascular (aerobic) endurance. In addition, flexibility and balance are important for overall health and well being. Most of us are not happy about where we're at with any of these areas (meaning we always want to be better) and each is improved in small steps that take time. Many people emphasize one area over the others, so you just have to make choices what you want to focus on at any given time, or focus on all of them but realize it will take longer to see significant progress. I'm talking about months and years, not days or weeks. However, if you plan your workouts right, you will see SMALL improvements week to week, certainly every few weeks. But you're not going to go from 15 min to 45 min of hard work instantly.
    I am not a trainer, just someone trying to get better and sharing what I've learned along the way. Certainly someone can find an exception to everything I've said based on their personal experience, so please don't even bother. :wink:

"The workout that seems impossible today will be your future warmup."

PS-Don't believe everything you read in people's logs. Everyone interprets and reports their exercise differently.
  • traadmill
    traadmill Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If possible try swimming, slow and steady and work up to the high intensity things, it's about conditioning not marathoning...try to swim laps, at your own pace, for a while a couple weeks or so, that conditions total body and great for heart and lungs...I even use a paddle board because I'm not a great swimmer and get freaky in the deep, but I'm learning and my confidence is building. I also started taking the water exercise classes. After a bit then try those other high intensity classes, your young, I'm in my late 50s .... not old but out of shape for longer...just don't give up, find something you somewhat enjoy, meet some people and have a great time....blessings, nancy
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you were really doing HIIT (this weeks fad de jour) you probably would only be able to do a few minutes at a time - the whole idea with HIIT is you're going balls to the wall for very brief periods of time with recovery intervals in between, it's exhausting even for seasoned athletes.

If you're goal is to build endurance your best friend is longer, relatively low intensity workouts (not at a recovery intensity but at a conversational one) HIIT is a great fitness builder just not great for endurance.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options

False. HIIT is excellent for building anaerobic capacity and diminishing aerobic capacity (for those who truly have a large aerobic base). People call HIIT different things, but if one is interested in growing their aerobic capacity, they should spend the time doing low intensity, long duration work.

HIIT works through anaerobic process but the effect is on VO2max, which is a large factor in endurance cardio activities for O2 uptake. And HIIT in training programs is not something that is done alone or over long duration. It is usually a supplemental program for 4 weeks that is rotated with steady state cardio.

I would recommend the OP do a bit of research (Google Scholar would be a good start) and look up the large collection on research for HIIT training effects on endurance cardio. Lots of good pointers you can grab from the research for how to make it work for you.

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

Not really sure what you are asking.

Based on the title of your thread, cardiovascular endurance is built by increasing distance done at a conversational pace. If you can't sing "Happy Birthday to You" you're going too fast/hard. Increase your distance 10%, or so, each week.

You will probably burn the most calories doing the above also. Weight loss is the result of a calorie deficit. Exercise does burn calories and can contribute to this loss.

If you are looking to improve strength, I like Strong Lifts 5x5 as a starter program.

I alternate lifting days (SL5x5) and Cardio days with Sundays as my day of rest. Find what you like and do that.
  • ronocnikral
    Options

HIIT works through anaerobic process but the effect is on VO2max, which is a large factor in endurance cardio activities for O2 uptake. And HIIT in training programs is not something that is done alone or over long duration. It is usually a supplemental program for 4 weeks that is rotated with steady state cardio.

I would recommend the OP do a bit of research (Google Scholar would be a good start) and look up the large collection on research for HIIT training effects on endurance cardio. Lots of good pointers you can grab from the research for how to make it work for you.

I can throw just as many studies showing an effect on VO2max doesn't impact performance in endurance events. Of course, that is for "highly trained athletes." If you just go to grunt out a couple stairs a couple times a week, you'll feel like your aerobic capacity is increasing, but it's really your anaerobic capacity. It doesn't really manifest itself until you try to do long events. Then try to do longer sessions on back to back days and you can't make it. Or if you do, you're destroyed for a couple days. But, if someone wants true aerobic endurance, it is spent long duration, low intensity. This may or may not be what people want with their "cardiovascular endurance."

Lastly, how are you quantitatively testing your VO2max "gains?" In a lab setting?

• patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I would be flabbergasted if there was anyone who was performing 45 mins of HIIT (45 mins of interval work maybe, HIIT - highly unlikely).

So, their 45 mins is likely to be steady state cardio which, although challenging, may not be as intense as your 15 mins HIT session.

Do you think my endurance is too low? Should I step it up? and how?

HIIT doesn't really test for or train endurance. It's a good way to pack "a lot" of exercise into a short time. If you want to improve endurance there is really nothing better than taking it slower and steady and working for longer. Personally, I wouldn't do that at the complete expense of the HIIT work but rather as a complement to it.

That said, if your goals are something other than being good at an endurance sport, event, or pastime (such as distance running) then you don't need to worry about endurance much (my opinion is that there are other fitness improvements that would take a higher priority for overall health).

The insanity program includes over 60 minutes of HIIT, so I'm sure there's some people who do it.