Slim Avocado?

Options
winneau
winneau Posts: 139 Member
I saw something labelled as a "slim avocado" in the produce section of my local grocery store today. They are HUGE compared to Hass avocados, smoother, and brighter green (lime colored). Has anyone tried these? Are they tasty? Are they worth the switch, nutrition-wise?

Replies

• shelli1982
    shelli1982 Posts: 133
    Options
    I have had them, I never really noticed a difference.... I usually just make guac with them though... i'd say give it a try and see what you think :)
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    omg i hate you

ive been looking for slim avocados FOREVER but i cant find them in any grocery store. totally jelly
  • winneau
    Options
    omg i hate you

ive been looking for slim avocados FOREVER but i cant find them in any grocery store. totally jelly

Haters gonna hate :laugh:

If anyone else is looking, they have them on sale for 4 for $5 or something like that at Kroger grocery stores in my area right now (Michigan).
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's what's referred to as a Bacon Avocado. They are firmer, and not as flavorful. I'd suggest trying it and seeing if it's worth it to you. (Avocado fat is good for you, and I'd personally rather have a smaller portion of "the real thing" than substituting something less-than).
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Here's what I found Googling.. The Slim are grown in FL & the Haas are grown in Cali.

Apparently it's merely a marketing ploy to get us to think they are lighter but they are actually quite a bit higher in cals because of the larger size.
    http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/difference-between-california-and-florida-avocados.aspx

What’s the Difference Between California and Florida Avocados?
    Just how quickly those calories add up depends on what type of avocado you have. Here in the U.S., the two main varieties of avocado are usually referred to as California and Florida avocados. The California avocados (also known as Hass avocados) are the ones with the dark, pebbly skins. The ones with the smooth green rinds are Florida avocados.

How Many Calories Are in an Avocado?
    One obvious difference is that Florida avocados are larger than the California variety and so they are quite a bit higher in calories. An average-sized Florida avocado has about 300 calories versus 200 calories for a typical California avocado.
    A not-so-obvious difference is that California avocados have a higher fat percentage, which makes them higher in calories if you’re measuring by weight. An ounce of Florida avocado—which is a piece about the size of a golf ball—has about 33 calories, whereas the richer California variety packs about 50-calories per ounce (or golf ball).
    This can all get very confusing when you’re trying to look up nutrition information for avocado. In order to get accurate information about fat and calories, you need to be sure that the source is referencing the same type of avocado as you’re eating.

What’s a “Lite” Avocado?
    Just to make things a little bit more confusing, you may have seen something labeled a “lite” avocado at the store. This isn’t really anything new. It’s just a new marketing spin that some clever Florida avocado growers came up with. Seeing as Florida varieties are lower in fat, they thought they’d play up that advantage by rebranding Florida avocados as “lite” avocados. But buyer beware: Ounce for ounce, Florida avocados are lower in calories, but you have to remember that they’re also twice as big. If you’re going to eat the whole thing, you’d actually be far better off eating a California avocado.

Which Kind of Avocado is Better?
    In terms of flavor and texture, California avocados are richer, creamier, and more avocado-y. They tend to make better guacamole, for example. The one time when I prefer the Florida variety is in grapefruit and avocado salad, which is, not surprisingly, a classic Florida recipe. In this dish, I think the Florida avocados work better because they hold their shape much better and don’t get slimy.

Why Are Avocados Good for You?
    Adding avocado to your salads can vastly increase your absorption of nutrients from the vegetables in the salad.In addition to being rich in monounsaturated fats, avocados are also a good source of vitamins C, E, K, folate, and fiber. Not only are they nutritious themselves, but they make other foods more nutritious as well. As I explained in a previous article, adding avocado to salads can vastly increase your absorption of nutrients from the vegetables in your salad. Nice trick, huh?
    Related Content: Get More Nutrition From Your Vegetables
  • winneau
    Options
    Thanks for the info, guys. It sounds like it'll be worth it to try, and maybe use in some recipes. When it comes to delicious, creamy, melt in your mouth avocado slices by themselves or on warm toast... I'll stick to the good stuff. Great. Now I'm drooling.
  • SusieMarie1
    SusieMarie1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I suspect the variety is the Florida avocado and since i live in Florida, and am in love with Hass variety, I was always dismayed that the Florida type would always be on sale & cost less than the Hass. I love the creamy (fattiness!) of the Hass, and it's buttery/nutty flavor. Of course it does have more fat. The Florida avocado has a green skin that is smooth and doesn't turn black upon ripening. It tends to be bigger & taste sweeter, is less creamy (imo) and has more moisture which i guess is also what makes it seems more watery than creamy/fatter and therefore "slimmer."
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I make a point to buy the small Haas I find at my grocery store, versus the really large ones they also offer. By eating half of a small Hass, I get the goodness of Haas, but a more reasonable amount of calories/fat. Haven't seen or tried the slims.