I'm so sad

Options
to see that people who started the same time as me (May 2008) lost weight. But for me, I'm going nowhere and starting all over again.:sad: :sad: :sad:

I've been exercising regularly and its so sad to see that the scale hasn't moved in the last 8 months.

Replies

• pavang82
    pavang82 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    to see that people who started the same time as me (May 2008) lost weight. But for me, I'm going nowhere and starting all over again.:sad: :sad: :sad:

I've been exercising regularly and its so sad to see that the scale hasn't moved in the last 8 months.
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    Maybe this is the weight your body wants to be.....
    I know the last 10 pounds is the hardest but 8 months???
  • Coach2010
    Coach2010 Posts: 209
    Options
    Hey, hang in there. This is a process where we're learning all the way along. I would ask that you please continue to be open to learning what works and what doesn't work for you and those on the MFP community.

Keep your efforts in focus, as it's the effort that is going to keep you above the mindset of win/loss of achieving your goal. That kind of pressure will stifle your growth in fitness.

Do your best, and enjoy the journey! :drinker:
  • Hanna1983
    Hanna1983 Posts: 251
    Options
    Aww thats such a shame! Are you sticking to the nutritional goals that MFP calculated for you?

I am myself off to a slow start. But admittingly that is because I do not stick to my nutritional goals at all times :grumble:
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options

Have you been doing the same exercises? Your body might not find them as a challenge anymore. Change it up or turn it up, speed/resistance
  • Jennay77
    Options
    Don't be sad, keep it up, you can do it!

I was going through the same thing, and found out that stress plays a big part in losing weight. Maybe that's an aspect to look at.

Keep your head up!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    If it's been 8 months and you're doing everything right, I really would recommened that you make a trip in to see your doctor. the last 10 lbs will be the hardest to get off, but maybe, as someone suggested, your body is just dont willing to go that low. Maybe you are at a healthy weight right now. Or maybe there is a health concern stopping you from reaching your goal. Either way, it couldn't hurt to go in, may solve your weight loss issue! Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • pavang82
    Options
    Aww thats such a shame! Are you sticking to the nutritional goals that MFP calculated for you?

I am myself off to a slow start. But admittingly that is because I do not stick to my nutritional goals at all times :grumble:

Yes, it's shameful to admit that I haven't made any progress within the last 8 months. I do have cheat days, and try really hard to stick to my nutritional goals that MFP calculated for me.
  • nguill6
    nguill6 Posts: 133
    Options
    Maybe you should talk to a nutritionist or a personal trainer. I haven't made much progress yet either, but I know I'm going way over my calories some days and I'm not exercising as regularly as I should be. Also make sure you're taking measurements and not just looking at the scale. You might be making more progress than you think... Either way- keep working at it because your overall health is benefitting! LONGEVITY:bigsmile:
  • pavang82
    Options
    If it's been 8 months and you're doing everything right, I really would recommened that you make a trip in to see your doctor. the last 10 lbs will be the hardest to get off, but maybe, as someone suggested, your body is just dont willing to go that low. Maybe you are at a healthy weight right now. Or maybe there is a health concern stopping you from reaching your goal. Either way, it couldn't hurt to go in, may solve your weight loss issue! Best of luck! :flowerforyou:

I went to my Dr. last week because I was having neck and shoulder pains. She said it was my muscle. It has been a week now and I haven't exercised yet, I feel so disgusted. It's not 10 pounds that I want to loose, it's a short term goal only so I won't get unmotivated. My overall weight loss goal is 30lbs. According to my BMI, I'm overweight. I congrats you on your weight loss. :smile:
  • pavang82
    Options
    Maybe you should talk to a nutritionist or a personal trainer. I haven't made much progress yet either, but I know I'm going way over my calories some days and I'm not exercising as regularly as I should be. Also make sure you're taking measurements and not just looking at the scale. You might be making more progress than you think... Either way- keep working at it because your overall health is benefitting! LONGEVITY:bigsmile:

Thanks for your advice. I started taking measurements on 1/9/09 so I won't get unmotivated. I'll take measurements again on Feb 9.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that you body has what they call a "happy weight" and unfortunately I have been stuck at my body's happy weight for months
  • Hanna1983
    Hanna1983 Posts: 251
    Options

Yes, it's shameful to admit that I haven't made any progress within the last 8 months. I do have cheat days, and try really hard to stick to my nutritional goals that MFP calculated for me.

No its not shameful. I am sure there is a good reason why your scale has not shown any difference.
    I agree with the previous quote about measuring yourself. 10 lbs is not that much to lose and will take longer. But you might be able to see a difference already in your measurements. My weight hasnt changed that much yet, but I feel firmer and clothes are already fitting better. I think thats because I am currently building up muscle while losing fat and it balances itself out somehow... who knows.
  • pavang82
    Options
    I read somewhere that you body has what they call a "happy weight" and unfortunately I have been stuck at my body's happy weight for months

But I've seen that you've lost 33 lbs already, I haven't lost anything. I'm back at square 1. And I know that I'm not at my so called "happy weight."
  • heal4444
    heal4444 Posts: 709
    Options
    I'm sorry you feel sad. Thank you for sharing your frustration with us. Hope you'll feel happier soon. Don't lose weight to feel happy. You'll only postpone your own happiness. Feel happy while getting more fit and eating better. We're all here with you. You're not alone. :flowerforyou: Take good care. You are a busy mom of 3. Take good care of #1 first, yourself.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

But I've seen that you've lost 33 lbs already, I haven't lost anything. I'm back at square 1. And I know that I'm not at my so called "happy weight."

pav, it's hard some times. BTW that happy weight is called the set point, its a range of 10% of your ultimate goal that your body feels good with and will fight against changing.

Pav, if you think it may help, why don't you post your numbers (height, weight, activity level), what you are doing, what your typical meal plan is like, what your goal is set at...etc. Maybe someone will spot something that may help you succeed. 8 months is a long time to have no success, and that must be frustrating. It could be medical, but just as possible is that it's something little that you need to tweak.
  • pavang82
    Options
    pav, it's hard some times. BTW that happy weight is called the set point, its a range of 10% of your ultimate goal that your body feels good with and will fight against changing.

Pav, if you think it may help, why don't you post your numbers (height, weight, activity level), what you are doing, what your typical meal plan is like, what your goal is set at...etc. Maybe someone will spot something that may help you succeed. 8 months is a long time to have no success, and that must be frustrating. It could be medical, but just as possible is that it's something little that you need to tweak.

Aren't you "BANKS"? Nice to see you back on again. Okay I'm 5'2 and my weight fluctuates anywhere from 140-145.:ohwell: My goal is set to loose 0.9lbs/week at 1200 cal/per day. I usually go to the gym 4X per week doing elliptical machines and run on the treadmill for 30 minutes per day. Since I've gone nowhere, I've been slacking off BIG time, its been almost 2 weeks since I last went to the gym. I need to find motivation ASAP. :sad:
  • pavang82
    Options
    :smile:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Aren't you "BANKS"? Nice to see you back on again. Okay I'm 5'2 and my weight fluctuates anywhere from 140-145.:ohwell: My goal is set to loose 0.9lbs/week at 1200 cal/per day. I usually go to the gym 4X per week doing elliptical machines and run on the treadmill for 30 minutes per day. Since I've gone nowhere, I've been slacking off BIG time, its been almost 2 weeks since I last went to the gym. I need to find motivation ASAP. :sad:

Yes yes, tis me. :happy:

well, first, 5'2 and 142 lbs (I put it in the middle), with a somewhat active lifestyle ( you have 3 boys all under 10, so you're not sedentary.) Puts your MAINTENANCE calories at about 1900. So you should be at about 1450 calories a day to get .9 lbs/week, not 1200, that makes a difference.
    2nd, the (just under) 1 lb / week you are at is probably too much for you. You have a BMI of 26, which is JUUUSSSTTTT a tad over normal. Which means your body's gonna fight you every step of the way. Here's the thing pav, eating less won't make it go faster.

So (and remember, this is just a suggestion) I would eat around 1500 to 1600 a week PLUS the calories you burn on both the tread mill and your eliptical. Also, and this is just my humble opinion, your at the stage now where you probably need a couple of days of weight training to go along with your cardio. Cardio's great for fat burning, but really, in order to LOOK better, muscle definition is needed. At a BMI of 26, it wouldn't take your body long to respond.
  • pavang82
    Options

Yes yes, tis me. :happy:

well, first, 5'2 and 142 lbs (I put it in the middle), with a somewhat active lifestyle ( you have 3 boys all under 10, so you're not sedentary.) Puts your MAINTENANCE calories at about 1900. So you should be at about 1450 calories a day to get .9 lbs/week, not 1200, that makes a difference.
    2nd, the (just under) 1 lb / week you are at is probably too much for you. You have a BMI of 26, which is JUUUSSSTTTT a tad over normal. Which means your body's gonna fight you every step of the way. Here's the thing pav, eating less won't make it go faster.

So (and remember, this is just a suggestion) I would eat around 1500 to 1600 a week PLUS the calories you burn on both the tread mill and your eliptical. Also, and this is just my humble opinion, your at the stage now where you probably need a couple of days of weight training to go along with your cardio. Cardio's great for fat burning, but really, in order to LOOK better, muscle definition is needed. At a BMI of 26, it wouldn't take your body long to respond.

Thanks for your input. I did do strength training and sprained my muscle. I'm putting that on hold for now. I will change my daily intake to 1450 and see how that goes. I appreciate it so much. By the way, welcome back also.