Dieting, Nutrition, Losing Weight and Myths Debunked

Options

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Yes! I said that in my first reply. A "good" unhealthy diet is an oxymoron. BUT, that doesn't mean you can't lose weight on a bad diet. Unhealthy food = bad food, what quantities are eaten doesn't change that.

Exactly.

So what are the chances of this getting stickied? Probably not so good huh.
  • boobear00
    boobear00 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • ladybug2020
    ladybug2020 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Bump. I enjoyed your post. Look forward to reading more
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Nice! Thanks for this. The "low fat" myth drives me bananas. I ♥ me some good fats :)
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    What exactly about the 8 glasses of water a day myth? Are you saying that we don't need to drink 8 glasses of water a day and hydrate our bodies? *confused*

Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying.

Water myth 1: There has never been evidence that 8 glasses is better than 6 or 9. It's a completely arbitrary generalization. We need enough liquid to keep from getting thirsty and to keep our urine fairly clear. And that's all. It may take you 8 glasses, but it may take more or less. The fact is that it will likely take different amounts on different days depending on diet and activity.

Water myth 2: Plain water is not better at hydration than other liquids including caffienated beverages. In fact, some studies have shown tea to actually be healthier than water.

Water myth3: Drinking more water will help with weight loss. Studies have failed to prove that drinking more water than is necessary for hydration has any affect on weight loss.

8 glasses of water a day is a low end estimate for most people. We should roughly consume half our body weight in ounces of water daily Caffeine is a diuretic meaning it causes you to expel water. For hydration purposes it's not the best choice. Today i probably consumed 18 cups of water/drinks if not more. and i wasn't urinating real frequently. About once an hour which is optimum in high heat conditions. Properly hydrated your urine should be clear. My consumption changes depending on circumstances be it heat, exercise. 100 ounces of water on top of all other fluids is about normal for my daily intake.

Tea has many healthy benifits. Hydration doesn't top the list. Water of course helps with fat metabolism. So yes it does assist in fat loss which in turn equals weight loss.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Another great post!!

Exercise is a complement to your diet. Its something that will help you loose weight but in itself won't make you loose weight.

There are some things (despite the studies you talk about) that I don't agree 100% but for the most part this is very sound information.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Good post and worth the read.
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • klt1030
    klt1030 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Bumping so I remember to read later
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    bump
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I fully agree that it's more about what you eat than exercise, but...

* Exercise will allow you to eat more, which is always a plus for me.

* And exercise will make you look better once the weight is lost.

Also wanted to point out that eating late doesn't make you gain weight, but a lot of people will freak out because they get on the scale the next morning and might weigh more, just because their body hasn't had the time yet to process the food yet. In other words... they haven't pooped yet.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Bump.... to read more later.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Some very good points. The first one will help me tremendously. When I'm going through a normal teaching day, there is no possible way to fit in a snack or mini-meal. I'm barely able to fit in lunch. Thanks for lowering my stress a bit! :smile:
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Yay! I love reading material that supports my own beliefs.

You're right, if it contradicted what I already thought, I would have backed out immediately as I am horrid like that.
  • shaunsta1
    shaunsta1 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hello i am new to this - and i have set myself up...
    im confused as it tells me that i have to eat 1200 calories a day to loose weight........

But i have checked other calorie counter calculators on line and some say 852 - 926 - 1300??

How do i know what the right amount is??

Help please..... thanks :-))
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What exactly about the 8 glasses of water a day myth? Are you saying that we don't need to drink 8 glasses of water a day and hydrate our bodies? *confused*

Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying.

Water myth 1: There has never been evidence that 8 glasses is better than 6 or 9. It's a completely arbitrary generalization. We need enough liquid to keep from getting thirsty and to keep our urine fairly clear. And that's all. It may take you 8 glasses, but it may take more or less. The fact is that it will likely take different amounts on different days depending on diet and activity.

Water myth 2: Plain water is not better at hydration than other liquids including caffienated beverages. In fact, some studies have shown tea to actually be healthier than water.

Water myth3: Drinking more water will help with weight loss. Studies have failed to prove that drinking more water than is necessary for hydration has any affect on weight loss.

8 glasses of water a day is a low end estimate for most people. We should roughly consume half our body weight in ounces of water daily Caffeine is a diuretic meaning it causes you to expel water. For hydration purposes it's not the best choice. Today i probably consumed 18 cups of water/drinks if not more. and i wasn't urinating real frequently. About once an hour which is optimum in high heat conditions. Properly hydrated your urine should be clear. My consumption changes depending on circumstances be it heat, exercise. 100 ounces of water on top of all other fluids is about normal for my daily intake.

Tea has many healthy benifits. Hydration doesn't top the list. Water of course helps with fat metabolism. So yes it does assist in fat loss which in turn equals weight loss.

Dispelling the caffinated tea will not hydrate you myth: (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/5281046.stm)
    "The work in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition dispels the common belief that tea dehydrates.

Tea not only rehydrates as well as water does, but it can also protect against heart disease and some cancers, UK nutritionists found."
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Hello i am new to this - and i have set myself up...
    im confused as it tells me that i have to eat 1200 calories a day to loose weight........

But i have checked other calorie counter calculators on line and some say 852 - 926 - 1300??

How do i know what the right amount is??

Help please..... thanks :-))

The less you eat the more weight you will lose. The question is do you want to lose healthily or not. You need to eat a certain amount of calories to maintain muscle and for your body to function correctly, just the same as you need to eat certain nutrients. But that doesn't mean you won't be thinner if you simply eat a small amount of unhealthy food.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    The less you eat the more weight you will lose. The question is do you want to lose healthily or not. You need to eat a certain amount of calories to maintain muscle and for your body to function correctly, just the same as you need to eat certain nutrients. But that doesn't mean you won't be thinner if you simply eat a small amount of unhealthy food.

^This. Spoken like a true prodigy.
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    Agreed man! Great post!