What are others like me doing?

Options
Hi, just wondering what other women with the same profile as me are doing.... just out of curiosity. What do you find works best for you? What is your goal weight?

My stats:
Female
5' 6"
Current weight: 185lbs
Exercise: 4-5x/week, 2-3 days of cardio (30-45 mins elliptical, running, walking on an incline) and 2 days of strength training (30-45 mins of body weight for past month, but now starting to add some free weights)
Daily calorie goal of 1,900 calories with 30g fiber and at least 60g protein
Goal weight: 170lbs for now

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Impressive. Is that 170 lbs your bench press goal? On weeks when you get that exercise 5x, you are in the top 5% of humans, as 95% of people don't exercise that often.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I'm an inch taller than you. My goal weight is 155, but I will reevaluate when I get there. I am losing weight steadily, 14 pounds down so far this year.

I weigh and log all my foods and use IF. I eat whatever I want. Sometimes it's a lot of veggies and lean meat and sometimes it's pasta followed by ice cream. I don't feel like I am losing out on anything and am always satisfied.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you'd count me as being "like you", since only my height and gender are the same! :)

I'm female, 51, also 5'6", currently 165lbs after starting at 217 last year. My current goal weight is around 140lbs, but I want to get at least to 150 (154 would put me just into "normal BMI" territory and out of "overweight").

I'm very sedentary and don't exercise much because I'm lazy. :) I do a little bit at home now and again, trying to get into the habit of daily exercise. I concern myself more with my calorie intake than anything else, and I haven't cut out any foods - I eat the things I like, and am learning to enjoy them in smaller and more appropriate portions. I figure more activity will come either with nicer weather in the spring, or when I finally get a job!

I would gain on 1900 calories, but like I said I'm sedentary. :)
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    AS the above poster said..I am basically your height, and also sedentary, though I walk in total about 10,000 steps a day but that includes my normal just moving about. My sw was 224
    cw is 168 and my goal is 150
    I too eat whatever but stay within 1200 calories and rarely eat back any exercise I get because in reality I'm not really moving enough.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'6" female! I started at about 170 lb and my goal for now is 150. That's about what my set point was before a couple of kids made everything go crazy. My lowest weight was 145, which was lovely, but I'm not sure I can maintain it while not breastfeeding and having another human offload a few hundred of my calories a day.

My MFP calories are 1330, and I eat back my exercise calories to get around 1500/day. Seem to be losing about the 1 lb a week I'm aiming for. I do some yoga, some walking, and kettlebells 3x a week right now. Once the snow melts, I'll go back to biking to work - which adds a nice 40 min of cardio, 5x a week.
  • Joramaisi3
    Joramaisi3 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm a 33 yr old female currently at 201.6. I was stuck between 203-205 for weeks. So on Feb 1 started 30DS and I still do Zumba 2-3x a week. I finally broke that 203-205 range.

I eat what MFP recommends for 1lb a week which is about 1600 but I don't eat back exercise calories because I want to lose 1.5-2lbs a week. I tried to eat 1200 calories and eat back exercise calories but I was stuck.

This is what works for me.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    When I joined MFP I was 185lb...5 ft 7.

I started with a few workout vids, moved to heavy lifting, added in cardio all the while logging accurately and consistently, lost the weight and now pretty much maintain within my range.

Currently looking to get down to 145 just cause I want to..maybe 140 this summer...again cause I want to....but it's not that important as I am happy here.

ETA: I ate 1600 calories a day.
  • joaniebalonie088
    joaniebalonie088 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm 28 years old, 5'7" and 172 lbs. My goal is 1430 per day to lose 1lb per week. I work a desk job and it is a struggle to get ~10,000 daily steps on my fitbit!

I go to the gym ~4 days per week for group exercise classes (45 min-1hour) and have been dabbling with weights, though frankly I feel like an idiot trying to figure it all out so am still not doing as much weight training as I'd like. On days off from the gym I try to get extra steps on my fitbit or a short pedal on my stationary bike at home.

I eat back about 1/2 of my exercise calories on average - sometimes none, sometimes all, but it averages to about 1/2 throughout a week. The weight has been creeping off at a rate slower than the 1 lb/week set point but at least its coming off!
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 186 lbs and I'm on 1440 calories a day to lose a pound a week. I work out 5 days a week for 30-45 minutes but I'm sedentary otherwise.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I'm an inch shorter, age 50 and started at 188.8 with a total lack of fitness with lower back relatively mild issues and bursitis in my shoulders. I've accomplished my current 28 lb loss (just hit 159.8 this morning) focusing more on calorie deficit from sedentary, at 1200 per day. I lost 20 lbs at a good pace just on diet alone. I've slowly and gradually added exercise for fitness and to get more calories, especially during the holidays and whatnot. My weight loss has slowed on the scale due to adding exercise (water weight) and newbie muscle.

I started with my cycling for cardio, and monitored my heart rate with my fitbit, what was once 165 heart rate is now down to 135-145. Once I felt my legs had adapted and I wanted to also work upper body, I added in free weights at home, the bursitis was/is painful to push through. I started with 3 and 5 lb weights and now use 5, 8 and 10, my biceps will need 12 soon. I moved from cycling to my old jane fonda step aerobics and that change bumped up my loss better, did that just for a few weeks until it became easier then added 1lb arm weights to the routine.

I just added in my old Firm Cardio Sculpt with Fanny Lifter routine into the mix. Previous experience with that routine had me lose a dress size in 10 workouts (and vacation is in 20 days). The routine is essentially circuit training, an all body workout. I'm very pleased I can at least get through the routine, its tough for me!

Throughout it all I eat 1200 -1300 on days I don't exercise, and eat back 50-75% of exercise calories on the days I do. I try to workout in some way a bit extra the day before or day after a night out on the town even if that exercise is yardwork. In preparation for the superbowl I moved a pile of sand, wheelbarrow by wheelbarrow, for my neighbor, lol.

Anyway, I'm losing an average of maybe 1.1lbs a week right now, MFP stays at 1200 calories for me unless I change my goal to .50 lbs and I don't want to do that. My interim goal is to lose 2 more lbs before vacation, then I'll still have 20 left to lose, but I'm mentally preparing myself for gaining 5 lbs on vacation. It's possible that won't happen, there will be lots of walking and my intention IS to use the fitness centers at the hotels, but I'm mentally preparing myself anyway, lol, so I can get right back on track when I return and start logging again without guilt.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,163 Member
    Options
    I started weight loss at 183 pounds at 5'5", age 59 at the time. (I was 5'6" earlier in life . . . :# ).

In season, I row on water 3-4 times/week, and go to spin class twice a week, plus do some random bike rides or walks of an hour or so, usually trying to get some kind of physical activity 6 days a week. In winter, I do a bit less volume (because nothing's as fun as rowing), keeping up with twice a week spin, and adding some swimming, sometimes off-season weight training but only a couple of times a week, a bit of rowing machine, etc. On average, I maybe drop back to serious activity 4-5 days a week on average during off-season. I've been approximately this active for a dozen years or so, while staying obese.

My goal weight range is 117-123 pounds, but it's important to understand that I'm (1) post-bilateral-mastectomy with no reconstruction, so no breasts at all, and (2) built like a 14-year-old boy - wide shoulders, but very straight, narrow body with no hips or booty even when strong (34-27-35 kind of measurements). My goal would be too light for some body types at my height, I know.

As of this time last year (Jan/Feb 2016), I'd lost 63 pounds and hit goal. The majority of my weight was lost eating somewhere in the 1400-1600 net calorie range, and eating back all (carefully estimated) exercise calories. For some reason, I burn more NEAT calories than calculators (like MFP) estimate.

I was maintaining in my goal weight range for most of last year, but gained a bit above the top end in September/October, unsurprisingly not losing it over the holidays, and am now at a very small calorie deficit, eating 1700-1800 net calories, to slowly lose back from my current weight (around 128 pounds this morning). I'd estimate actual net maintenance calories to be 2000, maybe a bit higher.

I'm now 61 years old. If it matters, I'm also hypothyroid, but well-controlled by meds. I'm also ovo-lacto vegetarian (for 43 years), targeting 100g protein minimum, 50ish g fat (striving for healthy sources), and an absolute minimum of 5 fruit/veg servings daily (often get 10 or more). Carbs fall where they may, to balance things out.
  • SoUl_ReBeL2021
    SoUl_ReBeL2021 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My stats

Female
    5"9
    SW 335
    CW 238
    GW 180

I've been at this for a while as you can tell by my weight loss, i'm set at 1500 cal per day but lately all I've been eating is about 1100- 1200 because I'm sick. I normally only exercise 2 to 3 times a week and protein is around 40-50 g per day, carbs are usually 150 g per day and fat no more than 50 g a day. It's been working for me even when I was eating 1400 to 1500 cal per day without exercising I was losing a pound to a pound and a half a week. Everybody's different what works for me may not work for you.