Terrified to have wisdom teeth pulled

Options
swagoner94
swagoner94 Posts: 220 Member
I was told months ago that I need to have my wisdom teeth pulled. I wasn't willing to pay what was required for the procedure and so I put it off. I'm in pain and have some swelling so I called today and they want me to come in for surgery TOMORROW! I wasn't prepared for that. I've had 4 ibuprofen and 1 benadryl (I randomly had an allergic reaction today at work). Does that impact the surgery and/or general anesthesia tomorrow?
I'm kind of terrified! :( Help!

Replies

• Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Are they putting you under? ibuprofen is a blood thinner you should call your dentist and get their advice.
  • angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid! I had all 4 of mine removed at once, and it was pretty easy. Just try to stock up on soft/smooth liquid foods like Naked juices, yogurt, pudding, applesauce, jello, and soups. It didn't really hurt afterward, just be sure to take the pain meds and stay ahead of the pain. Best of luck!
  • swagoner94
    swagoner94 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Treece68 wrote: »
    Are they putting you under? ibuprofen is a blood thinner you should call your dentist and get their advice.
    had my top two yanked a few years ago. bottom two i had to go under for oral surgery to get removed. its not a big deal really except the recovery part of things being annoying and you'll be a lot better off when its done. doc might give you a valium or something if you're super nervous though. give them a call and ask.

I am being put under. They're all four impacted so they'll all be extracted in oral surgery :(
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,946 Member
    Options
    i had my top ones pulled in the marine corps. They just gave some Novocain and yanked them. I went straight to the chow hall afterward and ate some hard shell tacos. This may have been a Tuesday now that I think about it.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    something, something, buttercup...
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    Call the make sure the allergic reaction won't be an issue.

I had mine all out in my teens and went to Europe the next week. as long as you keep them clean it's fine and you'll find it more a relief if they are already bothering you. It's just gross since you taste blood and blood isn't tasty
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Call and ask your doctor's office this, not a bunch of random people on the internet. If they're closed now, call as soon as they open in the morning.

I had badly impacted wisdom teeth. I put off having them removed for a long time because I was afraid. I suffered with terrible jaw pain. When I finally gave in and had it done, I felt way better. I didn't even take the pain killers they prescribed, just the OTC antiinflammatory they recommend and I was in less pain after the surgery than before.
  • M1ssdanni
    M1ssdanni Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. Need mine removing but I'm terrified! I prob just go doctors get something to calm nerves before. See about that :)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Call the doctor about the OTC you took just to make sure since you had a reaction.

True story, 5 wisdom teeth pulled, the 5th one was a surprise they found during surgery.

As with anything the first day or two is the worst, you prolly will not feel like eating or drinking much at first. Try to stay hydrated though and follow all the instructions on your pain meds and antibiotics.

You will be fine, don't be afraid.. :)
  • PersianKitty94
    PersianKitty94 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I got all 4 of ine out 2 years ago the day before Thabksgiving. I was stressed out and scared about the procedure. After they put in the IV and put me under, I didn't feel anything. It took them about 25 minutes but to me it felt like 2 minutes. Woke up a bit confused and sleepy. The pain started about 4-5 hours later and that's prob because my parents didn't go get the precription drug for me so I roughed it out. I slept through the night and the next morning I was okay. My face was a tad bit swallon.
  • rizzolli85
    rizzolli85 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    it's sad ( take care
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    You'll likely be home bound for a few days. It's not the procedure that's the issue, it's the recovery. I had 2 removed and was up on my feet and doing regular stuff in a couple of days. Some others I know took a couple of weeks.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I'm terrified of dentist and doctors. I never had my wisdom teeth pulled.. neither did my brother even though the dentist told him his would need to be since they were pointing sideways. His came in eventually and so did mine. It hurt like hell for several years and my brother was down right miserable. The dentist told my son his bottom wisdom teeth needed to be pulled because they are sideways. My son made the choice to let age long "wisdom" decide for him. Aka.. he said no, which ticked off the dentist. We don't believe wisdom teeth are natures little mistake. Some ppl HAVE to have them out.. and if you are prone to infections in them, then by all means.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    My extraction was literally NOTHING. They gassed me, I got kinda loopy, don't remember much after that. Then I went home, passed out for a while and drooled bloody spit all over my pillowcase. I ate Jell-o and ice cream for two days and that was it. They send you home with adequate pain meds, but I didn't need them. Complete non-issue. You should have nothing to worry about.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    Why is it a surgery ?
    Where I'm from a dentist does it and you drive home afterwards.. I've had 2 wisdom teeth removed and it wasn't that bad.
    You'll be fine. It kinda hurts for 2 days but then you don't even remember it.
  • PersianKitty94
    PersianKitty94 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    swagoner94 wrote: »
    Treece68 wrote: »
    had my top two yanked a few years ago. bottom two i had to go under for oral surgery to get removed. its not a big deal really except the recovery part of things being annoying and you'll be a lot better off when its done. doc might give you a valium or something if you're super nervous though. give them a call and ask.

I am being put under. They're all four impacted so they'll all be extracted in oral surgery :(

I had mine taken out when I was sixteen because I also needed other teeth pulled before getting braces and my orthodontist thought they should just go in and get it done at the same time. So none of them had erupted at the time.

I won't lie, there was definite pain once everything was over and I was constantly on advil and T3s for about three days afterwards and that knocked me right out. But other than that, honestly, it wasn't so bad. I just laid on the couch while my mom took care of me. Lots of soup and ice cream and lounging.

I remember the anesthetic made me really pissed off though and I got mad at the guy in the bed next to me because he wasn't listening to instructions. Once I was discharged the nurse was helping me to the car and I went, "I CAN WALK ON MY OWN!" (well, I tried to, it was all muffled because of the swelling and cotton that was in my mouth lol).

I rememeber being pissed off too lol. In my head after waking up: " how dare the doctor and nurses talk about their day and their plans for Thanksgiving while I just had my teeth pulled?!"