Feeling discouraged..how to lower body fat%?

Options
Hello all, I've been going to the gym for about a month. When I had my first initial assessment, my body fat was just under 30%. I'd like to be in the mid 20's
I go to the gym almost every day and at least get on the treadmill. I have not lost any weight since I have joined the gym. I thought by now I would at least lose a couple of pounds and thought that I may have gained some muscle and decreased my body fat by at least a couple %. When I asked for my body fat to be meadured again today, I found out that it's increased by 3%. :|
I was told I need to look into my diet. I thought that I had a pretty good handle on what to eat, But obviously there are some changes I need to make. Does anybody have any tips on how to decrease body fat? Foods to eliminate? Foods to eat? Macros? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your body fat? Most of the things you hold by the handles (can't think of the name) are notoriously inaccurate. How hydrated you are will affect the reading. Same with a scale that "reads" your body fat. Don't sweat it. Keep doing the right thing, and you'll get there. Your food consumption will have a drastic effect. What are you doing about your diet? Do you use a food scale and log everything you eat, religiously? Start there. Seriously. Food scale.

tav68x5p3wz3.jpg
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    The tool that your gym is using to measure bodyfat is not accurate. They are using a handheld device or a scale that you are standing on, right? They are not even accurate to compare across time so don't worry about it.

Are you eating in a deficit? Are you counting calories? What calorie level are you eating? What are your height and weight?

Bottom line, you need to eat in a deficit (i.e., ingest fewer calories than you burn all day long doing everything from blinking to emailing your grandma to running on a treadmill) in order to lose weight.
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Only a month? Sorry. Actual muscle gain takes MONTHS. Especially for a women.

Best thing is keeping up with protein and getting fruits and vegetables in. If you're trying to lose weight, you need to go into a calories deficit. And understand machines at the gym and here on MFP tend to overestimate calories burned. Understand its nearly impossible to gain muscle on a deficit, but still try to do resistant training. From crunches to push ups, planks and squats to using hand weights or bars.

1. Count calories
    2. Add in cardio
    3. Do resistance training
    4. Eat your fruits & vegetables
    5. Slow and steady weightloss is better than dramatic loss
    6. Don't overdue the gym and burn yourself out
  • EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's a handle thingy at the gym that was used to measure body fat. I'm 5'5" and fluctuate in between 155-160 MFP has my calorie goal at 1230..seems a bit low.
    I believe I'm set to lose 1.5 pounds a week.
    Thanks for the advice
  • Helkaahaien87
    Helkaahaien87 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    To build muscle you need to eat more calories and high protein. Lift heavy, low reps, and minimal cardio (mainly HIIT training). Also it takes time to build muscle, if you do it perfectly you're looking at 0.5%BF reduction a month on average for women.

You can build and lose weight but you'll need to find a middle on the calories and keep in mind fast loss & muscle building will both be slower
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get enough protein, add restanxe training compound lifts like squat and deadlifts. Also they handheld things are fairly inaccurate. Take some pics front side and the. Take some more in 6 weeks or so and see if u look different u should see if u loosing bf and building muscle from those.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Cardio doesn't really do much of anything to build muscle. It may be great for your heart but you won't add muscle until your body thinks you need it.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Fat loss comes from deficit. Workout to improve body composition and health.