New weight, new goal?

Options
LittleChipin
LittleChipin Posts: 102 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey everyone, I started my journey at 162 pounds and am now currently 140 pounds. It's been slow going but I'm almost to my final goal weight of 130 pounds, I'm 22 years old and 5'2" and I just lowered my 1275 calorie a day diet to 1200 since I put my new weight into MFP. My question is is this too low or too high for my petite frame? I do do zumba 4 days a week (newly implemented, normally little to no exercise previously) but do not eat back the calories since that's just a touchy area and I want nothing to mess up my weight loss. I do weigh everything and log it as well. Any advice is appreciated! Also if you have my stats, how has your weight loss been?

Replies

• Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    The only way to tell is if you start dropping at an alarming rate. I was stuck at 145 lbs for months and bam, all of a sudden i was 135lbs. Weight has been weird for me, but inches, especially in my waist, seem to melt off
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If you have MFP set to sedentary--which I'm assuming since you weren't previously exercising--then you should be eating back at least some of your exercise calories. Otherwise, you're eating a net calorie intake of far less than 1200. Many people choose to eat back about half of their exercise calories, since MFP estimates of calorie burn tend pretty high.

I'm considerably shorter than you--just under 5 feet--and have been eating at a baseline 1200 calories/day for going on three years now. But I also eat back 50-75% of my exercise calories. 92 pounds down so far, 8 lb from my goal.
  • LittleChipin
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    If you have MFP set to sedentary--which I'm assuming since you weren't previously exercising--then you should be eating back at least some of your exercise calories. Otherwise, you're eating a net calorie intake of far less than 1200. Many people choose to eat back about half of their exercise calories, since MFP estimates of calorie burn tend pretty high.

I'm considerably shorter than you--just under 5 feet--and have been eating at a baseline 1200 calories/day for going on three years now. But I also eat back 50-75% of my exercise calories. 92 pounds down so far, 8 lb from my goal.

The weird thing is is when I add 60 minutes of zumba on MFP it adds it double on my fitbit. So I'll have 60 minutes of activity from zumba on my fitbit but if I add it to MFP too so I can eat 50% back it shows up as 120 minutes in my fitbit which is wrong. I have no clue how to get around that..
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

The weird thing is is when I add 60 minutes of zumba on MFP it adds it double on my fitbit. So I'll have 60 minutes of activity from zumba on my fitbit but if I add it to MFP too so I can eat 50% back it shows up as 120 minutes in my fitbit which is wrong. I have no clue how to get around that..

So your Fitbit is synced to MFP? You shouldn't be logging your exercise at all here then, just let your Fitbit do the adjustment.
  • LittleChipin
    Options

So your Fitbit is synced to MFP? You shouldn't be logging your exercise at all here then, just let your Fitbit do the adjustment.

So if I don't log the exercise at all then, my fitbit does not add any calories to MFP at all even on my active zumba days. Would that mean I shouldn't eat any exercise calories back then, since fitbit doesn't add to my MFP calories?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

So if I don't log the exercise at all then, my fitbit does not add any calories to MFP at all even on my active zumba days. Would that mean I shouldn't eat any exercise calories back then, since fitbit doesn't add to my MFP calories?

Something isn't right there then, you should definitely be getting additional calories, your maintenance is highly unlikely to be 1200 including exercise! Have you checked you have it all set up correctly? Has it ever increased your goal for you based on steps?
  • LittleChipin
    Options

Something isn't right there then, you should definitely be getting additional calories, your maintenance is highly unlikely to be 1200 including exercise! Have you checked you have it all set up correctly? Has it ever increased your goal for you based on steps?

Never increased my goal. My step goal is 6400 and my calorie burn goal is 1800 a day (I set that myself since the bmr fitbit gave me was 1344)
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 483 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    1200 might work, but it seems low. I'm ~5'1 and currently 129lbs, my calorie goal is around 1350. This is pretty doable for me. Sometimes I eat back 50% of my exercise calories, sometimes not.

I have my fitbit connected too and it never adds exercise calories unless I get close to 10,000 steps. The only exercise I add to MFP is my lifting, if I forget my fitbit or some of my calisthenics.
  • LittleChipin
    Options
    AllyS7 wrote: »
    1200 might work, but it seems low. I'm ~5'1 and currently 129lbs, my calorie goal is around 1350. This is pretty doable for me. Sometimes I eat back 50% of my exercise calories, sometimes not.

I have my fitbit connected too and it never adds exercise calories unless I get close to 10,000 steps. The only exercise I add to MFP is my lifting, if I forget my fitbit or some of my calisthenics.

I read that fitbit won't add calories because you haven't been active enough that day (which is weird since I'm more active now than before and nothing gets added). So you still eat the exercise calories back? Just curious in how this thing works