Carbs and lifting weights

Options
What does everyone who lifts eat for carbs? I have been doing fairly low carb for about 5 months and I just started alternating weight lifting with my cardio. My friend that I work out with is on me non-stop to eat more carbs. She says I am not going to be able to lift if I don't. So far I have not had a problem, but I am not lifting that heavy yet. I eat 1200 calories, and my macros are set at 45% protein, 25% carbs and 30% fat. I don't usually eat all the carbs I am allowed on any given day.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    oats, lentils, beans, rice, quinoa, pasta, potatoes, sweet potatoes, bread (mostly sourdough), veg, fruit, etc
  • AnnKatty
    AnnKatty Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was looking more for the amount of carbs people are eating before hand. I usually eat a yogurt that has 14 carbs and a banana that has 23 carbs right before.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Extreme example, but my powerlifting coach has me on 50% carbs - 250 grams a day.

ETA: I don't specifically eat anything right before a workout. Or after, for that matter.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I don't really count carbs, but I eat a bowl of porridge in the morning before doing the school run then going to the gym to lift. I did try just having a bagel in the morning but then crashed halfway through lifting. Then once I get back home I'm usually starving and eat a carb and protein heavy meal. Today it was sweet potato mash and smoked mackerel, but sometimes it'll be pasta with a protein or chicken drumsticks with a couple of pumpkin rolls.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I am low carb, and before I got sick last year, I was able to lift just fine. To be fair, I did eat slightly more carbs when I was more consistent, but not by much. Sweet potatoes and winter squashes are my go tos.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    AnnKatty wrote: »
    I was looking more for the amount of carbs people are eating before hand. I usually eat a yogurt that has 14 carbs and a banana that has 23 carbs right before.

nutrient-timing-table_r4-01-1024x837.png

For the vast majority of people out there trying to get more fit, lose some weight, etc...it's not really going to matter.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I usually have coffee and a carby snack maybe 30 min before, then a bit of candy pre and post workout. I am bulking at around 400g+ carbs per day, which works out to about 50% of my intake.

I think if you feel good, your lifts are increasing, energy levels great, there is no reason to go crazy and carb out if that is something you don't want to do. Maaayybe if you were bulking I would recommend it, otherwise, keep doing what you are doing.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    oats, vegetables, fruit, wheat bread, pasta

I don't really try to time my carbs right around working out unless I am feeling blah and eat a few Sour Patch Kids. On a normal day I'll eat breakfast or dinner beforehand and that will include around 35 grams of carbs.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    What does everyone who lifts eat for carbs? I have been doing fairly low carb for about 5 months and I just started alternating weight lifting with my cardio. My friend that I work out with is on me non-stop to eat more carbs. She says I am not going to be able to lift if I don't. So far I have not had a problem, but I am not lifting that heavy yet. I eat 1200 calories, and my macros are set at 45% protein, 25% carbs and 30% fat. I don't usually eat all the carbs I am allowed on any given day.

Friends and their awesome advice. smh. I know powerlifters that eat no carb and do just fine. i eat about 50% carbs , sometimes more sometimes less depending if i wanna lose weight or what i'm doing . I've never had a problem lifting. My carb choices are anything but processed white stuff
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options

i usually dont eat anything before hand, or i will puke it all up.
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I eat very little carbs, usually try to stick to about 5%. I lift no problem, I follow the Stronglift 5x5 program and continue to go up with the weights. I've been low carb for nearly 8 months so I like to think I've fairly fat adapted. There is lots of reading material on the internet regarding successful weightlifting and low carb. It's whatever works best for you that will be the right thing to do. :smiley:
  • jordyngiulio
    jordyngiulio Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Everyone will tell you something slightly different. I keep my carbs incredibly low for medical reasons and have been lifting for almost a year with no problem. If you are noticing that you aren't progressing as you should, are overly tired or having any other issue at your current levels, add more in. But if what you're doing is working for you and you feel good, don't mess with it.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options

That should be more than enough to keep your energy up, if eaten 1-2 hours before. :+1:

• rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    You can add ground oats to a protein shake 1hr before training....I went from low carb sub 50g mon-fri to highish carb I just added more and more rice to start with
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Depending on the time of year, somewhere between 25g and 700g of carbs a day.

You'll be fine.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    When bulking: 250-450g per day, depending upon daily activity. Most of it comes from potatoes (all kinds), shredded wheat, oats, apples, peas, broccoli, and the various carb sources in protein bars.

When cutting: zero.