Help me with a psychological study!

Options
mialsya
mialsya Posts: 188 Member
I am taking an experimental psychology class this summer and my final project is on decision making processes when eating out. Please go to https://qtrial.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_bPF1m33888KLH7e and take the very short survey. When you are done, share it with your friends! I am trying to get a random sample of participants so I need as many responses as possible to analyze the data. Thanks!

https://qtrial.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_bPF1m33888KLH7e

Replies

• anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Is this for a methods course?
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Interesting survey. I've seen studies on that before actually. It'd be interesting to read about your results.
  • Terri_39
    Terri_39 Posts: 122
    Options
    Just did it, and good luck!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Done :)

Damn those onion rings though, really craving some now haha :D

Are you planning on posting the results you found?

Heidi
  • JessieEstes84
    Options
    Just did it!
  • pumpkinmoccasin
    Options
    Done :)
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    done! i want to eat there, the menu looks lush!!
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Done. USDA guidelines allow for more than 1,500 mg of sodium per day, though--is that incorrect information part of the study here? I majored in Psych, so I understand that you may be lowering the number in order to see if it makes a difference in people's responses.

I'd be interested in knowing how this turns out for you.

Kris
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Did it :)
  • Thriceshy
    Options

Looks like Chili's, if I'm not mistaken?

Kris
  • anjoweena
    anjoweena Posts: 28
    Options
    Doneeeeee. And posted it on my tumblr for some other people to take as well!
    Good luck!!
  • mialsya
    Options
    Is this for a methods course?

Yes. It's an undergrad course at Missouri State University (PSY302).

Technically, I cannot "publish" the results since the project hasn't been approved though the institutional review board and therefore doesn't follow the official APA rules for conducting studies using human subjects so I can't officially publish the results. I'm not sure if that means not sharing them outside of the university either.
  • MaryAnn919
    Options
    I just did your survey. I don't like most of the entree choices. I probably would have picked the same whether I was watching or not. Good luck.
  • tmd01029
    tmd01029 Posts: 12
    Options
    Done :) Good luck
  • mialsya
    Options
    Done. USDA guidelines allow for more than 1,500 mg of sodium per day, though--is that incorrect information part of the study here? I majored in Psych, so I understand that you may be lowering the number in order to see if it makes a difference in people's responses.

Kris

The new guidelines published in 2010 state:

"Reduce daily sodium intake to less than 2,300 milligrams (mg) and further reduce intake to 1,500 mg among persons who are 51 and older and those of any age who are African American or have hypertension, diabetes, or chronic kidney disease. The 1,500 mg recommendation applies to about half of the U.S. population, including children, and the majority of adults."

As a result of this statement, I put on there 1,500mg.

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/DietaryGuidelines/2010/PolicyDoc/ExecSumm.pdf
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Filled it out. Good luck with the research!

This makes me miss college. :(
  • mialsya
    Options

Looks like Chili's, if I'm not mistaken?

Kris

It's compiled from several different restaurant chains, and most of the dietary counts are taken from those menus. Some are exaggerated or modified in some way.
  • Thriceshy
    Options

Kris

"Reduce daily sodium intake to less than 2,300 milligrams (mg) and further reduce intake to 1,500 mg among persons who are 51 and older and those of any age who are African American or have hypertension, diabetes, or chronic kidney disease. The 1,500 mg recommendation applies to about half of the U.S. population, including children, and the majority of adults."

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/DietaryGuidelines/2010/PolicyDoc/ExecSumm.pdf

Interesting--are you part of or involved with an at-risk population that would require such restrictions, or was it just a choice with no other reasoning? Sorry, don't mean to grill you, but I'm interested. Back in the dark ages when I was in school, we had no cool, online ways of doing these sorts of things--we had to go to malls and restaurants and watch people--or worse, hassle them. It was rough, and I think it's great that some of it can be done this way now!

Kris
  • mialsya
    Options

Kris

Interesting--are you part of or involved with an at-risk population that would require such restrictions, or was it just a choice with no other reasoning? Sorry, don't mean to grill you, but I'm interested. Back in the dark ages when I was in school, we had no cool, online ways of doing these sorts of things--we had to go to malls and restaurants and watch people--or worse, hassle them. It was rough, and I think it's great that some of it can be done this way now!

Kris

The decision was two fold - first, with the statement that the "majority" of the population falls into this category, it is reasonable to believe that the "majority" of the sample pool will fall into this category as well. Second, after reading the USDA report on dietary recommendations, and how they are lowering them based on the declining health of the overall population, I felt it would be safer to go with the lower of the two figures. There was also a discussion about whether to include sugar counts as well since because diabetes is a growing concern, but I didn't want to add too many variables. It would make it too difficult to analyze the data.

And yes, the new way of conducting research and collecting data is super spiffy. :)
  • RubyHearts
    RubyHearts Posts: 67
    Options
    Done!