Running

Options
So I've started my journey of weight lose. Turns out running really excites me. However I am currently doing 2 min walk 1 min run for 30 minutes. Problem is I am so confused about how to strength train and train to run.
I've searched how and low just find out programs are really expensive or you just get a sample . I've gotten my hands on a C25K program,but when it says strength train I'm lost. I guess maybe I'm just looking for some guidance. Oh by the way, I'm 6 ft 1 in. weigh 228.6, male and the age of 40.

Replies

• CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Not really sure what you're asking, but the stronglifts 5X5 program is great for beginning strength training. Loads of articles and tutorial videos on Mehdi's website, and even a free app so you don't have to think, just follow the instructions.
    You may find it a little tough on the legs to run and strength train when the squats start getting heavy.
    I'm also doing C25K and was cycling to work every day. I've had to stop the cycling for a little while as the poor old legs just can't cope with everything!
    What's working well for me at the moment is alternate days of C25K and SL5X5 with one complete rest day.
    I'm a relative beginner at both programs though, so I'm sure you'll get some better advice from the good folks on here.

One little tip I can pass on with the stronglifts, although you start with light weights, use that time to really focus on your form and get it right.
    It doesn't matter so much when the weights are light, but they get heavy, quickly, and when you're working towards failure you want to be sure you're doing it right. Good luck!
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    for running i suggest c25k from zenlabs. it's free and it will ease you into running. 3 times a week, on alternate days.don't try to do more than that and take it really slow. I don't know about strength training because i don't do any but i'm sure there will be something similar out there. The days you don't run,you could focus on the strength training.
  • twobirdperch
    twobirdperch Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I started with c25K myself, and it was great for getting started, but somewhere along the way the weekly increase was just too much for me so I sketched out a plan of my own (listen to your body) As for strength training I got a kettlebell and started a short circuit I found online. So far so good.. Good Luck!
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I second the c25k app in order to gradually increase your run to walk intervals in a way that's designed to decrease risk for injury.

In regards to strength training, running can bring out muscle weaknesses you never knew you had, especially in the legs. As a result, strength training on non-running days can be really important. As suggested, you could try to do a structured program like Strong Lifts 5x5, however I find it to be difficult to uphold when I'm training for a distance run. Essentially, your body will benefit from any form of strength training in the beginning, whether it's with weights or body weight. The key is to make it progressively more difficult in order to bring strength. This means heavier weight or added resistance (ex. Going from knee push-ups to real push-ups to one leg push ups etc). I would suggest googling for free beginner runner strength programs. There is plenty out there without the need to pay.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner, and from the research I've done, Stronglifts is not recommended for runners. Lower weight and higher reps are. There are some ideas for strength workouts on runner's world. I like Body Pump classes because it's high reps without a ton of weight. I have great muscle definition without bulking that would impede my running.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    How about some bodyweight exercises to start? No equipment required.

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Give this a look to see if it helps: http://www.furman.edu/sites/first/Documents/16_oct2324.pdf
  • askem27
    askem27 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow guys, thanks for all the advice. I've started C25K and abit of kettle bell training on CT days. So far absolutely loving it.