I need some advice please!

Options
I'm a 19 year old female. I'm 5'2 weighing in at about 160 pounds. My goal for now is to loose about 30 pounds. I've always been pretty sedentary but the motivation to loose weight has stopped that.

Anyways, the point of this post is to see if my plan I have been sticking to is healthy and will aid in loosing weight... I eat 1,000-1200 calories per day burn off at least 500 at the gym every day. I also done eat any meat. I've kept this up for a week, and I am very exhausted by bed time, but overall I feel great. Is this a good plan?

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Are you eating back any of the calories you burn at the gym? I would start with eating half of them back and see how you feel and progress. Without them, you're only netting 500-700 calories a days, which is probably contributing to your tiredness....To work out properly, your body needs enough fuel to power it through.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    In short, no. Is 1100 -1200 your net or gross?

You're exhausted because if you're not eating any of your exercise calories back then you're netting 700-800 calories a day (assuming your logging is good). That's far too little for someone your age and activity level. That said, 500 calories seems a very high burn, I'm your weight and I'd have to go pretty hard to get 400 calories an hour.

You're likely heading rapidly for burn out.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Eat atleast 1200. You need the calories and nutrients. Especially if your exercising that much you should be eating atleast 1400. You have a small amount to lose so you dont need to be this drastic. Do your exercise, Eat your calories, Dont overthink it. WOuld hate for you to lose muscle mass from eating to little with all your hard work.

Also, Why dont you eat meat? If thats because you think its "clean eating" Theres no need, Iv lost 80 pounds in 9 months i eat whatever i want including sweets, salty snacks and hamburgers. And i never go to the gym i just walk.

ALL you need is the calorie defecit at a reasonable defecit and your body will work with you.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am 29 but I am 5'1" and 164lbs and aiming for similar weight range as you. I am eating 1400cals per day and half my exercise calories back which some days gets me close to 1800-2000 depending on my day. I'm losing at a rate of 1.5-2lbs per week. You can most definitely up your intake and still lose without burning out.

• courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    You are eating too few calories!! Enter your stats in myfitnesspal and eat the calories that gives you (choose 0.5 or 1 pound per week loss, no more).

Stopping eating meat is counterproductive. Getting adequate protein is essential for weight loss and to preserve muscle and encourage body fat loss!! Check the "nutrition" -> "nutrients" graph and make sure you reach your protein goal daily.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    and how/why did you pick 30lbs as your goal? maybe focusing on recomp would work for you - I'm 5'3", 150lbs and doing this - 130lbs would make me look sickly
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Do you mean you have stopped eating meat? If so make sure you're getting a decent amount of protein from other sources.

And do look for an online TDEE calculator to get an idea of how much energy your body uses in a day, so you can set upon a more realistic calorie goal. 1000-1200 is likely to make you frustrated very soon, could cause you to give up and return to old/bad habits. If you set a realistic calorie goal, something you can stick to for 3, 6, 9 months: you are more likely to find success.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    No, you should be eating 1200 minimum without exercise. If you're exercising, you should be eating at least half of those burnt calories back (I say half because machines and mfp database often overestimate's burns). I'm the same height, weigh less and 34 and I never eat below 1200. You should reevaluate and pick a less aggressive and appropriate goal.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    and how/why did you pick 30lbs as your goal? maybe focusing on recomp would work for you - I'm 5'3", 150lbs and doing this - 130lbs would make me look sickly

Well at 5'3" 130 is a reasonable goal. 150 would put BMI still as "overweight". I'm 5'4" and until I reach 145 I am still considered overweight (147 currently). I don't think the goal weight is a problem, it's the methods she's trying to use to get there.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    I'm trying to understand her logic behind the number - did she pick it because someone said she should only weight that...but then BMI is a bunch of hooey is you do any kind of working out (I'm overweight because of BMI and yet look like I'm about 15lbs less...I always have to step on the scale twice at the doctor because they can't believe I weigh what I do)
  • TiffanyLoveG
    TiffanyLoveG Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I did cut out meat for a cleaner diet... I make protein up with eggs, almonds, and protein bars. I work out twice a day so with all your advice I will probably up my calorie intake to 1500. I currently am not eating back the calories I burn off in the gym.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    I did cut out meat for a cleaner diet... I make protein up with eggs, almonds, and protein bars. I work out twice a day so with all your advice I will probably up my calorie intake to 1500. I currently am not eating back the calories I burn off in the gym.

That sounds good
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    IMHO, protein bars aren't that much cleaner than meat...
  • courtneyfabulous
    edited February 2017
    Options

Yeah that's true. I'd suggest some organic chicken, lean cuts of grass fed beef, wild salmon, organic turkey, bison... all those before reaching for a protein bar. Whey protein shakes are pretty good though, at least the one I use which is grass fed organic and sweetened with stevia and has minimal ingredients. I like to mix it with coconut water for a good post-workout shake.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    But yeah I consider protein bars to be treats, just things I have instead of a candy bar to satisfy my sweet tooth but that at least give me some extra protein while I'm having a cheat. I wouldn't use it in place of eating meat.
  • deannalfisher
    Options

Yeah that's true. I'd suggest some organic chicken, lean cuts of grass fed beef, wild salmon, organic turkey, bison... all those before reaching for a protein bar. Whey protein shakes are pretty good though, at least the one I use which is grass fed organic and sweetened with stevia and has minimal ingredients. I like to mix it with coconut water for a good post-workout shake.

ditto...the only time I have a protein bar/shake is if I undereat on my protein for the day based on my set macros and need to have something additional to make my goal - otherwise I hit 125g a day with normal food (including donuts!)