Getting back into lifting after long layoff

Options
jjpptt2
jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
I'm getting back into lifting after a long layoff. I've done 5/3/1 in the past with good success, and will likely pick it up again in the near future. But I'm not there yet (though, it may be more mental than physical).

I'm coming off a long layoff, about 10 months, with zero lifting. I figure it will take me a few weeks to get my technique dialed back in, at which point I'll get back on program. In the mean time, is there a recommended way to get back into it? I have my spreadsheet with all my lifts/reps/weights from before, but obviously I'm not there now. Any suggestions on where to start with weight/reps, and how quickly I should expect to progress (i.e. increase weight)?

Replies

• shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Just start slow. start the first week with just stretching and going through the movements with no weight, and then slowly add weight , or you will suffer from doms . If i were coming back after 10 months off, i'd allow at least 2 full months to get back into decent lifting shape. You can start your program now, thats what i'd do, just start it as if you are beginner.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm trying to be open minded here, but...

I tend to do most of my lifting during the winter, with little to no lifting during the summer. If I have to start over every winter, after taking the summer off, that's REALLY discouraging. If that's the case, then I'm basically gaining and losing the same weight AND gaining and losing the same strength year in and year out.

If that's the case, then say so and I'll just have to come to terms with it.

I'm currently doing what I consider moderate weight at higher reps, just to get myself back into lifting. That translates to 3 x 10 @ about 60% of my max for my upper body lifts, and 5 x 10 @ about 75% of my max lower body.

Any reason I can't use that weight (or something close) as my starting point with 5/3/1, and increase a little more quickly than the recommended 5 & 10lb increments until my +1 set reps get down to more reasonable numbers? That's kind of in line with what Lyle recommends in the article posted above... though his recommended starting weight was a little less.

Or should I keep doing what I'm doing for a few more weeks, then test my 1RM and go from there?
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I'm getting back into lifting after a long layoff. I've done 5/3/1 in the past with good success, and will likely pick it up again in the near future. But I'm not there yet (though, it may be more mental than physical).

I'm coming off a long layoff, about 10 months, with zero lifting. I figure it will take me a few weeks to get my technique dialed back in, at which point I'll get back on program. In the mean time, is there a recommended way to get back into it? I have my spreadsheet with all my lifts/reps/weights from before, but obviously I'm not there now. Any suggestions on where to start with weight/reps, and how quickly I should expect to progress (i.e. increase weight)?

Start back where you started when you first started? You have all your spreadsheets. Just start where you started then.
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I'm trying to be open minded here, but...

I tend to do most of my lifting during the winter, with little to no lifting during the summer. If I have to start over every winter, after taking the summer off, that's REALLY discouraging. If that's the case, then I'm basically gaining and losing the same weight AND gaining and losing the same strength year in and year out.

If that's the case, then say so and I'll just have to come to terms with it.

I'm currently doing what I consider moderate weight at higher reps, just to get myself back into lifting. That translates to 3 x 10 @ about 60% of my max for my upper body lifts, and 5 x 10 @ about 75% of my max lower body.

Any reason I can't use that weight (or something close) as my starting point with 5/3/1, and increase a little more quickly than the recommended 5 & 10lb increments until my +1 set reps get down to more reasonable numbers? That's kind of in line with what Lyle recommends in the article posted above... though his recommended starting weight was a little less.

Or should I keep doing what I'm doing for a few more weeks, then test my 1RM and go from there?

If that's the case, increase as much as you can handle as long as your form is solid.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    since you have experience and probalby a muscle base, you will progress faster than a beginner. But yeah stopping and restarting every winter, you do have a period of re-starting so you wont progress as fast as someone that lifts all year long. And yeah you are kinda just repeating cycles each year, there is nothing wrong with that. you are staying stronger and healthier than if you did nothing. Dont be discouraged, if its a system that works for you, thats great!